From The Forum issue 173 - SNES Mini launch

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

NickThorpe

From The Forum issue 173 - SNES Mini launch

Post by NickThorpe » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:17 am

Hello friends. I may as well have tried to contact each of you individually by carrier pigeon, such is the state of the forum at present, but "The Carrier Pigeon Cometh" doesn't look as good on the Mailbag pages.

Question is: Are you getting a SNES Mini? How do you feel Nintendo has handled the launch this time around?

Some answers, assuming any can be successfully transmitted, will appear in the magazine.

ncf1

Re: From The Forum issue 173 - SNES Mini launch

Post by ncf1 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:54 pm

I was fortunate enough to place an order within the half an hour or so they were available here and was quite frankly disgusted at first at how few they were releasing at launch given the success of the NES mini. But upon reflection I think its a stroke of genius, as they know the panic and chaos in the streets it will cause, creating another instant legend in the process that people will talk about and sell for exorbitant prices on Ebay for many years to come. Nintendo, I applaud you!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:31 pm

Am I getting one? Who knows? I have one on order, but whether that will actually be fulfilled is anyone's guess. It's farcical.I can't comprehend why Nintendo didn't just take orders and manufacture until those were issued. It's a licence to print money, and they don't want it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:11 pm

I have two pre-ordered - one from the first round and a second for a forum friend who wasn't online when another lot came up. Seems to be some mystery with how many will be produced - it's a shame to see scalpers trying to rip people off on ebay (no change there).

HOLY censored THE FORUM IS AVAILABLE.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

batman877

Post by batman877 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:30 am

Yes, I pre-ordered as soon as it was announced. The NES mini was amazing and this will be even better! Bring on the N64 mini!

In terms of availability... worldwide demand is higher than what Nintendo can produce; you could argue that they are a victim of their own success but people need to realise that this is just a niche product and not their priority. The Switch, 2DS/3DS consoles and first party games are their priority (and rightly so). As long as my pre-order arrives safely I'll be more than happy!

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:15 pm

Have preordered from a usually very reliable supplier. As long as they aren't let down, neither will I be.

Got the Mini NES as well, didn't preorder but just saw it in a local store during one of the last runs after it was announced production was ceasing. So scraped in.
But I would have thought with hindsight Nintendo would have learnt from that, the Mini SNES will be a scalpers paradise sadly.

On a sidenote the new Atari Flashback (8) has caught me interest as it seems to have learnt a few features from the Nintendo Minis...and has the Activision games :)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:21 pm

I've love one to go with the NES Classic, but it's been nigh impossible to find anywhere in Australia that's kept their pre-orders open for long enough for me to put one in. I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope that Nintendo have a better handle on the demand this time around, and keep producing them for long enough to satisfy it.

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:24 am

I have 2 on pre-order, 1 from Argos and 1 from Smyths, so I have a good chance of getting one! If both arrive i will just sell one.
I also have the NES Mini that i pre-ordered on the day it was announced too so it will look great next to that.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:15 am

Won't be getting one due to the selection of games needing more collections of the same series.

I think Nintendo has done a disservice for the way they've done the release/number of units.

PSN username - MartinPhantom

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:17 am

yes , 1 for me , 1 for my lad
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

bounty bob

Post by bounty bob » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:13 pm

No. May buy a fake Chinese one for much less cost anymore games or stick to emulation on the Wikipad.
Atari 800XL thrashes the C64 every time!!!
(well, nearly everytime)
(OK, some of the time)

RichL

Post by RichL » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:55 am

Nope, cant get hold of one and not paying the scalpers.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:33 am

RichL wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:55 am
Nope, cant get hold of one and not paying the scalpers.
Nintendo seem to have announced they are shipping these well in to 2018 so should not be too hard to get hold of, and no need to pay scalpers.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:08 am

Have one on preorder

Might cancel as I have Everdirves,
But some of the games on it dont work on them

PROBLEMS!!

Ive been trying to post this for the past few days, FIX THE BLOODY FORUM!!

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:53 am

I have two on order from different suppliers, so all being well I'll at least end up with one! I was also one of the lucky ones that managed to snag a NES mini. The success of the original mini may have caught Nintendo on the hop, but they know exactly what they are doing with regards to the launch of the SNES. Hype built up from the previous console, (deliberate?) shortages, playing on the nostalgia factor and so on. It's a win-win. Do I agree with it? No. Yes I understand an initial shortage due to demand, but keep on making them to keep the fans happy!