Are US subscriptions now being shipped from within the US? Shipping speed VERY slow. Packaging flimsy.

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

thegamesnotoveryet

Re: Are US subscriptions now being shipped from within the US? Shipping speed VERY slow. Packaging flimsy.

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:35 pm

Jet Pilot wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:39 am
Another issue showed up damaged today...170. Not liking how Future is handling quality-control of the magazine. Subscribed to the magazine for 5 years under Imagine and never more than just a minor scuff here or there. Of the last 3 issues I've received since the switchover to Future, 2 have had significant damage.
Damn, that sucks.

My #168 actually never arrived, so that is technically the only issue I have ever had go missing. I had a few I thought where lost once Future took over, but they eventually arrived. My #169 arrived just shy of a month after release, so that was a "plus", but sadly, mine arrived damaged as well. My issue #170 should be here any day now, so I'll report back on the good, bad, or the ugly of it once it does. LOL

Helen is always rather quick in sending out replacements when need be, but I would prefer to get them in a better state from the start. Also, while the replacements aren't nearly as bad as the issues I get the replacement for, they are often far from perfect. But as I have stated in the past, I'm OK with some imperfections, as that is the trade off for me in regards to having a cheaper subscription, than buying at retail.

So while buying them in person always assured me a proper issue(good quality), it also was getting rather expensive each and every month, so that's why I started the subscription in the first place.

thegamesnotoveryet

Re: Are US subscriptions now being shipped from within the US? Shipping speed VERY slow. Packaging flimsy.

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:55 pm

Well, my #170 arrived today after all, and while not in perfect condition, it's in much better shape than my most recent damages have been, and there replacements as well. So it took about a month(give or take a day), for it to arrive this month.

It's actually raining today here in Vegas, in the middle of the summer to boot, so my issue got slightly damp at the corners, but that should dry and show no signs of having been wet. So overall, a decent new issue as far as shipping and quality goes.

I still haven't gotten back to my Imagine level of delivery speeds, but I'll gladly trade a week or two, for issues to arrive in better condition. Which seems to have happened this month, so I'll take it. Hopefully in the future(no pun intended), this can become the new norm, and not an isolated situation. But I guess time will tell.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:30 am

I was surprised to find one of the bookazines arrived today. Not too bad in all respects.

However, I was also surprised that this was an art bookazine I ordered a few days after a Retrogame one which still has yet to arrive :lol: You can't have everything Ha ha.

In all fairness though, this one arrived in reasonable time, and also to be fair to Future, our NZ post and courier system in recent times has become really appalling, especially in the South, and especially in Christchurch which seven years on is still fixing quake damaged eastern areas. I have had local courier orders from around NZ get to our town then take almost a week to be sent from the dispatchers, really terrible.

Living in NZ you pretty much have no choice but to do a lot of mail/online ordering, as the choice locally simply isn't there (and markup is greedy). So you get to know what things should take in terms of time, from where, and which type of service takes certain amounts of time.
Imagine was superb. Future isn't quite as good, but it is actually cheaper for me now to get a one off magazine or bookazine. And I have noticed in the last couple of months post and courier have got absolutely atrocious. Not just for Future, but basically for everything ordered offshore (and even within the Country). I've now had art DVDs from Australia to NZ take as long as Future magazines, which I've passed onto the suppliers so they can opt to give them a serving or change delivery service.

romeoteknik

Post by romeoteknik » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:38 am

Well, here I thought that having a distribution center in Pennsylvania would mean a big change for US subs......nope. I have yet to receive September's issue# 172 with the Super Play extra magazine. The last issue, 171, was the quickest issue I have ever received, so I thought that maybe the schedule changed for receiving RetroGamer. Well, that optimism was certainly short lived.

The forum thread for the issue was created on Sept 8th, viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54784, so does that mean new issues for the US are going to come near the end of the month? Or should US subs be receiving the magazine when its released in the UK? How about someone officially make it clear once and for all? Some consistency maybe?

Afterall, what was the point of investing money into a US distribution center, when they aren't "distributing"? I figured, by now, the new company, Future, would have all its kinks worked out. (not that this is my problem to figure out)

What I do know, is that I paid for a sub, meaning my issue each month is paid for. This year, so far, has been the worst in terms of missing issues. Thankfully, I was able to eventually get that sorted, so only #172 is the "issue" for me currently and I hope this is sorted as well.

It is quite annoying that I have to wonder each month where my issue is. It is also frustrating to have to contact the support team via email, only to have some staff copy/paste "can't source a copy" from emails earlier in the year. I've sent about 3-4 emails on this so far throughout this year. I can speak for myself, but I always have refused the "+1 issue to the sub" and always demanded a replacement copy. I refuse to have a gap in my issues, they can source copies just fine since they are afterall, the source.

