Retro Gamer 172 - With Super Play Magazine

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

3fruits

Re: Retro Gamer 172 - With Super Play Magazine

Post by 3fruits » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:05 am

Amazing!! Best issue in ages!! And superplay!! Wow!! Awesome!!

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:10 am

Superplay would have been better if most of it wasn't just reviews of the games on the mini snes. Retro Gamer has already covered those games in a past issue. That being said, I am enjoying reading it though. I really miss the good ol' days, thank god for Retro Gamer and gamestm RETRO.

Null

Post by Null » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:59 am

Anyone received a double copy of The Super Play mini mag by some erroneous chance that they'd be willing to part with? Went to buy my magazine from the usual places a bit later than normal and couldn't find any copies. Resorted to dropping a tenner for it on eBay but it wasn't included (looks like they're already going for silly prices..)

At least this has finally got me to resubscribe to avoid this hassle again!

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:37 pm

Haven't received my sub yet, but the local shop in Melbourne got ten issues in last week and sold out seven of them in a single day - normally they stay on the shelf for a lot longer than that, definitely a popular issue!

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:16 am

Well, now I'm confused as I have now received a refund for this issue. I got an order confirmed email...then a dispatched email after several days...then a refund with no reason put in the email so I have to email back why.

I appreciate this is a popular issue, but pretty poor form to email saying it's dispatched (so not out of stock) then refund with no reason several days after that.

***Edited add on- thank you to Mark from subscriptions, who kindly PM'd me to personally chase it up and see what was happening, found it is still on the way and no refund was actually sent! Really strange, so will have another look at the email and paypal and in case it's a scam of some sort- just a heads up for everyone. Not sure if there was a link to follow in the email, but this was just weird :lol:

Thank you subscriptions and Especially Mark for the extra mile to chase it up :)

Jeremiah Jones

Post by Jeremiah Jones » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:43 pm

I received my issue in the mail on the 23rd without the Super Play in it, so I sent an email that same day to contact@myfavouritemagazines.co.uk with the order number in it but still haven't heard back. Is there something I'm missing?

thegamesnotoveryet

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:31 am

Jeremiah Jones wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:43 pm
I received my issue in the mail on the 23rd without the Super Play in it, so I sent an email that same day to contact@myfavouritemagazines.co.uk with the order number in it but still haven't heard back. Is there something I'm missing?
Yeah, that was probably a mistake at the packing level, as over the years, I've gotten extra items included, or had items missing when a magazine comes with bonus items. These sold out pretty quickly online, so unless they started holding back stock, you may have to try and find it locally, and just have them credit your account for another issue.

Anytime I've tried to get a replacement for anything, if it shows "sold out" online, that is normally the situation across the board. It seems Future has been trying to improve in certain areas, so hopefully having ample stock for damages and replacements will fall in to that category, but don't hold your breath. Just getting replies cold take days, and in a few situations, weeks when trying to get help at those email addresses.

Helen here in the forums is from "subscriptions", and she is who I have dealt with for my last few problems. Normally when she sees someone with any CS issues, she'll PM you to try and help out.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:17 pm

I noticed the paper in the Super Play mag was extra white and possibly thicker than the normal, but it still had some waves in it...
Not a bad issue (though I still fail to see the retro in the 3D PS1/PS2/xx games).

Jeremiah Jones

Post by Jeremiah Jones » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:18 pm

thegamesnotoveryet wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:31 am
Jeremiah Jones wrote:
Yeah, that was probably a mistake at the packing level, as over the years, I've gotten extra items included, or had items missing when a magazine comes with bonus items. These sold out pretty quickly online, so unless they started holding back stock, you may have to try and find it locally, and just have them credit your account for another issue.

Anytime I've tried to get a replacement for anything, if it shows "sold out" online, that is normally the situation across the board. It seems Future has been trying to improve in certain areas, so hopefully having ample stock for damages and replacements will fall in to that category, but don't hold your breath. Just getting replies cold take days, and in a few situations, weeks when trying to get help at those email addresses.

