Are US subscriptions now being shipped from within the US? Shipping speed VERY slow. Packaging flimsy.

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

thegamesnotoveryet

Re: Are US subscriptions now being shipped from within the US? Shipping speed VERY slow. Packaging flimsy.

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Tue May 30, 2017 11:27 am

Well, I was asked to confirm my mailing address last week on the 24th, and this morning I finally got a reply, which once again answered ZERO of the questions I asked. So after waiting almost a full week to get a reply(48 hours my ass), CS regurgitated the address I gave them on that day, and then asked, "So is this correct"? Are you F*****g kidding me? It's the same address it's been since I started getting a subscription 3-4 years ago. It's also the one I just gave you when asked what it was, and now you want me to reply again, and confirm it is indeed correct? Do you also want to know "who's on first?".

I've seen bad customer service in my time, from all different possible areas, but the CS here I think may get the award for the worst ever. Well, actually, Gamestop here in the states may be worst, they have the same level of quality, in answering ZERO questions, but I've waited almost 3 months to get this treatment from them during the holidays, but now I just don't deal with them online anymore. I have until the beginning of August to open a claim with Paypal to get a refund on my subscription(if I can't get one through the proper channels), so I will for sure use the next few months to evaluate this situation more closely.

I love Retro Gamer, as it's a great mag, and I don't mind the wait each month. As most of the information is covering past games, so getting the issue fast, really doesn't change much, so that's not a big deal. At the current cost of the US mag if I'm buying at retail($16), I'm pretty much at what 13 subscription issues cost after getting 4 locally(subscription is about $5 per issue). So there is for sure a HUGE reason to hang with the subscription over retail. Also, within the last year, I've gotten more damaged issues than I ever have in the past, so if my issues are now shipping from the US, that may help as well. As the overseas mailing was geting pretty beat up to say the least.

So for now, I'll take a wait and see attitude, but now I know CS is all but useless in this equation, as their only fix is to add another issue or two to my subscription total, which means ****, if issues aren't arriving, or showing up damaged.

flugle

Re: Are US subscriptions now being shipped from within the US? Shipping speed VERY slow. Packaging flimsy.

Post by flugle » Tue May 30, 2017 11:57 pm

Well my issue 167 just arrived, nearly 6 weeks after release.

I'm glad to see it's finally arrived.

I'm not glad if this is how long I have to wait for every issue now given I'm still paying the same subscription price under Imagine when it arrived within a week of UK release.

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Wed May 31, 2017 8:58 am

flugle, which country are you from?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:58 am

flugle wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 12:44 am
I can buy months old editions at my local Australian newsagent
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Wed May 31, 2017 12:13 pm

Sorry flugle, I forgot you are an aussie like me. I'm terrible remembering names.....

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed May 31, 2017 4:36 pm

And people were feeling cynical or fearing the worst when the Future takeover was announced...hmm, I wonder why?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Mauricio

Post by Mauricio » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:05 pm

An improvement: my copy of #167 (Super Famicom version) arrived on Thursday last week (June 2), to Atlanta.

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:00 pm

My issue 167 showed up last week as well, still about 4 weeks later than it showed up when Imagaine was running the plane.
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

thegamesnotoveryet

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:54 pm

Well, I guess miracles do happen, as my 167 arrived today(I'm in Vegas), and it was the Super Famicom version that I wanted. I bought the SNES cover at retail last week, as that was all they had left, and I hoped if and when my subscription copy arrived, it would be the other cover. It has a few small spine dings, but otherwise it is in great condition, as my last few issues delivered from overseas where coming in all kinds of bad shape. So the one plus so far in the US shipping, is that issues are arriving in better condition at least.

So my 166 arrived about 2 months after it was released, and now my 167 arrived about 6 weeks after the fact, so if they can get down to a single month, that would be great. So then if and when books arrive damaged, I should still have time to get a copy locally. As the 2 months delivery didn't allow for that, as the copy I would need would be gone by then.

Oh, and I got a reply yesterday, to my "address" request from the week before, and once again no questions I asked where answered, so no improvement on the CS side what so ever. So I'll count my blessings at this point, and hope 168 gets back on track and arrives even faster. As there is still room for improvement, but at least issues are arriving.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:00 pm

No response in this thread from anyone to do with FUTURE publishing. Surely the export market is a HUGE part of the mags growth - hence the fact you guys n gals stop us getting a Christmas cover!

There should be some form of comfort from a Future employee to publicly state something is being done about the shocking treatment of our friends overseas....
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

thegamesnotoveryet

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:28 am

markopoloman wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:00 pm
No response in this thread from anyone to do with FUTURE publishing. Surely the export market is a HUGE part of the mags growth - hence the fact you guys n gals stop us getting a Christmas cover!

There should be some form of comfort from a Future employee to publicly state something is being done about the shocking treatment of our friends overseas....
Sadly, contacting them directly can take 2-6 days to get a reply, and then when they do, it's pretty much a useless gesture. Based on that alone, I would expect zero involvement here, as that would require even more work on their part, and that doesn't seem to be much of a concern.

I've dealt with many forms of customer service over the years from many different companies, offering many different products and services. And the CS here is just about the worst I've come across, with GameStop here in the states maybe being the only one that is worse. When companies merge, or one is bought out over another, there are often "growing pains", and that is to be expected. But when you can't give a simple comment that things are being worked on, or that delays may happen due to the recent changes, it speaks volumes of the type of business your dealing with.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:17 pm

thegamesnotoveryet wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:28 am
markopoloman wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:00 pm

Sadly, contacting them directly can take 2-6 days to get a reply, and then when they do, it's pretty much a useless gesture. Based on that alone, I would expect zero involvement here, as that would require even more work on their part, and that doesn't seem to be much of a concern.

I've dealt with many forms of customer service over the years from many different companies, offering many different products and services. And the CS here is just about the worst I've come across, with GameStop here in the states maybe being the only one that is worse. When companies merge, or one is bought out over another, there are often "growing pains", and that is to be expected. But when you can't give a simple comment that things are being worked on, or that delays may happen due to the recent changes, it speaks volumes of the type of business your dealing with.
Who are you contacting? Any complaints we receive are passed on to customer service. If I see any issues here I let the relevant department know. I was under the impression Helen on subs had been dealing with your requests.

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:36 pm

Hi Darran...any idea what has been going on with overseas deliveries since the transition? This thread is now four pages deep with no resolution (yes, I have been in direct contact with Helen and the subs department and there has been no resolution communicated as of yet). Thanks
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

Mauricio

Post by Mauricio » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:33 pm

The plot thickens... I just received #168 here in Atlanta, which puts it 20 days after the UK release. If that will be the delivery delay going forward, I am OK with that.

romeoteknik

Post by romeoteknik » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:13 pm

It seems that this month, for me anyway, they got it right. I received issue #168 (Star Wars Rogue Squadron cover) today. Normally the issues would come between the first and 2nd week of the month.
A definite improvement and hope it stays this way. (maybe now the US distributor in PA has worked out any delays for US subscribers)