Retro Gamer - Issue 171

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

WCopeland

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 171

Post by WCopeland » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:04 pm

Too cool! If any reader has follow-up questions about the whole Donkey Kong thing, let me know!

Wes

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:30 pm

Wes : you're a genius and I am jealous of you ;)

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:46 am

Not a great issue for me.
I'm sure the King of Kong article was covered in a similar way a few years ago, when the film was actually released. Seems a bit of a retread to me.
The rest of the articles...
Zaxxon looks good and I'm glad you said how awful ZX Spectrum version was.
Saboteur II also of interest.
Aliens looks ok too.
The rest looks a bit more meh for me.
I've never heard of the basketball game, or Wild Guns. Not a problem, before any writers jump in and say I'm wrong, but they aren't game genres that are of interest to me even if I'd heard of the games.
SNES mini just reads like an advert for the machine, sorry but it does. It could be an official Nintendo flyer.
The company profile is of a company that isn't even retro. Just a modern company that makes retro styled games.

Paper quality still poor and thin. 6 pages this month blurry. Unreadable captions on screenshots due to strange colour choices. The magazine has lost its special feel for me. It always used to feel like a quality premium product. It doesn't anymore.
This was the last of my subscription issues. Think I will be buying it on an ad hoc basis in future. Will buy when the articles interest me, and also will be able to see whether it has been printed in a readable form. That's what I ask of a magazine really, that I can actually read comfortably all the articles I've paid for.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:22 am

Thanks for everyone's feedback so far, we're taking all points on board :)

DRS

Post by DRS » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:23 pm

WCopeland wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:04 pm
Too cool! If any reader has follow-up questions about the whole Donkey Kong thing, let me know!

Wes
Welcome to the forum Wes! It was a pleasure interviewing you for the piece - and you were super helpful with all the stuff you provided including those playing tips. They helped me beat my fellow retrobates in a high score challenge so cheers!

Hope you stick around and readers, Wes provided loads more material than I could fit into the article so by all means, ask him any DK related stuff and I'm sure he'll be happy to answer :)

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:05 pm

WCopeland wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:04 pm

Wes
Hi Wes, as one of the younger Kong players when did you first play the arcade cabinet and what do you think it was about DK that you liked about it enough to go for the record.

What games retro or modern do you play for fun?

WCopeland

Post by WCopeland » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:52 pm

Eric wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:05 pm
Hi Wes, as one of the younger Kong players when did you first play the arcade cabinet and what do you think it was about DK that you liked about it enough to go for the record.

What games retro or modern do you play for fun?
Hi Eric, thank you for the question.
I first played the arcade cabinet in 2013. I was visiting the arcade regularly to play Defender, and got somehow got roped into a Donkey Kong tournament that I ultimately placed last in with an abysmal score of 19,000 points. From there I worked really hard to improve and get my first kill screen. Here's a rough tracking of my progress: http://i.imgur.com/tpm33fX.png

I like games that let the player have creativity and express their personalities... you don't get that with a lot of pattern-based games, but with high randomness games there are always multiple "correct" answers and you can build your own unique style. Donkey Kong definitely has that.

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:29 pm

I can't believe no one has mentioned the next month page. The return of a classic 90s mag as a free gift? It's almost 13 years since Retro Gamer gave away a tribute magazine. This is amazing news!

So, what do we think it could be? I assume it's a Future magazine. I'm hoping for Super Play (even if it is just a collection of Hyper Play articles in practice). Amiga Power would be nice, but the writers were killed by the four cyclists of the apocalypse in the final issue, which presents practical difficulties (Stuart Campbell has been played by several actors during the past 20 years). I'd even be happy with a Commodore Format tribute mag, though there's only so much Roger Frames I can handle in one sitting.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:21 pm

Zaxxon: You missed out on there being >1 C= 64 version (plus Super versions), and I think the A8 has the same. Confused Sega licencing.

Eric

Post by Eric » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:26 pm

The screenshots and sprites for Arch Rivals Making Of appear to be scaled incorrectly.

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:44 am

The Donkey Kong article was good. But I am bit disappointed you didnt include a review of Billy Mitchells hot sauce. :lol:
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:07 am

knight_beat wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:29 pm
I can't believe no one has mentioned the next month page. The return of a classic 90s mag as a free gift? It's almost 13 years since Retro Gamer gave away a tribute magazine. This is amazing news!

So, what do we think it could be? I assume it's a Future magazine. I'm hoping for Super Play (even if it is just a collection of Hyper Play articles in practice). Amiga Power would be nice, but the writers were killed by the four cyclists of the apocalypse in the final issue, which presents practical difficulties (Stuart Campbell has been played by several actors during the past 20 years). I'd even be happy with a Commodore Format tribute mag, though there's only so much Roger Frames I can handle in one sitting.
Or perhaps N64 Magazine? I really dug that mag back in the day,
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:26 am

N64 would be a bit of a waste of paper. PSM would be a better bet, overall PS1 had a bigger impact and more likely to drive sales.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:43 am

My bet would be C&VG personally!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:39 pm

C&BY is an 80s mag. At least that's when it was good and I'd consider it's classic period
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.