Are US subscriptions now being shipped from within the US? Shipping speed VERY slow. Packaging flimsy.

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Jet Pilot

Are US subscriptions now being shipped from within the US? Shipping speed VERY slow. Packaging flimsy.

Post by Jet Pilot » Tue May 09, 2017 7:17 pm

I just received issue 166 today and noticed that it has US postage and a US return address. Are US subscriptions being shipped from within the US now, and if so can we expect to see any reduction in shipping costs for renewals (currently US subscribers pay a 55% premium for a 1-year subscription to cover the cost of international shipping).

Secondly, if they are being shipped from with in US now, why did issue 166 take 7 weeks to arrive when they normally take 2-3? The return address on the mailing label is 8 hours from my house by car, so 7 weeks seems like an awfully long transit time.

Lastly, I also would like to raise concern about the shipping bag. It is no longer the thicker blue protective bag, but just a very thin clear bag that had several holes in it by the time it was delivered. Since we do pay so much for shipping, I am disappointed that Future has taken to cutting back on the quality of the shipping materials.

If Future wants to keep charging the same 55% premium, then I would prefer if they would keep using the same packaging to protect the magazine in shipping and continue using the same shipping speed as Imagine used. I have no problem paying a premium as long as the quality is high. Based on 166, it is lacking. I hope they never get to the point where they just glue the mailing label to the cover of the magazine.
Attachments
IMG_1889.JPG
IMG_1889.JPG (3.19 MiB) Viewed 565 times
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

thegamesnotoveryet

Re: Are US subscriptions now being shipped from within the US? Shipping speed VERY slow. Packaging flimsy.

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Wed May 10, 2017 2:01 pm

Last month, I placed an order from "myfavouritemagazine", which was their Ultimate Zelda Companion, and the Nintendo Switch magazine. Well, I got my shipping notice for the Zelda books, but not the Nintendo ones, so I contacted support. They said the Nintendo ones shipped a day before the Zelda, but I wondered why they weren't shipped together, and why I didn't get the notice, but oh well.

So after about 2 weeks, the Zelda books arrived to me in the states, and still nothing on the Nintendo books. So I was getting ready after several days to contact them again, and they arrived. They where shipped from the US, and where just sent about a week before I received them, so when they told me they shipped before the other books, that was a "lie". They came in a crap manila envelope that was completely torn, and both magazines where falling out of it and where damaged.

So it would appear that they are moving some, if not all shipping to the US, and that would explain the delay in receiving Retro Gamer 166(and probably most future issues). I had them send me a replacement for 166, but I also bought it local at B&N. So I may end up with 3 copies when it's all done. I understand it may be cheaper to send bulk to the US, and then distro from here, but B&N will probably have the latest issue 167 before I get my 166 issue, and while I don't mind the delay, B&N is my back up for getting issues if they arrive damaged, or go missing.

If the shipping is this slow now, the issues I may need to replace will be long gone from B&N before I can tell if I need to get a replacement locally. The benefit of my subscription was to get the books before them, and save some funds. Now if they are going to be getting all issues before hand, I might need to make other arrangements. It would also be nice, if CS said that books are shipping from the US, instead of stating they are shipping from overseas. Also, if I check my account information at IP, it still shows the Zelda cover as my last sent issue, which was two issues ago, so will that sight no longer update? And if so, is there a way to get subscription information from myfavouritemagazine now?

Please address these issues, and make some solid updates in regards to what is happening, as I've been subscribing for years, with the only problems being a damaged issue here and there. Now I have books gone missing, or very delayed in being shipped with little to no proper information from customer service.

Mauricio

Re: Are US subscriptions now being shipped from within the US? Shipping speed VERY slow. Packaging flimsy.

Post by Mauricio » Thu May 11, 2017 9:11 pm

I have still not received my #166, so it is good to know that I am not alone and that I may actually be getting it soon! And I was also disappointed to see #166 at B&N before I received my copy.

I sent an email to retrogamer@servicehelpline.co.uk a few days ago, but have not received a reply.

romeoteknik

Post by romeoteknik » Fri May 12, 2017 1:20 am

I noticed this too. I have yet to receive issue #167, which according to them, shipped on April 20th. I received a replacement for #166 (since it didn't arrive by the 10-15th of the month), but then #166 arrived on Monday, so it was a month+ late. I also noticed the Pennsylvania address and let them know in the email.

