From The Forum issue 176 - Favourite football game

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

NickThorpe

From The Forum issue 176 - Favourite football game

Post by NickThorpe » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:26 am

Hello, world! We'd like to squeeze your heads until the sweet, sticky word juices flow forth from your brains - but until we get the Human Juicer 4000™ from Acme Industries, we'll just have to ask you a question instead. So, with the Minority Report on football games in mind:

What's your favourite football game?

For me, there's something about the bold, over the top nature of arcade football games from the 90s that is really appealing - I love games like Super Sidekicks and Virtua Striker. My favourite of the lot is Taito Power Goal (Hat Trick Hero 95), mostly because the tackles are actual flying kicks, and you can do ridiculously over the top shots that slam into the keeper with such force that his kit disintegrates.

subscriptions

Re: From The Forum issue 176 - Favourite football game

Post by subscriptions » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:48 am

There was a game I used to play with my brother, I just had to google it.

Redcard.

In all honesty, it was a terrible football game. The passing was crap, the AI had no idea how to break through a paper bag let alone a sturdy defence of Englishman on a football pitch.

but the real selling point of this game wasn't the AI or the articulate passing game.

There were two things that made this game incredible.

It had a system built in, a boost bar. By holding this as you tackle, you could, quite literally, perform a flying kick into your opponents face. Hold it while shooting? An innocent game of Football becomes a Matrix spin-off as your striker glides up into the sky performing outrageous bicycle kicks and various other feats that would make Neo jealous.

On top of this, through the 'World Cup' mode, you get the chance face off and unlock an array of strange teams. Head to the USA and face a SWAT team, unlocking a fancy stadium while you are there. You can head to Asia and face a team of battle-hardened Samurai. The Matadors are Europe's team of choice....my personal favourite though. A band of 11 adventurous Dolphins, all running around on their little flippers.

It was a truly ridiculous game.

Anyway, enough nostalgia, I am meant to be working....

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:52 am

My favourite is The Boss by Peaksoft on the Spectrum though that is a management game. I used to have some great late night, post pub drunken battles with my mates on World Cup Italia 90 on the Megadrive, back in the day. Great memories.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:05 pm

Favourite traditional style football game is probably Winning Eleven 6 Final Evolution for the GameCube, arguably the best iteration of WE (aka PES in the West) that has been hard to match since. Non-traditional football game, then probably Sega Soccer Slam, that was manic and a laugh to play seriously or not so seriously!
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:57 pm

Virtua Striker 3 is the best football game ever. RAINBOW!!

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:14 pm

Sensible World Of Soccer just pips Kick Off 2 to best football game ever for me. Trounces the likes of Fifa in the fun stakes.

merman

Post by merman » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:39 pm

Microprose Soccer on the C64, which Sensible Software made before the amazing Sensible Soccer. Banana kicks, rain storms, video replays, tournaments and a cracking six-a-side game to go with the traditional outdoor game. With Martin Galway's crazy music and crisp overlaid sprites, a truly great game.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:01 pm

European Football Champ (arcade). Great graphics and commentary and the perfect combination of football and flying kicks.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:00 pm

Hat Trick Hero, AKA Euro Football Champ, AKA Taito Cup Finals and about 89 other names has already been mentioned.

Sensible Soccer is definitely the best one, especially the Jaguar version with its enhanced A.I.

Striker is one that was huge at the time but isn't so well known now and is still tremendous fun.

Manchester United Europe, AKA European Club Soccer (Mega Drive) and European Soccer Challenge (Atari Lynx) is one of the best side scrolling attempts.

Fever Pitch Soccer is pretty good fun and a less serious affair.

Soccer Brawl on the Neo Geo for similar reasons as above only more so!

Lastly I will mention the wonderful Worldwide Soccer games on the Saturn that I still play to this very day.

palestsaint

Post by palestsaint » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:01 am

I think my favourites had to be Match Day and Match Day 2, superb at the time on the Spectrum. I also loved a goalkeeping game called Peter Shilton's Handball Maradonna which was brilliant.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:53 am

Can I say Mario football, or the football mini game on Monkey Ball? :lol: I like arcade type and OTT silly fun, much like the way I like racing games

Boulder

Post by Boulder » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:04 pm

merman wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:39 pm
Microprose Soccer on the C64, which Sensible Software made before the amazing Sensible Soccer. Banana kicks, rain storms, video replays, tournaments and a cracking six-a-side game to go with the traditional outdoor game. With Martin Galway's crazy music and crisp overlaid sprites, a truly great game.
This. I have so many good memories of Microprose Soccer, we played a lot of tournaments with friends. Rain storms meant a sure loss as the slide tackles just didn't work.. and the panic of trying to handle the goalie all of a sudden was really something :lol:

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:55 am

the MATCH DAYS on the speccy
tracksuit manager (typed in a GOOD scotland squad and was pretty successful too)
footballer of the year i played a lot too
emlyn hughes soccer was the first football game that was good enough to sim!

champ manager on the amiga, 14 seasons with man utd!
obviously SWOS but another one i simmed as i was complete rubbish playing it :P

the two sega worldwide soccers i was a big fan of

FIFA 98 road to the world cup ..... but it was only FIFA07 where i got back into it, again using it to sim entire seasons and actually watching the games because the AI in the game was fantastic

bounty bob

Post by bounty bob » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:05 am

Soccer, by Thorn EMI for the Atari. Very basic game with simple graphics but was the first footy game we had. Fond memories playing this with my big brother.
Atari 800XL thrashes the C64 every time!!!
(well, nearly everytime)
(OK, some of the time)

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:40 am

bounty bob wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:05 am
Soccer, by Thorn EMI for the Atari. Very basic game with simple graphics but was the first footy game we had. Fond memories playing this with my big brother.
Yes, this was a great game. Had it on cartridge. If nemory serves you could play a full 90 minutes in actual real time, can't remember any games that allowed that.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"