Are US subscriptions now being shipped from within the US? Shipping speed VERY slow. Packaging flimsy.

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Ryan GH

Re: Are US subscriptions now being shipped from within the US? Shipping speed VERY slow. Packaging flimsy.

Post by Ryan GH » Sun May 21, 2017 8:41 am

I also subscribe to EDGE which is a future publication and I used to give up on that ever arriving. Waste of money as once again, I would have to buy it from the newsagent. Just took too censored long...

lavalyte

Re: Are US subscriptions now being shipped from within the US? Shipping speed VERY slow. Packaging flimsy.

Post by lavalyte » Sun May 21, 2017 11:56 am

Ryan GH wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 1:06 pm
Mate, I still haven't received the second last issue. This Future take-over is totally bonkers. I would be going crazy if it wasn't for the newsagency that has it air delivered....
I'd love to know why my issues arrive 3 to 4 weeks after they appear in the Australian newsagents. What am I subscribing for?
'I have nothing but the greatest respect for other peoples' crackpot beliefs' - Sam The Eagle.

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Sun May 21, 2017 1:26 pm

I won't be in the future. I don't mind paying more to get it far sooner, you're in the same ball-park?

To be fair, subscriptions are a decent price but you have to be very patient and I don't have any of that ;-)

Mauricio

Post by Mauricio » Mon May 22, 2017 8:12 pm

I don't mind waiting if I was a) certain it would eventually arrive and b) if it didn't arrive, that replacement copies would still be available after such a delay.

It's funny that I just experienced the same issue with my White Dwarf (Games Workshop) subscription. However, they were very quick to acknowledge the problem, get a new US distributor, and even extend the subscription.

thegamesnotoveryet

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Wed May 24, 2017 3:32 pm

Well, after waiting several days to get a reply in regards to my missing issues, and what is going on with my US subscription, my mailing address was requested, with no other information provided. What a joke this is.

I asked where my books are being sent from, what the delivery time is supposed to be, what is my account information now for Future, as my Imagine info won't allow me access to Future's information regarding my account? Every reply I get seems more "robot" than human, and it takes a week or more of back and forth to get basic questions answered.

This is really not acceptable, and if this is how the "Future" is going to be, I don't see being a part of it. Which is rather sad, as I've been a fan and subscriber for many, many years with no problems. I honestly understand things can happen, especially when merging businesses and such, but when it takes days to get a reply and none of the questions asked or responded to, that does very little to show my funds spent are in good hands.

flugle

Post by flugle » Thu May 25, 2017 12:44 am

New login since I cant seem to recover my years old one.

I can't even get the subs "helpline" to respond.I got an auto response and ticket number last week and haven't seen a thing since, which is well beyond the promised 48hr turnaround. Still no idea where my issue 167 is.

Silly me renewed not knowing the issues people are having. I've been a subscriber since issue 4, was burned by Live Publishing but have never been so annoyed with them as I am now.

There is zero point subscribing if I'm going to wait months for an issue to turn up (if at all) when I can buy months old editions at my local Australian newsagent for less. I didn't even get a discount on my subscription over Imagine pricing for getting such rubbish service.

I paid my last renewal via PayPal - has anyone had any success in using them to force a refund?

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu May 25, 2017 1:01 am

It's a bit strange that no one has replied from the Mag to this thread yet.

Can I assume that you have all contacted Darran? and it maybe worth contacting 'subscriptions' via PM on this forum (yes, that's the user name).

Does seem pretty pish poor service.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Thu May 25, 2017 1:04 am

Darren said there is nothing he can do as this isn't his department.

Subscriptions said in a PM yesterday "Unfortunately we have no updates yet..." which doesn't give me a high-degree of confidence.
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu May 25, 2017 1:09 am

Jet Pilot wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 1:04 am
Darren said there is nothing he can do as this isn't his department.

Subscriptions said in a PM yesterday "Unfortunately we have no updates yet..." which doesn't give me a high-degree of confidence.
It needs to be pushed by the likes of Darran - it is his mag, he has made it what it is today and to lose the momentum that had been gaining in the USA/Aus etc would be very bad for the mag.

Personally... I'd hassle Darran! (sorry Darran!)
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Thu May 25, 2017 1:11 am

I certainly have. He told me that he can't do anything with this problem and it has to be resolved by the subscriptions department. I'm not thrilled with the responses I've been receiving either.
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

thegamesnotoveryet

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Thu May 25, 2017 10:46 am

flugle wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 12:44 am
Silly me renewed not knowing the issues people are having. I've been a subscriber since issue 4, was burned by Live Publishing but have never been so annoyed with them as I am now.

There is zero point subscribing if I'm going to wait months for an issue to turn up (if at all) when I can buy months old editions at my local Australian newsagent for less. I didn't even get a discount on my subscription over Imagine pricing for getting such rubbish service.

I paid my last renewal via PayPal - has anyone had any success in using them to force a refund?
Sadly, I renewed right before all hell broke loose, so I'm in a similar situation. I did have my replacement issue for #166 arrive, although it was very water damaged, but at least that shows that an item can be shipped from the UK, and arrive to me here in the states and in a timely manner. So I would guess not all parts of this business are totally broken.

