Subscription delivered by post damaged nearly every time

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SRRAE1

Subscription delivered by post damaged nearly every time

Post by SRRAE1 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:00 am

Hi,

I was hoping for some advice. I've subscribed to Retro Gamer for nearly 5 years now and mostly everything is great.
Some times my magazine would arrive slightly more creased that I'd like but, but after its been read and in the pile of the 60 other issues I have it straightens out.

However I'd say over the past 18 months, my magazine had varying amounts of damage on the spine, obviously been caused by the postman either bending it or cramming it in the bag.
Sometimes its just a horrible looking white crease on the side but other times the spine is torn nearly all the way thought.

Previously this would happen every now and then but after inspecting the last 12 months of issues, there are only 2 which don't have any damage.

I enjoy this magazine because I like reading it and I like collecting it. The lovely pile of lined up multi-coloured matching spines of Retro Gamer is ruined because of the horrible lined up spin tears and creases.

I want advice on what my options are.
I've complained to the Royal Mail, and despite their web form saying they will contact within 2 working days, 5 days later no reply.
I could go the shop and buy it but its more expensive and the closest shop which sells it is a supermarket, which I don't go to, in town and its more expensive.

I'm in two minds, to actually cancel my subscription. I'd be happy to pay a little more to get it delivered another method or have sturdy packaging.

I've made a little youtube video of what the damage is like. Please tell me if Im also being petty about it.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=Q-seeJ6U82I

RetroBob

Re: Subscription delivered by post damaged nearly every time

Post by RetroBob » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:50 am

Rather than getting it from a shop, have you considered having it delivered to a friend/family member to see if it is a postman issue?
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Darion0

Post by Darion0 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:22 am

Hi. I have had the same problem with my sub deliveries with both Retrogamer and GamesTM with cover/spine damage. I do tend to be quite picky with books though I see it as "I've paid for it so why not expect good condition". Load 169 was atrocious in my mind and to make matters worse the sleeve it's delivered in was ok. It appears it was packed in this very poor state.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:53 am

That video link doesn't work by the way

SRRAE1

Post by SRRAE1 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:01 am

RetroBob wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:50 am
Rather than getting it from a shop, have you considered having it delivered to a friend/family member to see if it is a postman issue?
That's a good idea.

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:27 pm

Never had damaged issue in three years until the change of plastic bags brought in by Future, 168 & 169 have various tears on front & back covers.

I reckon changing back to the higher quality Imagine blue thicker bags would phase out a large percentage of the damage.

thegamesnotoveryet

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:48 am

Eric wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:27 pm
Never had damaged issue in three years until the change of plastic bags brought in by Future, 168 & 169 have various tears on front & back covers.

I reckon changing back to the higher quality Imagine blue thicker bags would phase out a large percentage of the damage.
For me, since Future has been shipping from within the US, and using these new bags, my issues have been much better. Within the last year of getting them from Imagine, with the blue bags, I was getting damages pretty regularly. I would say in the last 6 months, I've gotten more damages in that time, than I did over several years. So something was happening in the shipping for sure.

So for me, the damage issues have improve so far with Future, but the delivery time is still on the "bad" side, as I'm still waiting on 168 to arrive. Over a week ago, other US buyers have gotten theirs, but me being near the west coast, shipping is taking way longer than it should.

SRRAE1

Post by SRRAE1 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:38 pm

I don't think it is anything to do with the quality of the bag used. It will offer little protection over a it obviously being bent while placed in the postman's/postwoman's bag.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:51 pm

I've been getting it shipped to the other side of the world (New Zealand) for about 8 years, and I've never had a damaged issue, so it could well be to do with the local postage in your region.

Previously Imagine used to ship single bought issues to me in bubble type bags, it cost 5 pounds for each issue to be shipped (on top of the mag price), but it was really sturdy. The subscription shipped issues have always come in the thin plastic bags, but there haven't been any damaged issues.

SRRAE1

Post by SRRAE1 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:18 pm

Sill question,

where do I go to change my subscription?

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:32 pm

Ring the subscription line.

PS. That video link is still broken

SRRAE1

Post by SRRAE1 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:37 pm

The Laird wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:32 pm
Ring the subscription line.

PS. That video link is still broken
Argh, that's the link to my edit paged. This should work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-seeJ6U82I

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:28 am

That is ridiculous - it's almost in the same place every month, does look like someone ramming it in to a bag - idiot.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:02 pm

Latest issue here in the US. The spine is normally creased a little, but this is ridiculous. This is on top of the abysmally slow overseas shipping since Future took over the magazine which has already filled a multi-page thread.
Attachments
IMG_3722.JPG
IMG_3722.JPG (1.75 MiB) Viewed 513 times
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:44 am

Thank god I live in Australia, never had an issue with postage damage with Retro Gamer and hopefully never will. I need my magazines to be mint, I collect them!