My transaction with Retrogamer is paying for the annual sub, that's it. Lost issues, distribution centers, postal service, is all the responsibility for Future/Retrogamer. If they are not budgeting for missing issues, printing more for "just in case", or thinking of better ways to solve this, that's their problem to figure it, but I most certainly will never accept "can't source a copy" as a legitimate excuse ever.

If I receive #172, I'll update this post.

thegamesnotoveryet

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:20 am

Well, my #172 just arrived today and I'm located in Vegas. This is the second issue I've gotten that has arrived in a rather quick time frame, as Future seems to have gone back to shipping from overseas, and is using a faster shipping method as well. 171 & 172 arrive in about exactly 2 1/2 weeks from when those issues where supposed to be on sale in the UK.

When Imagine was in charge, my issues averaged about 3 weeks, so these last two seem equal to, if not slightly faster than before. Condition has been great as well for these issues. Since there not out and about for ages, less chance of getting damaged I suppose.

I actually checked Barnes & Noble earlier today, and they had one copy left of #171 on the shelves, so I'm expecting this issue to arrive there within the next week or so, If anyone is in the states, keep an eye out for it(if you need an extra). My son just saw my issue, and wants a copy, so I told him I'll try to get one locally for him, as it sold out rather quick online. Good luck to those waiting, but if your in the states, it should be arriving any day now, but our current weather issues may be delaying it for some.

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:43 am

Glad you got yours quickly! I'm still waiting for mine to arrive in the UK!! I notified Future of missing issue - they replied quickly saying sorry and another would be posted. No sign of that, so contacted again - so my case was shoved over to another part of Future that don't seem to give a toss. :evil:

Mauricio

Post by Mauricio » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:20 pm

Has anyone else in the US (besides thegamesnotoveryet) received #172? I am still waiting on mine in Atlanta GA, and am wondering if I should wait any longer or try to contact customer service. Thanks.

romeoteknik

Post by romeoteknik » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:31 pm

Mauricio wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:20 pm
Has anyone else in the US (besides thegamesnotoveryet) received #172? I am still waiting on mine in Atlanta GA, and am wondering if I should wait any longer or try to contact customer service. Thanks.
I received #173 today. I never received #172, so, to me, its quite clear, either the distribution center or the post office messed up. That's something Future/Retrogamer staff need to investigate. I don't think it's acceptable for anyone who subscribes to have a "hole" in their sub.

You can contact them, but they are going to give you the "can't source a copy" line. You would think, being a special edition issue, they would print more or use some funds in their budget and do a second print for those folks who never got it, this time mailing it in a padded envelope with a tracking number.

peekb

Post by peekb » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:46 pm

I'm in upstate NY and neither myself nor my friend about 10 miles away have received issue 172. I emailed and was told they would ship another copy.

thegamesnotoveryet

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:05 am

Well, color me shocked, as my #173 just showed up yesterday. Which was only about 2 1/2 weeks since #172 arrived. What ever Future is doing on my account, please keep it up. LOL And this issue doesn't seem to have the crease problem either, that my last 2 issues had.

EDIT: BTW, I'm in Vegas, if that helps anyone. So if all issues are coming through the east coast, which I would imagine, I'm normally in the last group of those who receive their issues. Since getting email notifications that my new issue is on the way, this copy was the fastest to arrive yet.
Last edited by thegamesnotoveryet on Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mauricio

Post by Mauricio » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:25 am

romeoteknik wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:31 pm
I received #173 today. I never received #172, so, to me, its quite clear, either the distribution center or the post office messed up. That's something Future/Retrogamer staff need to investigate. I don't think it's acceptable for anyone who subscribes to have a "hole" in their sub.

You can contact them, but they are going to give you the "can't source a copy" line. You would think, being a special edition issue, they would print more or use some funds in their budget and do a second print for those folks who never got it, this time mailing it in a padded envelope with a tracking number.
Thanks for the reply. I have emailed them at retrogamer@servicehelpline.co.uk... is that still the right address?

Mauricio

Post by Mauricio » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:42 pm

A quick update... I have been told a replacement copy is on the way, and I will let you know how that goes. Also, I received #173 yesterday, so that means #172 is almost certainly missing. On the plus side, #173 arrived less than two weeks after the UK street date, which is pretty good.

thegamesnotoveryet

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:20 am

For anyone in the US who is missing #172, I was just at Barnes & Noble(west coast), and they finally had stock. My local store is also very slow putting out shipments, so other locations may have had them sooner. The retail price is $15 for this issue, but if anyone has their subscription missing, or got a damaged that can't be replaced, this is a good option.