Retro Gamer 172 - With Super Play Magazine

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

romeoteknik

Re: Retro Gamer 172 - With Super Play Magazine

Post by romeoteknik » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:03 pm

Thanks guys, I did just send Helen a PM. I really didn't want to go that route unless it was drastic. I wanted to follow the 'chain of command' properly, contacting the email support staff, etc. It's been 12 days so far for me when the email support said it was dispatched (after their usual 'cant source a copy' copy/paste). It's very frustrating and especially now with a new month, do I have to worry about issue #173 and so on.... When does this end?? Perhaps it will, when the renewal comes and I don't bother, but until then, I want what I paid for.

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:41 pm

Yeah, I still haven't found one yet.... :cry:

If any kind hearted forum-type has a spare copy of 172 with the Super Play, I'd be happy to pay a tenner plus postage.... :)

I refuse to pay £20 for it on Ebay just coz some scalping feckers bought 5 issues meaning I couldn't find any though..... :x
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

romeoteknik

Post by romeoteknik » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:19 pm

Well, it seems Helen is no longer doing the forum duties, someone else took over and they don't have "spares". Unreal that I pay for a sub and the company, which is the source of the copies, don't print enough for these "lost in transit" scenarios. The reality is they have access to get copies, even if they have to on their own dime, to make their US subscribers happy or do reprints or add tracking numbers for overseas. But I doubt that, nobody seems to accept responsibility. I really don't see a point of "extending the sub as a token" if I'm not getting the issues in the first place. Terrible, absolutely terrible.

thegamesnotoveryet

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:05 pm

romeoteknik wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:19 pm
Well, it seems Helen is no longer doing the forum duties, someone else took over and they don't have "spares". Unreal that I pay for a sub and the company, which is the source of the copies, don't print enough for these "lost in transit" scenarios. The reality is they have access to get copies, even if they have to on their own dime, to make their US subscribers happy or do reprints or add tracking numbers for overseas. But I doubt that, nobody seems to accept responsibility. I really don't see a point of "extending the sub as a token" if I'm not getting the issues in the first place. Terrible, absolutely terrible.
Damn, Helen is no longer here? Well that sucks! Hopefully someone else of equal quality steps in to take her place.

Sadly, very few companies ever hold inventory for damages or lost orders. As ultimately it's extra inventory that isn't making them any money, and in a subscription based business, giving an extra issue keeps you on the hook that much longer. I order games and collectibles from big retailers all the time, and if something arrives damaged, and if it's already sold out, I'm out of luck. Only the publishers that directly sell their own items keep extra inventory, as it's their merch to begin with, and having extra's on hand insures happy customers who continue to shop there.

At the end of the day, I'm sure Future and anyone else still in physical publishing, just want's to get all items out of the door, as physical anything in this "digital" world, is getting harder and harder to keep selling. Most months they have extra issues, as the produce extra past what is needed, but when they have a really popular issue like 172, they sell it out quick, and then long term customers are left out in the cold. Selling these to subscribers probably isn't making them much money to begin with(since each issues is rather cheap), and if someone has to buy a replacement at retail, that's probably in their best interest vs giving someone a replacement copy. So I'm sure it's not a real high priority to anyone working there, which is rather sad, as without this dedicated audience, physical would probably no longer be around in general.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:00 am

Sadly I found I also have the same problem. Issue turned up today minus the bonus play issue. Quicker than usual but noticeably different packaging.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:35 pm

I messaged Mark again- And I want to thank Mark for doing his best to sort things out- Unfortunately there are no spares of Play left.

It is disappointing, as I'm sure I'm not the only one who purchased this online specifically for the Play issue. So paid extra for the issue (bumped up on the website to cover the freight) only to not receive it. So a bit frustrated, although I realise in the context of things a bit of a first world problem! :lol:

The issue is quite a good one though. :)

I will add I have since received two emails, neither I think pertain to me as it is about a PC gamer subscription. As I've never bought PC gamer let alone subscribed to it, it must be further teething problems they seem to be having. So if someone is waiting for something about a PC gamer subscription- it would pay to contact them again :)