Retro Gamer 167

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
Nikolai
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:58 pm

Re: Retro Gamer 167

Post by Nikolai » Sun May 07, 2017 8:52 am

Loved the last mag, as always. One thing though, after I finished this load, I went back to one of the old back issues (I do this between issues, almost through them all now after a few years of doing this. Digital is superb way of doing this!). And I notice two things, related but one good one bad: Old issues had some really, really, really long indepth articles! And then I mean long as in not only many pages - as you do now too. But also a lot of text in them, and less and smaller images. I really like that. I would love to see that particular thing back. But you also divided up some of these long articles into more than one mag. That I hope we never see again. I don't have the count on how many times I've found an interesting article, only to discover it's a part two and I haven't bought the previous mag yet. Or I did aeons ago and feel lost until I redownload the old mag.

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6739
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer 167

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun May 07, 2017 10:09 am

I could be wrong but I don't think we've done a feature over two parts for more than 7 years. With regards to the size of features. We're aiming for 8-12 for most of the main features as that seems to get the best response from readers. We may go bigger every now and then, but smaller, tighter features allow for more variety in the magazine :)
Image

NorthWay
Posts: 1570
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:02 am
Location: Grimstad, Norway

Re: Retro Gamer 167

Post by NorthWay » Sun May 07, 2017 8:37 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 5:47 am
I do love the idea of highlighting poor games that haven't stood the test of time.
Now that is not a bad idea to spin on. Prediction: You might end up with much early 3D gaming in your list.

User avatar
silvergunner
Posts: 1918
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:09 pm
Location: Stockton

Re: Retro Gamer 167

Post by silvergunner » Sun May 07, 2017 11:15 pm

For anyone who is crazy about collecting all variants of magazine covers. When I was buying mine from WH Smiths I noticed one mag on the rack was not the usual glossy cover but a none shiny matt finish.

I'm guessing this is a printing error which will see scalpers throwing them on eBay for £500 :lol:

User avatar
Ryan GH
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:29 pm
Location: Perth Australia

Re: Retro Gamer 167

Post by Ryan GH » Mon May 08, 2017 8:18 am

Just finished reading the entire magazine. I thought that almost every article was worthy of being the front cover of the magazine!!
Oh and nice to see so many conversion capers, I love to compare the graphics and text descriptions for each system covered.
Best issue yet!!!!

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6739
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer 167

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon May 08, 2017 9:06 am

Ryan GH wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 8:18 am
Just finished reading the entire magazine. I thought that almost every article was worthy of being the front cover of the magazine!!
Oh and nice to see so many conversion capers, I love to compare the graphics and text descriptions for each system covered.
Best issue yet!!!!
Glad you enjoyed the issue. We too feel it's one of the strongest we've done for a while. Going forward we're looking at getting conversion capers in every section of the magazine when a game features multiple systems. You'll hopefully start seeing that implemented from issue 170 onwards.
Image

Bub&Bob
Posts: 6833
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:24 am

Re: Retro Gamer 167

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon May 08, 2017 9:18 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 9:06 am
Going forward we're looking at getting conversion capers in every section of the magazine when a game features multiple systems. You'll hopefully start seeing that implemented from issue 170 onwards.
Yes please
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

User avatar
Ryan GH
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:29 pm
Location: Perth Australia

Re: Retro Gamer 167

Post by Ryan GH » Mon May 08, 2017 9:25 am

I swear i will never get bored of conversion capers. :P

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6739
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer 167

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon May 08, 2017 9:59 am

Bub&Bob wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 9:18 am
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 9:06 am
Going forward we're looking at getting conversion capers in every section of the magazine when a game features multiple systems. You'll hopefully start seeing that implemented from issue 170 onwards.
Yes please
My only concern is that it might start to look a little samey as I'd imagine most game-based features will have them. Still, we'll see how it goes.
Image

User avatar
markopoloman
Posts: 11657
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:03 pm
Location: Poole, Dorset

Re: Retro Gamer 167

Post by markopoloman » Mon May 08, 2017 4:30 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 9:59 am
Bub&Bob wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 9:18 am
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 9:06 am
Going forward we're looking at getting conversion capers in every section of the magazine when a game features multiple systems. You'll hopefully start seeing that implemented from issue 170 onwards.
Yes please
My only concern is that it might start to look a little samey as I'd imagine most game-based features will have them. Still, we'll see how it goes.
Conversion capers is the first bit of an article I go to!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

psj3809
Posts: 18739
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: Retro Gamer 167

Post by psj3809 » Tue May 09, 2017 4:09 am

Any news on issue 168 ? According to RG 167 it said it was out a few days ago ?

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6739
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer 167

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue May 09, 2017 5:06 am

psj3809 wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 4:09 am
Any news on issue 168 ? According to RG 167 it said it was out a few days ago ?
It's 18th of May.
Image

psj3809
Posts: 18739
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: Retro Gamer 167

Post by psj3809 » Tue May 09, 2017 8:24 am

Ahem :oops:

Was just about to delete my post as I just realised it was the 18th not 8th. Oops !

kebabinho
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:41 pm

Re: Retro Gamer 167

Post by kebabinho » Tue May 16, 2017 10:02 am

Another good read and my question was put to Richard Costello :D

who then savaged the C16 :(

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests