Retro Gamer - Issue 169

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

NorthWay

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 169

Post by NorthWay » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:37 pm

Skramble was a nice angle. Try to do that again with something else.
Text adventures was near about as non-minority as you could get. I expected the C= 64 disk version of The Hobbit at least.

Not all that bad all in all. I still haven't jumped at the "main event" for I don't know how many issues...

seekingvirtue

Post by seekingvirtue » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:23 pm

This issue had a really great coverage of Dizzy. I love the little feller. As far as Mr. Buffo's idea of games as meditation, i'm not sold on the idea.

Boulder

Post by Boulder » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:09 am

Funny reading about things in Retro Gamer being obscure. I feel that one important job for the magazine is to bring up companies, people and games who are not known to all people. I'd rather read about unknown people in the old scene than read the same stories about Archer MacLean, Ron Gilbert or Jordan Mechner, or the many all-star Japanese developers which we've had dozens of times already.

I liked the text adventure article although I have to agree that The Hobbit and The Pawn are not minority but very well known. I'd say that the two Lord of the Rings text adventures would have been more obscure, I've never played them myself and I used to like text adventures back in the day. Speaking of which, it would be nice to hear whatever happened to the people of Magnetic Scrolls. Anita Sinclair all but disappeared and you could say that she was one of the first front ladies back then.

By the way, in this magazine, all the articles were legible. Some small smudges here and there but nothing compared to the previous one.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:26 pm

Oh yes, no such thing as too obscure in retro. The more WTF the better.