Retro Gamer 168

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Ryan GH

Re: Retro Gamer 168

Post by Ryan GH » Thu May 25, 2017 7:06 am

I purposely play it so if I lose a party member, I don't revert back to a previous save. It can be gut wrenching sometimes when you lose a favourite due to sloppy tactics! :(

RichL

Post by RichL » Fri May 26, 2017 5:10 am

Really enjoyed this months issue.

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Mon May 29, 2017 4:42 am

mlucifersam wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 2:22 pm
I can't read half the Imagine article in my copy of the mag. Some pages ok but others have a darker blue background and all the white text is blurred. Like looking at it without glasses on :(
I had the same problem with a couple of the articles, and my brother's copy was the same too! So yeah, definitely an issue with the printing there I think, although it might also be a case of a colour-design choice looking great on a computer screen but not translating well to paper! :)
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed May 31, 2017 6:14 pm

deadpan666 wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 4:42 am
mlucifersam wrote:
I can't read half the Imagine article in my copy of the mag. Some pages ok but others have a darker blue background and all the white text is blurred. Like looking at it without glasses on :(
I had the same problem with a couple of the articles, and my brother's copy was the same too! So yeah, definitely an issue with the printing there I think, although it might also be a case of a colour-design choice looking great on a computer screen but not translating well to paper! :)

Yeah the Imagine article was really great, I really had to persevere to get through it though; the Star Wars one I had to give up on.

I get that there are always going to be the odd hiccup when it comes to printing, but I think there needs to be a look at how readable some text is against some backgrounds. Id much rather have black print against a 'boring' clear white background that can be read.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:00 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 6:14 pm
deadpan666 wrote:
mlucifersam wrote:

Yeah the Imagine article was really great, I really had to persevere to get through it though; the Star Wars one I had to give up on.

I get that there are always going to be the odd hiccup when it comes to printing, but I think there needs to be a look at how readable some text is against some backgrounds. Id much rather have black print against a 'boring' clear white background that can be read.
Perservere is absolutely what I had to do to read the Star Wars article.
Was a great article, but borderline unreadable in parts.

Like you I'd rather just have black text on white - at least it wouldn't be a struggle to read.

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:08 am

Really enjoyed the Imagine article, well the bits I could read anyway!

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:45 am

Enjoyed this months mag guys!
You were right about the Speccy version of Sly Spy being the holy grail. I ordered the Speccy version with my hard earned pocket money from the back of those shop ads placed in Sinclair User (or was it Crash!) and surprise surprise it never arrived.
The shop never returned my money either - those were the days before paypal :roll:

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:23 am

Great issue! Nebulus, Imagine, Alien Breed, the PET (at last!), Half Life 2, and Mark Cerney were all highlights.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

lavalyte

Post by lavalyte » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:48 am

Ryan GH wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 9:32 am
I'm hoping the newsagent (Australia) will have it airfreighted by monday as I love Half Life 2 to death!! God Retro Gamer, you know exactly how to make us into retro addicts!! :P

PS - New article on the Raiden games please!!
You'd think Australian subscribers would see it soon, but I've only just received 167 this week.
'I have nothing but the greatest respect for other peoples' crackpot beliefs' - Sam The Eagle.

trunky

Post by trunky » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:53 am

An excellent issue. Loved the Mark Cerny interview and the Alien Breed piece. Very well written and informative.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:53 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
deadpan666 wrote:
mlucifersam wrote:

same for me, really wanted to read the Imagine piece so popped a couple of headache tablets and powered through, no chance with Star Wars, it's a mess. Keep meaning to flip through another copy in a supermarket to see if they are all as bad.

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:12 pm

Strange, I had no issues reading the text at all. Maybe some people got a bad batch or something.

Great issue Darren. A friend of mine in the UK lent me the magazine after he finished with it, so I don't have to wait weeks for my copy to reach me to read. Absolutely loved the issue to death!!

merman

Post by merman » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:36 pm

Just a heads up for the DVD extras thread to the Commodore PET article:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54586
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:49 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:53 am
paranoid marvin wrote:
deadpan666 wrote:

same for me, really wanted to read the Imagine piece so popped a couple of headache tablets and powered through, no chance with Star Wars, it's a mess. Keep meaning to flip through another copy in a supermarket to see if they are all as bad.
Glad I'm not the only one! I've been a subscriber since before issue 1 of the 'new' RG , but if subscribers are going to have to take pot luck on whether they get readable features or not then for the first time in more than a decade I'm going to have to consider if it's worth keeping my subscription. I'm sure I won't be the only one, and its a damn shame that it's come to this.

Darran and the crew do a brilliant job , but they're being badly let down imho.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:00 pm

I think you will find its a one off. I didn't had problems at all reading it but can see why some will have suffered with bad eyesight or having to squint. For me, I could just make the words out.....

Bloody excellent issue though, one of the best yet if not the best!!

You know Darren has been editor since December 2005? I've been re-reading the old magazines and its amazing how much the magazine has evolved over those years and the many contributors who are no longer with us. Also the reviews section used to be bloody massive and the magazine was jam-packed with lots of different things. Don't get me wrong, I still love the way the magazine is now and in fact I think it is better than ever, I just really enjoyed re-reading them again.....