Retro Gamer - Issue 169

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
ianpmarks
Posts: 457
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:49 am

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 169

Post by ianpmarks » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:20 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:24 am
ianpmarks wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:32 am
I forgot you are not allowed free speech on this forum anymore. Silly me.
That's clearly not the case.
You're not allowed to be rascist on the forum as the AUP states, but you're clearly allowed to say if you don't like elements of the magazine. We can't improve things if we never allow negative feedback.
People are clearly going to disagree with you if they don't agree with your comments, which is what has happened here. Somehow though that has turned into you not being allowed to say what you think, which simply isn't the case. Also you're always going to get people defending something they like, have you ever been on a Nintendo forum?
Ultimately, of course you can say what you like, but that doesn't mean people will agree with you. And yes, it was a minor comment.

Also no one said your comment was ridiculous, just bizarre.
Ok, I have no problem with people disagreeing with my views but Merman was telling me what I should say in my feedback. That was my issue.

User avatar
ianpmarks
Posts: 457
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:49 am

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 169

Post by ianpmarks » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:29 am

English Invader wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:45 am
ianpmarks wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:56 am
Also I've never heard of Bally Sente, or a single one of the games mentioned they wrote... are you just making up software and software houses now? If not they are so obscure as to be ridiculous.
The whole point of journalism is to inform readers of things they don't know. A quick google confirms the company's existence:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sente_Technologies
I realise it does actually exist, my comment was a humerous one about whether they were naking things up. but I've said I quite liked the article so can't really see a problem anymore.

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6738
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 169

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:53 am

ianpmarks wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:20 am
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:24 am
ianpmarks wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:32 am
I forgot you are not allowed free speech on this forum anymore. Silly me.
That's clearly not the case.
You're not allowed to be rascist on the forum as the AUP states, but you're clearly allowed to say if you don't like elements of the magazine. We can't improve things if we never allow negative feedback.
People are clearly going to disagree with you if they don't agree with your comments, which is what has happened here. Somehow though that has turned into you not being allowed to say what you think, which simply isn't the case. Also you're always going to get people defending something they like, have you ever been on a Nintendo forum?
Ultimately, of course you can say what you like, but that doesn't mean people will agree with you. And yes, it was a minor comment.

Also no one said your comment was ridiculous, just bizarre.
Ok, I have no problem with people disagreeing with my views but Merman was telling me what I should say in my feedback. That was my issue.
So just ignore him?
Image

User avatar
merman
Posts: 6346
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:14 pm
Location: Skegness, UK
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 169

Post by merman » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:51 pm

ianpmarks wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:20 am
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:24 am
ianpmarks wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:32 am
I forgot you are not allowed free speech on this forum anymore. Silly me.
That's clearly not the case.
You're not allowed to be rascist on the forum as the AUP states, but you're clearly allowed to say if you don't like elements of the magazine. We can't improve things if we never allow negative feedback.
People are clearly going to disagree with you if they don't agree with your comments, which is what has happened here. Somehow though that has turned into you not being allowed to say what you think, which simply isn't the case. Also you're always going to get people defending something they like, have you ever been on a Nintendo forum?
Ultimately, of course you can say what you like, but that doesn't mean people will agree with you. And yes, it was a minor comment.

Also no one said your comment was ridiculous, just bizarre.
Ok, I have no problem with people disagreeing with my views but Merman was telling me what I should say in my feedback. That was my issue.
And my issue is that BECAUSE YOU THINK Sente is an obscure company, that means Retro Gamer should not write about it.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

User avatar
ianpmarks
Posts: 457
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:49 am

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 169

Post by ianpmarks » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:30 pm

Block capitals... nice.
Show me where I say RG shouldn't write about them. I make no comment one way or the other. I just said they were very obscure - which they are. For goodness sake, no need for the angry caps lock. As I keep saying I quite enjoyed the article. Really don't see the problem.

User avatar
ianpmarks
Posts: 457
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:49 am

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 169

Post by ianpmarks » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:40 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:53 am
ianpmarks wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:20 am
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:24 am

That's clearly not the case.
You're not allowed to be rascist on the forum as the AUP states, but you're clearly allowed to say if you don't like elements of the magazine. We can't improve things if we never allow negative feedback.
People are clearly going to disagree with you if they don't agree with your comments, which is what has happened here. Somehow though that has turned into you not being allowed to say what you think, which simply isn't the case. Also you're always going to get people defending something they like, have you ever been on a Nintendo forum?
Ultimately, of course you can say what you like, but that doesn't mean people will agree with you. And yes, it was a minor comment.