Any disputes with Paypal will normally be fine so long as they are opened before the window to do so is closed. I can't remember how I paid, but I will look in to it this morning for sure. It used to be 60-90 days if I remember correctly, but they changed it to 180 days not to long ago, so I'm sure I'm within that time frame(fingers crossed), I'm just not sure if I paid through that method or not. If I used a credit card, I guess I could go through them as well if need be.

For Future to have a leg to stand on, they would have to prove you received any issues that where part of the original Paypal transaction. And since they can't even explain when and where issues are, their chances of blocking a refund are pretty slim, as there is no tracking or way to prove anyone has received the issues in question. I'm still hopeful they will get their **** together, but if I don't get any proper replies before weeks end, I'll just see about opening a claim to get my funds back, as it is very apparent no one involved in this situation seems willing to fix or address these issues, which speaks to the integrity of all involved. The blame game is not a valid excuse, so saying it is a subscription dept problem is not OK!

EDIT: I just found my info, and I for sure used Paypal almost 3 months to the day to renew, so if the 180 days for a dispute claim are correct, I've got plenty of time. So like I said, if no one seems interested in addressing or fixing these problems, I'll just open a claim, get my funds back, and buy my magazine's from B&N in the future. It's rather sad that I've been a happy subscriber for so long, and now this.

I understand that when business merge, or one is bought out, there can be issues. So I don't want anyone to think I'm not open to delays, or other issues that can happen in these types of situations, but when the blame game is played, or when you can't get straight answers from anyone, there is a problem bigger than me not getting a issue or two in the mail. For those on the publishing side who think it is not their problem, well guess what? When there are problems like this, and they aren't fixed, that will roll in to other issues, and at a certain point, no one is buying your publication, and you no longer have a job. Yeah, that may be the extreme case, but when any customers are having issues, that are well known, someone should be talking to someone and making sure voices are heard.

Not, oh well, not my problem, please talk to subscriptions. Guess what, make it your problem.

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Thu May 25, 2017 11:09 am

Another australian user yet to receive 167. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

EDIT - I went to buy the latest issue from the newsagent and they told me it was due on the 22nd May and that its much slower than normal coming in and that he doesn't know when its coming in now as its late. Makes me wonder if even the newsagents will be struggling to get the magazine in quickly. Won't be worth the air-freight tax if this is the case.....

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Fri May 26, 2017 9:41 am

lavalyte wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 11:56 am
Ryan GH wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 1:06 pm
Mate, I still haven't received the second last issue. This Future take-over is totally bonkers. I would be going crazy if it wasn't for the newsagency that has it air delivered....
I'd love to know why my issues arrive 3 to 4 weeks after they appear in the Australian newsagents. What am I subscribing for?
Are you sure about that? Australian Newsagents are still on 165, the Zelda issue until mid June - they are running 3 months behind unless you find one who will airfreight it in (at extra cost). I actually went into a magazine shop in Melbourne last week and he showed me the due dates for the Road Rash issue, which is around June 14th.

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Fri May 26, 2017 11:17 am

Yes, I buy the air-freight version.
I'm going to stop doing that though and just subscribe as its getting to be too bloody expensive. Work for me has suddenly stopped and I don't have anything big until the end of the year. I'm just going to have to be patient with the waiting, LOL! :wink:

thegamesnotoveryet

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Fri May 26, 2017 12:07 pm

Well, here is my latest update:

As of yesterday, my subscription issue #166 finally arrived 2 months exactly after receiving my notice that it was on the way. It came in the same manner as it always has, in a plastic bag, with and Imagine advertising sleeve in the bag with my delivery information printed on it. The only difference seems to be that it does in fact have a US postage paid sticker from Philadelphia, PA 19176 on it, so it was shipped from the US.

So the best I can guess, is that Future is now shipping all US subscriptions to someplace in the states, and then that facility pays the postage, and off it goes. So that would explain the what appears to be a "2 month" delay currently. Maybe 4-6 weeks on a boat across the Atlantic, and then processed here, and then shipped out. So now I have a timetable in regards to when #167 should be arriving, and so long as all the books stick to that time frame and actually show up, I'll just have to deal.

It sucks, as I just saw #167 yesterday at Barnes & Noble, and it was almost gone already, and it wasn't there a week ago when I last checked, so I grabbed a copy as I didn't know what was going on in regards to my subscription issues. So in the future, if any books are indeed damaged, or lost, I will be SOL in replacing it locally, as I've done in the past due to this new longer delay in mailing. Hopefully now that it isn't making the whole international trip(should be shipped here in nice boxes before US distro), damage may be less likely, but that will remain to be seen. As USPS can be rather hard on items all on their own.

So for those of you still writing on #166, I just received mine exactly 2 months after getting the message it was on the way, so many of you still waiting may be seeing it soon. I'm also located in Vegas, so closer to the west coast if that helps anyone in regards to when they may get their copies.