How long before I can report my copy of Retro Gamer missing?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

SRRAE1

How long before I can report my copy of Retro Gamer missing?

Post by SRRAE1 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:50 am

Hi,

I usually get my copy or retro gamer the day before of the day the email says its on its way. But its been a few days yet. How long do I have to wait before I can say its "missing"

Personally I think its my postman being a d**k.

The Laird

Re: How long before I can report my copy of Retro Gamer missing?

Post by The Laird » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:51 pm

SRRAE1 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:50 am
Hi,

I usually get my copy or retro gamer the day before of the day the email says its on its way. But its been a few days yet. How long do I have to wait before I can say its "missing"

Personally I think its my postman being a d**k.
The email that was sent out this week?

Those emails are sent out about a week before the issue even goes out to subscribers.

merman

Post by merman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:26 pm

The issue is due in shops Thursday, so subscribers should get it in the next couple of days.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:34 pm

17 days.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:49 pm

jdanddiet wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:34 pm
17 days.
Thought it was 16 (excluding public holidays!!)

Anyway, what email? I never get those??
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:17 pm

17 days? Maybe you havent been keeping up with events,bub, but we just got our asses kicked! 17 days? We aint gonna last 17 hours!!
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

SRRAE1

Post by SRRAE1 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:33 am

I got an email 3rd August saying the latest issue is on its way.
When comparing dates, it does seem to have arrived 10 days earlier than normal.

I usually get it delivered the day before, same day or day after I get the email.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:38 am

jdanddiet wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:34 pm
17 days.
Excellent work.

My gTM has arrived, no RG just yet so no need to worry yet per Merman.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

merman

Post by merman » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:56 pm

Got mine today
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:04 pm

Same, nice cover - not opened yet.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Zedrick

Post by Zedrick » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:59 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:49 pm
Anyway, what email? I never get those??
Yeah, what mail?

I don't want to complain, but... oh wait, I want to complain. I'm really tired or walking by the news agent on my way to work and seeing the new Retro gamer for sale, knowing that I will have to wait at least a week until I get my copy - usually around two weeks. This has been going on for years. Contacting the subscription people doesn't help (unless it comes to lost issues, I've had that problem once and got a new magazine within a few days).

It feels like we are being punished for being lowlife subscribers. How about being a bit Retro and make sure the subscribers gets their magazine within a reasonable timeframe? In the good old days I would get my favourite computer magazine 2 days before it hit the stores. I realise that that we live in different times with different distribution... things and stuff, but still. And it's not like I live in Novosibirsk or even Australia, I'm in Sweden which is a stone throw from the UK. A normal mail takes 2 days to or from the UK to here.

Is there not anything the RG staff can do about this, at least bring it up with the subscription people? Apparently customer complaints have 0 effect, and it is bad for the magazine in the long run (at least I imagine that subscribers bring in more money than selling through news agents and stores)?

thegamesnotoveryet

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:29 am

The email I get comes from Darran and it shows the latest issue's cover and talks about whats inside, with a link to back issues of the magazine as well. I didn't always get these, and I can't really remember when they started arriving(I want to say when Future took over, but that may be wrong), but they come to my inbox. It's normally the a week before they go on sale. Which is also the day Retro Gamer normally shows the new magazine on their social media pages, and announce when it will be available at stores(normally 7 days later).

So technically, if anyone follows RG on social media, the email really isn't necessary, as it comes when they show the latest issues there. I don't use social media, but I do check RG from time to time, so it's good for me to get the email, as sometimes I might not know a new issue is being released, until I happen to check for myself. Maybe Darran, or Helen in CS can chime in on how to set up the emails, as I have no idea how I started receiving them in the first place. I'm sure my email address is on file through my subscription info, and they send it based on that.

So my last one for issue #171 arrived on August 3rd, which was the same day it was shown on social media. And on social media, it also states it's due to arrive in stores on the 10th, which is one full week away. This has pretty much been the pattern each month as far as I can tell since I started receiving the email.

EDIT: So for those who don't get the email, check you junk mail boxes, as it may be going there.