Also no one said your comment was ridiculous, just bizarre.
Ok, I have no problem with people disagreeing with my views but Merman was telling me what I should say in my feedback. That was my issue.
So just ignore him?
What like he ignored me! Or for that matter like you ignored me?
That really is a bizarre comment, and hypocritical too. There really is no need for you to wade in with a snidey comment. You are the editor of the magazine for goodness sake.

User avatar
ianpmarks
Posts: 457
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:49 am

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 169

Post by ianpmarks » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:49 pm

Also if anyone else who works for the magazine wants to chip in and criticize one of their loyal readers/subscribers then feel free. It's great customer relations.

User avatar
ianpmarks
Posts: 457
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:49 am

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 169

Post by ianpmarks » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:25 pm

It's been pointed out to me on another forum that Laird (the articles writer no less) gave an excellent response to my feedback, and I thought I should give him credit for that. He didn't tell me what I should of said, or make snide comments. He offered a balanced reply that added to his argument of why he wrote the article. So thank you to him for showing professionalsm in this from RG's side.

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6738
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 169

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:28 pm

No one is making snide comments. I'm sorry you feel that way, but I don't feel I've done anything wrong in this instance.
It's worth noting that freelancers aren't members of staff, so they don't speak for the magazine on this forum.
Obviously, if you feel they do represent the magazine then I can't change your opinion.
The only official members of RG are Nick, Drew, Sam and myself.
And you're quite right, no one should tell you what you can and can't do. And using block capitals doesn't do Merman any favours.
Image

User avatar
ianpmarks
Posts: 457
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:49 am

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 169

Post by ianpmarks » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:42 pm

Freelancers or not, people that write for your magazine should show some professionalism when talking to readers on this the official forum. They are paid by the magazine after all. Not wade in with over the top defences of articles not even by them. Especially when the actual author showed them how it should be done. If your responses were not snidey then they certainly read that way. Perhaps you should have followed your own advice and just ignored me.

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 169

Post by The Laird » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:09 pm

ianpmarks wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:32 am
If you read my posts I never said I didn't enjoy it, just that I'd never heard of them or any of their games. I actually quite enjoyed the article - I have heard of Ed Rotberg etc. - It was just a comment about how obscure they were.
In that case I am glad you enjoyed reading it.

But if you think Bally Sente are obscure you will hate my article next month 😂😂😂

User avatar
ianpmarks
Posts: 457
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:49 am

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 169

Post by ianpmarks » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:17 pm

The Laird wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:09 pm
ianpmarks wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:32 am
If you read my posts I never said I didn't enjoy it, just that I'd never heard of them or any of their games. I actually quite enjoyed the article - I have heard of Ed Rotberg etc. - It was just a comment about how obscure they were.
In that case I am glad you enjoyed reading it.

But if you think Bally Sente are obscure you will hate my article next month 😂😂😂
More obscure than Bally Sente! I'll await with interest. Is it the team behind Soho Sex Quest on the ZX Spectrum? I'd pay good money to read that.

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6738
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 169

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:39 pm

ianpmarks wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:42 pm
Freelancers or not, people that write for your magazine should show some professionalism when talking to readers on this the official forum. They are paid by the magazine after all. Not wade in with over the top defences of articles not even by them. Especially when the actual author showed them how it should be done. If your responses were not snidey then they certainly read that way. Perhaps you should have followed your own advice and just ignored me.
As you pointed out earlier, your voice is as important as any other reader so you shouldn't be ignored by staff.
I've spoken to Andrew, hopefully we can continue with feedback. Good or bad :)
Image

User avatar
Ryan GH
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:29 pm
Location: Perth Australia

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 169

Post by Ryan GH » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:32 am

I have to post here about Tina, one of the subscriptions people. I've been having alot of issues lately having accidentally signing up to Future for Retro Gamer when I should have signed up with Imagine to continue my sub. She managed to sort out the mess and even extended my sub by a couple of issues as I've been back and forward with subs for weeks now. She came up with a resolution which we are both happy about.
So Thanks again Tina for being brilliant!

User avatar
Eric
Posts: 665
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 169

Post by Eric » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:59 am

The italic screenshots in the Bally Sente feature made me dizzy!😂

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest