From The Forum issue 172 - ZX Spectrum Anniversary

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

NickThorpe

From The Forum issue 172 - ZX Spectrum Anniversary

Post by NickThorpe » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:46 pm

Hi all, it's time for you to chuck your words into our blender and see what kind of pulpy goodness emerges. The question this month is…

How do you enjoy the Spectrum today?

35 years from its launch, the venerable Speccy can be enjoyed in all sorts of ways, from emulators on your PC to licensed plug and play devices like the Vega. Some of you are doubtless clinging on to the original hardware, others will be waiting for the ZX Spectrum Next, and others still don't play the machine at all today, preferring to cherish the memories without the possibility of tarnishing them with a bad modern experience.

As always, some of your answers will appear in the magazine, according to no particular selection criteria.

seekingvirtue

Re: From The Forum issue 172 - ZX Spectrum Anniversary

Post by seekingvirtue » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:56 pm

I love reading about the ingenuity and seeing all the homebrews. Diverse and, at the same time, solitary in the colors is something I never get over. :oops:

Everything for me is Emulation based, though I am hoping to get my hands on a spectrum next.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:02 pm

Great to see that so many Speccy programmers from back in the day are still loving the machine 35 years on. Hopefully we'll see many of them creating games for the Spectrum Next.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:06 pm

I mostly play Spectrum games on a DS these days. A Spectrum in your pocket, who knew that day would come all those years ago!

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:10 pm

I still love the Spectrum, I have a nice collection of games, probably about 60, mostly the ones i had as a kid.
I have a few Spectrums in my collection, a ZX81, 48k (Rubber Key) and a 128k +2b.
I mainly use the 48k as this was the one i had when i was young so has the most nostalgic memories for me.

seekingvirtue

Post by seekingvirtue » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:57 pm

fredghostmaster wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:06 pm
I mostly play Spectrum games on a DS these days. A Spectrum in your pocket, who knew that day would come all those years ago!
how on earth did you manage getting them on a DS?

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:06 pm

seekingvirtue wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:57 pm
fredghostmaster wrote:
There's an excellent emulator called ZXDS that you can download from here:

http://zxds.raxoft.cz/

You will need a flash cart though, and the forum rules preclude me from tell you where you can get one of those from.

Personally, I go a bit more high tech and run Spectaculator on a GPD Win these days.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:43 am

Dare I mention the Vega+ ?! :wink: I was seriously looking forward to seeing it emerge, but looking more unlikely as time passes.

Otherwise, emulator is the only way I can currently remember the Spectrum. Or screenshots from the mag :lol:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:59 am

Matt_B wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:06 pm
seekingvirtue wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:57 pm
fredghostmaster wrote:
There's an excellent emulator called ZXDS that you can download from here:
http://zxds.raxoft.cz/
On the ZXDS note, can I suggest that any regular users make a small donation to the author?

I did so a couple of years back as he was (is?) still updating it long after most DS homebrew authors had stopped, and he sent me back an email expressing both his thanks and his surprise, as despite many thousands of downloads, he's had very few. At the very least, ping him an email to say how much you enjoy it if you can't/won't donate.

It seemed only fair to me, since I think I've used ZXDS far more than I have any commercial software on my DS. It's really well done with games on the top screen and keyboard on the bottom and is a perfect fit for the system, Spectrum games look incredible on it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

stvd

Post by stvd » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:18 am

I still have my 48K+ but don't use it nowadays.

However, my spectrum usage is still regular via emulation.
My PSP has Fuse-PSP and the original Xbox has both Fuse and DidntXSpectrum.
Both are great but I do still prefer to play using the keyboard so its via ZXspin on my laptop or Spectaculator on my desktop.

One of the main reasons to buy my first PC was the thought of running a spectrum emulator (zx32 IIRC) and it was the very first thing I did when I bought it. Downloaded from work (didn't have internet at home) and taken home on a floppy! :)

DRS

Post by DRS » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:24 am

I enjoy my Spectrum every morning as it sits just above the loo - a zombie-fleshed 48K model signed by Matthew Smith and Rick Dickinson - and always puts a smile on my face.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:26 am

I have a mint condition Spectrum +3 with a DivMMC slotted in the back, near enough every game ready to play. I just prefer playing on the original hardware, there is something magical about it.

malczx

Post by malczx » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:31 am

I travel back to my beloved Spectrum days using different types of emulation - GameBase on my Windows laptop, then the Recreated Bluetooth ZX Spectrum on my tablet, and finally for that really portable option ZXDS on my Nintendo DS XL!

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:52 am

still got my rubber key'd spectrum 48, except the power connection is too wobbly for it to work
got a couple of +2's and loads of my games still
ALL my YOUR SINCLAIRS from issue 7 and the tapes

tried them a couple of years ago and they still worked ..... the +2's not every game, that would be silly
:D

not played a game on emulator for donkey's years

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:12 pm

Though I still have my 48+ (with loose power point) and numerous original titles, I now only have time to game via emu. Must get myself a USB for my Kempston, though, despite being a King of Keys on a laptop.