Helen here in the forums is from "subscriptions", and she is who I have dealt with for my last few problems. Normally when she sees someone with any CS issues, she'll PM you to try and help out.
Thanks for the heads up. They did indeed send an email warning of some copies being shipped without the Super Play and that they were holding extra stock of it, so I'm remaining cautiously optimistic for the moment, even though the auto-response they sent stated that their average target response time is 24 hours.

thegamesnotoveryet

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:43 am

Jeremiah Jones wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:18 pm
thegamesnotoveryet wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:31 am
Jeremiah Jones wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. They did indeed send an email warning of some copies being shipped without the Super Play and that they were holding extra stock of it, so I'm remaining cautiously optimistic for the moment, even though the auto-response they sent stated that their average target response time is 24 hours.
Those auto responses are garbage, and often the replies you get from CS, seem close to the same. I got several replies to my problems each time from CS reps, and I'm not sure anyone of them where ever from a human being, as I never once got a specific question answered. Most replies where, "sorry about that", "a new copy is on the way", or "We're sorry, that issue is sold out, so we will add another issue to your subscription". So often, the original question I asked was never answered, and that "24hrs", was often a week or more. I did always hear back from someone, but the time and the replies where often rather worthless.

Until I started dealing with Helen here, it was a head against the wall type of relationship at best. I'm glad to hear they are aware of the issues in regards to not including the Play with some issues, so I agree that hopefully they have replacements for all subscribers who may have missed out due to their errors.

Jeremiah Jones

Post by Jeremiah Jones » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:24 pm

I hope Helen notices my post. It's been ten days now without a response.

romeoteknik

Post by romeoteknik » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:16 pm

Now that it is October, I can say I have not received September's issue at all, despite the email support team saying it was 'dispatched'. Considering they have a distribution center in Pennsylvania, it boggles my mind that someone at the company in the UK (email support team), can't simply contact the management in PA and ask them what the heck is going on with US subs.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:45 pm

I can't remember where (didn't find it in 172), but wasn't there a recent issue that wrote about The Pawn but used a screenshot from Guild of Thieves?

thegamesnotoveryet

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:52 am

romeoteknik wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:16 pm
Now that it is October, I can say I have not received September's issue at all, despite the email support team saying it was 'dispatched'. Considering they have a distribution center in Pennsylvania, it boggles my mind that someone at the company in the UK (email support team), can't simply contact the management in PA and ask them what the heck is going on with US subs.
Well, my last few issues have been coming from overseas(to the US), so I'm not sure what they may be shipping from the US distro center now. They have also been coming with a lot faster shipping speed than when they first started. I'm guessing who ever had the plan of shipping to the US, and then shipping direct was fired, as that didn't last long. LOL

One of my first orders from myfavoritemagazine, once Future took over Imagine, was for the Zelda book and the Switch one being offered. Well, I got a shipping notice for the Zelda book, but not the Switch ones, which was odd for books in the same order. Well I contacted support, and they claimed the Switch books had shipped a day before the Zelda ones, so I waited.

Well, the Zelda book arrived, and almost a week with no Switch books. They finally arrived, only to have been shipped from the US(and rather poorly I might add), as it wasn't stated on their site at the time, but those books where the US versions. So CS completely lied to me, as the Switch books had never shipped when they said they did, as the post mark when they finally arrived, was from the US, and about a week before they arrived. So they didn't really ship, until about 2 weeks after they said they did, so I wouldn't put to much trust in the regular CS channels.

If I hadn't started dealing with Helen, I probably would have canceled my subscription at this point, but the last few months, have been some what back to normal for me anyways, so I haven't needed CS, but it sucks that others aren't getting proper service(still). They shouldn't put the 24-48 hr reply statement, unless it's something that is possible, and something they try their best to deliver on. My CS replies where anywhere from 2 days, to about a week. Then they would ask some stupid question I had already answered, only to start the process of waiting again, and then not really getting an answer when they got back the second time.

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:52 am

Helen is great, she helped me when I was in a pickle. The other girls were bloody helpless and just gave me copied and pasted replies which did nothing to help me. She deserves a raise!