In any case, I am not going to chance waiting for 167, so if I don't receive it tomorrow, will be asking for a replacement......yet again.

subscriptions

Post by subscriptions » Fri May 12, 2017 9:31 am

Thank you all for your comments :D Your input is extremely important to us.
We regularly review delivery and packaging to all our subscriptions and appreciate all your feedback.

Thanks,
Helen

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Fri May 12, 2017 9:56 am

Thanks for replying. What exactly has been going on with US subscription deliveries over the last couple of months?

subscriptions

Post by subscriptions » Fri May 12, 2017 10:21 am

We have had reports of delivery delays, these seem to be isolated incidents. This is currently being investigated by our production team and mailing house.

We appreciate all our lovely Retro Gamer subscribers and once I have an answer I will post in the forum :)
Last edited by subscriptions on Fri May 12, 2017 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Fri May 12, 2017 10:56 am

Thank you!

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Fri May 12, 2017 2:02 pm

In future I will be buying Retro Gamer and Games tm from my local newsagency as the magazines they receive are air-freighted and sometimes they get the magazines 4 weeks before I do which is just ridiculous. I have yet to receive the current issues of games tm and RG.

Will it be possible to get a refund on the magazines I have left on my subscription because from now on I'm getting them from the newsagency.
I live in Australia.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri May 12, 2017 9:28 pm

Well not a subscriber but I do know the future vs imagine orders I've done in the past have been dramatically different in terms of especially speed. Future has always been way slower delivery, with a cardboard surround rather than weatherproof bag with bubblewrap insert.

Mauricio

Post by Mauricio » Sat May 13, 2017 5:02 am

Good news... I finally received my #166 today (May 13) in Atlanta, GA. It was slightly damaged, with a half-inch tear on the back cover and a few pages, but not enough to really complain about. Hopefully #167 isn't too far behind, and that future (Future... heh) issues aren't so late.

lavalyte

Post by lavalyte » Fri May 19, 2017 1:04 pm

Ryan GH wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 2:02 pm
In future I will be buying Retro Gamer and Games tm from my local newsagency as the magazines they receive are air-freighted and sometimes they get the magazines 4 weeks before I do which is just ridiculous. I have yet to receive the current issues of games tm and RG.

Will it be possible to get a refund on the magazines I have left on my subscription because from now on I'm getting them from the newsagency.
I live in Australia.
I'm in Australia too. It's rediculous.
'I have nothing but the greatest respect for other peoples' crackpot beliefs' - Sam The Eagle.

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Fri May 19, 2017 1:06 pm

Mate, I still haven't received the second last issue. This Future take-over is totally bonkers. I would be going crazy if it wasn't for the newsagency that has it air delivered....

thegamesnotoveryet

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Sat May 20, 2017 12:03 pm

Yeah, I still haven't gotten any issues since 165, the Zelda magazine. I'm writing CS again right now, as this is just silly at this point. I've never had any problems getting issues, and now, it's like they aren't even being sent. My subscriptions is rather new, so if a proper fix to this issue can't be found, I may just ask for a refund, and buy the books locally, which deafeats the purpose of why I subscribed in the first place.

If finding a proper resolution to these issues aren't a priority, which they appear not to be, Future shouldn't be in the business of selling publications, if they can't deliver what is being paid for.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun May 21, 2017 6:02 am

thegamesnotoveryet wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 12:03 pm
Yeah, I still haven't gotten any issues since 165, the Zelda magazine. I'm writing CS again right now, as this is just silly at this point. I've never had any problems getting issues, and now, it's like they aren't even being sent. My subscriptions is rather new, so if a proper fix to this issue can't be found, I may just ask for a refund, and buy the books locally, which deafeats the purpose of why I subscribed in the first place.

If finding a proper resolution to these issues aren't a priority, which they appear not to be, Future shouldn't be in the business of selling publications, if they can't deliver what is being paid for.
I think that's a pretty fair statement. As said in previous posts, I have found Future delivery times and standards to be way lower than Imagines, which in comparison were absolutely superb. And I'm only ordering the odd issue and bookazine. This has to be incredibly frustrating for subscribers- the bread and butter client base.