Forum software upgrade

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

NickThorpe

Forum software upgrade

Post by NickThorpe » Thu May 04, 2017 4:47 am

Hi everyone,

This post is here to give you advance warning that we’ll be upgrading the forum software today (May 4th). This is being done to ensure that we have the most up to date security and feature set possible.

We recognise that you might have some questions, so we’ve pre-emptively answered a few of them.

You tried this a few years ago and it didn’t go well. What’s different this time?
When we tried to change the forum in 2014, we went for a complete change of platform from phpBB to Wordpress. This time we’re sticking with phpBB and just using a newer version.

Will I lose my posts/private messages/avatar/signature/etc.?
You shouldn't. We've set things up so that all of your existing content will migrate over intact - but if something's missing, let us know below.

What will change?
There will be a very slight change to the look of the forum, but it has been kept very similar to the existing appearance. Some existing options have moved around – for example, the popular “View New Posts” link will now appear in the Quick Links section on every page, rather than just on the front page above the forum list.

If so little is changing, why are you telling us this?
We’d rather keep users in the know regarding changes to the forum, as we appreciate that it’s something you’re passionate about. Additionally, this gives you all a central place to post feedback on the new design.

If there’s anything you’d like to know that we haven’t covered above, please feel free to ask about it in a reply below. We'll let you know when it has been done.

Analog

Re: Forum software upgrade

Post by Analog » Thu May 04, 2017 12:52 pm

8)
noticed there is a notifications system in place, this is great! thanks for adding it, very handy for tracking conversations.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu May 04, 2017 1:04 pm

Looks slightly odd in portrait mode on my iPad.

E.G. In "it's all about the games", Screenshot Challenge has the 1-771 page buttons in one line but What Are You Currently Playing has 1-1559 on one line but the button for 1560 is below 1559, if that makes sense!!

But will settle for that compared to the total mess last time!!

Do like the quick links thing.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu May 04, 2017 1:09 pm

Oh and it's encouraging that this has been done as it suggests there is a desire for the forum to continue for the foreseeable :) :)
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu May 04, 2017 1:09 pm

Used to much Daz on it

ITS TO WHITE!!
WHITE OPPRESSION!!

Actually its making me see how dirty my screen is

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu May 04, 2017 3:26 pm

Quite a lot of spam tonight, dunno if that's just coincidence/ back luck :x

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu May 04, 2017 3:42 pm

No coincidence. It hasn't been this bad in ages, we've had a flood of it in just the few hours the forum has been back up. I predict it will get MUCH worse overnight
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu May 04, 2017 3:50 pm

I have two problems with the new forum:

The biggest one is that the theme I have used since the beginning has gone. I've tried the one that looked like this one a few times, but I didn't like it, so I always went back to 'Bl@ck', even though someone broke it years ago and the logo vanished, the several months ago someone broke the edge formatting. I still preferred it to this look.

The other thing is that the 'View New Posts' link is hidden in a menu instead of just being there.

And I've just turned 'Stylish' off, and seen that for some unfathomable reason the avatars are still on the right. I'll just have to keep that enabled then...
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu May 04, 2017 3:58 pm

Looks good to me and the below also immediately sprang to my mind too:
Bub&Bob wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 1:09 pm
Oh and it's encouraging that this has been done as it suggests there is a desire for the forum to continue for the foreseeable :) :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu May 04, 2017 4:24 pm

They only let em in to see my report messages

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri May 05, 2017 6:02 am

I take it this is the only theme available?
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Fri May 05, 2017 6:21 am

Any way we can bring back the black theme? I find this one a bit tough to read.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri May 05, 2017 11:58 am

It's much better now, great improvement.

If only we could now reorganise the sections so they are actually useful and make sense!

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri May 05, 2017 12:03 pm

How new is this "new" version of phpBB?

The avatar size limits are still ridiculously small, there's still no video embedding available.

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri May 05, 2017 2:12 pm

If a thread has more than one page it shows up bigger than if it hasn't, and makes the whole thing look horribly inconsistent. It only does it when looking at new posts, not when looking at a separate forum. If you don't know what I mean, I can post a pic.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V