Retro Gamer - Issue 170

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

The Laird

Retro Gamer - Issue 170

Post by The Laird » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:50 pm

Featured In This Month's Issue:

Final Fantasy XII - 30th Anniversary
From The Archives: Tronix
Codemasters Collectors Guide
In The Chair: David Kelly
35 Years Of The Commodore 64
License To Thrill: Platoon
Classic Moments: Starglider
Peripheral Vision: Sega Control Stick
Pushing The Limits: The Lost World
Minority Report: Sega Mega Modem
Hardware Heaven: Sega Mega CD
The Making Of: StarCraft
Ultimate Guide: The Ninja Warriors
Future Classic: Dishonored
The Making Of: Obsidian

And Much Much More!

Nikolai

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 170

Post by Nikolai » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:33 pm

Nice! Looking forward to reading it.:) Any plans to review the Spectrum documentary for the next issue btw?

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:46 pm

Were any of the pages out in the sun? The colours on pretty much every page are very washed out / faded, the black on page 46 is grey, the blue on page 58 is significantly lighter that the next page.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:16 pm

Pages 46 and 47 are completely unreadable. Grey print on black paper? I'm assuming this is a misprint.

Annoying because it's an artic game.

Can I get a new copy please?
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

RichL

Post by RichL » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:49 pm

That is a very nice cover, got my issue today.

No issues with any of my pages following my brief flick.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:59 pm

slacey1070 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:16 pm
Pages 46 and 47 are completely unreadable. Grey print on black paper? I'm assuming this is a misprint.

You need to contact subscriptions if you have any problems with your issue and they may be able to help. retrogamer@servicehelpline.co.uk
Looking at my own copy those two pages you mention are absolutely fine.
The actual page should be black not grey, so that does sound like it's not correct.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:06 pm

Ok thanks... I'll ping them.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:50 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:59 pm
slacey1070 wrote:

You need to contact subscriptions if you have any problems with your issue and they may be able to help. retrogamer@servicehelpline.co.uk
The actual page should be black not grey, so that does sound like it's not correct.
Umm, the page is black, he said so.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

merman

Post by merman » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:59 pm

Got a couple of dodgy pages in mine too
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:08 pm

Well for me the worst issue in years.
So much Final Fantasy, feels like 1/3 of the magazine.... and Final Fantasy XII ISN't retro and you won't convince me otherwise.
Codemasters again. I'm bored of them now. They and their egg character seem to have popped up a lot lately.
Tronix are even more obscure than Bally whatnot from last month - surely if these companies had released anything good we'd have heard of them.
Apart from the Commodore 64 a article there is nothing that I'm really looking forward to reading.
Also in my copy at least 2 articles are borderline unreadable due to a combination of poor colour choice, and poor printing. It is getting ridiculous. How long can people keep saying there is no issue, when lots of people are saying evidence to the contrary.
Also it is so thin. It feels really cheap, wheras it used to have a quality paper feel about it.

Articles that don't appeal won't stop me renewing my subscription - there are obviously going to be some months less appealing to my tastes than others. However aricles i constantly cannot comfortably read will really make me think whether it is worth giving my hard earned money to Future publishing.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:26 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:50 pm
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:59 pm
slacey1070 wrote:

Umm, the page is black, he said so.
My bad, I misread it. It's still perfectly easy to read on the office copies.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:28 pm

ianpmarks wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:08 pm
Well for me the worst issue in years.
So much Final Fantasy, feels like 1/3 of the magazine.... and Final Fantasy XII ISN't retro and you won't convince me otherwise.
Codemasters again. I'm bored of them now. They and their egg character seem to have popped up a lot lately.
Tronix are even more obscure than Bally whatnot from last month - surely if these companies had released anything good we'd have heard of them.
Apart from the Commodore 64 a article there is nothing that I'm really looking forward to reading.
Also in my copy at least 2 articles are borderline unreadable due to a combination of poor colour choice, and poor printing. It is getting ridiculous. How long can people keep saying there is no issue, when lots of people are saying evidence to the contrary.
Also it is so thin. It feels really cheap, wheras it used to have a quality paper feel about it.

Articles that don't appeal won't stop me renewing my subscription - there are obviously going to be some months less appealing to my tastes than others. However aricles i constantly cannot comfortably read will really make me think whether it is worth giving my hard earned money to Future publishing.
We'll pass on your concerns about the print quality.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:03 pm

I'm compelled to complain too. The articles with black backgrounds are unreadable. I don't know what happened with the printing in this issue but I hope it's the last time it occurs. Poor show.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:10 pm

Nemesis wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:03 pm
I'm compelled to complain too. The articles with black backgrounds are unreadable. I don't know what happened with the printing in this issue but I hope it's the last time it occurs. Poor show.
This has come up with readers on rllmuk as well. It looks like the plates have moved or something on the images I've seen, so I'll try and get some information.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:25 pm

Thing is darran, there are issues with printing almost every issue now. It's getting frustrating. I just want to be able to read the mag!