Retro Gamer - Issue 170

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Sputryk

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 170

Post by Sputryk » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:51 pm

Nothing to do with this issue...but...can anyone tell me the name of the Japanese arcade in Ikebukuro that got a page long article a few months ago? I'm visiting again, and plan to include a nosey to see how it stacks against the joints in Akihabara. Arigatou minasan! :D

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:13 am

Re the Peripheral Vision Sega control stick - is it really unusual and a 'boon to left handed players' to have buttons to the left of the stick? As a right handed gamer I much prefer to control with my right and 'shoot' with my left?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:15 pm

Sputryk wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:51 pm
Nothing to do with this issue...but...can anyone tell me the name of the Japanese arcade in Ikebukuro that got a page long article a few months ago? I'm visiting again, and plan to include a nosey to see how it stacks against the joints in Akihabara. Arigatou minasan! :D
Found it! 'Mikado' in Takadanobaba, just outside Ikebukuro. :D

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:18 pm

Sputryk wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:15 pm
Sputryk wrote:
Well done. Would be interested to hear your opinion on it. It sounded great.

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:48 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:18 pm
Sputryk wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:15 pm
Sputryk wrote:
Well done. Would be interested to hear your opinion on it. It sounded great.
Will be over there during November. Will try and compare with Sega/Taito over in Akihabara where I usually venture - though Sega does appear to have gone all modern, so likely only Taito is a contender for most 'retro' 'cade.

Mikado does have its own website, though all game titles are in Katakana scripture. Have fun deciphering! :mrgreen:

miqrojamie

Post by miqrojamie » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:50 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:48 pm
No use aiming for the newer gamers, most of them get there games stories from Youtube and those annoying Facebook videos that seem to be aimed at ADD types
Heh, even reading magazines is becoming retro now kinda, and reading in general from paper and not online... :P
And yes, I find those videos that are catered towards the ignorant of the 'newer gamers' irritating too...
Jamie Dignam | miqrojamie
My Blog

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:40 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:13 am
Re the Peripheral Vision Sega control stick - is it really unusual and a 'boon to left handed players' to have buttons to the left of the stick? As a right handed gamer I much prefer to control with my right and 'shoot' with my left?
Me too. I always thought it was weird that arcade cabs and joypads got this the wrong way round after a while, it took me ages to get used to that once I got a Playstation (never much played console games before then).

Early cabs had a stick in the middle and buttons either side so you could go either way. 8 bit sticks tended to default to being held in the left hand with a button under your thumb and stick in the right hand (thanks Atari for getting that right), so the lefty way seems wrong to me.

Its one of the reasons I made my arcade stick with twin sticks, so I can chop and change to suit the game. Some game I'm much better at with stick in my right hand, even after all these years.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:26 am

Did anyone have difficulty moving from micros to consoles controls? Joystick to joypad switched the directions from your right hand to your left thumb, took some getting used too.

driver695

Post by driver695 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:38 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:10 pm
They've barely scratched the surface of 8 bit. There's masses of scope to cover lesser known systems, companies and games, not to mention all the arcade stuff that somehow gets bypassed.
Yep - Lots of scope for more Arcade coverage.

Enough of the Dizzy - if you want to interview the Olivers - again - ask them about the ZX Vega+ ;)

driver695

Post by driver695 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:53 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:13 am
As a Lefty I would hate the Sega control stick. As per Marvin I want to control with my dominanat hand....