Retro Gamer 175

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Gibberish Driftwood

Retro Gamer 175

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:06 pm

Any thoughts on the new issue?
(Picture taken from the RG Twitter channel)
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

Antiriad2097

Re: Retro Gamer 175

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:46 pm

Nice free gift, been ages since I had one of these.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:29 pm

Hopefully my print subscription won't take three weeks to arrive (the current issue of Edge did... sigh), but thanks to the powers of Readly I'm thankfully able to read it digitally while I wait.

Didn't have much time to read yet, though, but the content does look pretty promising.

I'm somewhat puzzled by the participants in the Sound of Amiga feature: I can understand why most where asked/chosen, but why is Chris Hülsbeck missing (certainly a rather important composer also on Amiga) and why is Jeroen Tel included (who of course is immortal on C64, but I can't even remember if I ever heard something from him on the Amiga)?

I suppose there must be reasons for that, I'd be curious to know them if that's possible?

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:41 pm

No Christmas issue again?

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:17 pm

First glance - looks awesome. The calendar is brilliant!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:32 pm

Price change?
Image Image Image Image

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:20 pm

Eric wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:32 pm
Price change?
The price has increased by £1 because the paper quality is better now as it's no longer the thin, rippled crap which looks and feels like it's been printed on a cheap home printer which didn't dry properly. Thank god that mine, plus other's regular feedback on this has been noted.....oh wait.... :roll: :roll:

Ok, so this is officially the last time I will moan about this - it's not a dig at the mag team but why bother going to all the trouble of writing good articles and designing nice artwork if it ends up being published on paper which doesn't do it justice and can be sometimes almost unreadable? :( :(

So here is a crude comparison, Issue 60 vs the current one (both have 114 pages) :

PS, the calendar is cool and a very nice additional extra.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:48 am

Also, I always really enjoy "The Uncoverted" feature but Hot Rod was on the C64 (I own it and it's a great conversion) and I believe it was also on the other 8-bit & 16-bit computers also.

However, as I wish to end on a positive note: pages 100-101 are awesome :) :)
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:11 pm

Yes the paper is pretty poor, but at least it's readable. Again a shame no Christmas cover, but I'd happily swap that for the great calender.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

merman

Post by merman » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:22 pm

Weblaus wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:29 pm
Hopefully my print subscription won't take three weeks to arrive (the current issue of Edge did... sigh), but thanks to the powers of Readly I'm thankfully able to read it digitally while I wait.

Didn't have much time to read yet, though, but the content does look pretty promising.

I'm somewhat puzzled by the participants in the Sound of Amiga feature: I can understand why most where asked/chosen, but why is Chris Hülsbeck missing (certainly a rather important composer also on Amiga) and why is Jeroen Tel included (who of course is immortal on C64, but I can't even remember if I ever heard something from him on the Amiga)?

I suppose there must be reasons for that, I'd be curious to know them if that's possible?
Simply a matter of time. Chris was approached but did not reply.
Jeroen's work on the Amiga included Iron Lord, Supremacy and Agony (in-game).
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:29 pm

The price change is because it's a premium issue due to the inclusion of the calendar, just like the Super Play issue was a premium issue and cost a pound extra.
It will return to £4.99 with the next issue.
You won't notice it if you're a subscriber.
It's highly unlikely we'll ever do a Christmas cover in the future as they don't tend to sell. You never know though, we may do one in the future. I like to get them as close to Christmas as possible, and that just hasn't happened lately.

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:00 am

merman wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:22 pm
Simply a matter of time. Chris was approached but did not reply.
Jeroen's work on the Amiga included Iron Lord, Supremacy and Agony (in-game).
Thank you for the explanation. It's unfortunate Chris didn't get back to you, but I understand that you can't wait forever for something to happen.

I just wish Jeroen would understand that as well. I have to admit that he has sunken quite a lot in my esteem due to the way he's handling his Indiegogo-funded CD project. Oh well.

Arnie

Post by Arnie » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:30 am

A nice looking issue with some interesting articles, I won't be skipping as much this month as I have done in some resent issues. The calendar was a nice little touch too.

Fawltykog

Post by Fawltykog » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:41 pm

No 'F' bombs on the cover this month which was nice. :D

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:15 am

Liked the calendar and the sonic 2 feature. Haven't really looked through the rest yet although a moderate amount is not interesting to me personally.

PSN username - MartinPhantom