Retro Gamer 167

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

ncf1

Re: Retro Gamer 167

Post by ncf1 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:42 am

Eric wrote:
Gibberish Driftwood wrote:In the letters section you ask if we want to see the return of Retroshamer? And the answer, from me atleast, is yes.
I enjoyed reading the retroshamer articles back in the day. Bring it back. :)
I wasn't a fan of Retroshamer, thought it came down too hard on the games (rightly or wrongly) rather than exam what or why game was bad.
That's how I felt too. I felt it went against the grain of the mag - i find with RG there is largely respect for the fact that a lot of the old games were done by kids, or just 1 or 2 people, but Retroshamer would really get stuck in a bit too hard sometimes and I just found it against the flow of things, it sometimes left a bad taste in the mouth.

But .. there are definitely games out there that deserve a good slam, games like Big Rigs, or games that are so incredibly buggy that taking people's money is by all accounts on par with stealing, so perhaps there's a place for it. I mean the Big Rigs programmer for instance was remorseless and so perhaps those like that deserve to be put in their place. :P

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:43 pm

markopoloman wrote:
Bub&Bob wrote:Strange ad on the back, looks like it was created by a 6 year old - can't be cheap having a full page advert on the back cover and it was there last month also (not quite so crappy last month though)
It's THAT bad, I honestly didn't even see it as an Ad for a game! But now you've mentioned it and I've actually read it... 3d Oids :D http://www.moonoids.com/
Then I watched the videos and it looks complete and utter crap! :lol:
"the long overdue" - that's not something to boast about!!
"with a good graphics card GTX970M or there about"

Seriously, I wonder how much a full page advert costs?

I know I am being mean but I assumed from the way the adverts and the content of the website have been written, that this is by a 16 year old who's first language isn't English - but having read the "about the author" section (which is also a bit strange) it turns out to be a Yorkshireman born in the 1960's ?!?! - it's not a dodgy site is it?
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

skinny

Post by skinny » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:17 pm

I forgot I had Screamer installed from ages ago until I read the article, nice little arcade racer that I've now been playing again.

Favourite thing in the mag was a mention for Grand Prix Legends in Desert Island Disks. If I remember correctly it came out in 1998, I bought my first PC specifically to play it. 350MHz PentiumII, 64Mb RAM, 6.4Gb HDD, 8Mb ATi card and a 12Mb Voodoo2 card!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:46 am

A friend of mine loaned me Grand Prix Legends. I couldn't play it because I had a CD-RW drive. The anti-piracy measures were so extreme just owning a CD writer was enough to stop the game working. So I downloaded a hooky copy and that was fine. Great anti-piracy thinking behind that one.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

dave3622

Post by dave3622 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:12 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:
markopoloman wrote:
Bub&Bob wrote:Strange ad on the back, looks like it was created by a 6 year old - can't be cheap having a full page advert on the back cover and it was there last month also (not quite so crappy last month though)
It's THAT bad, I honestly didn't even see it as an Ad for a game! But now you've mentioned it and I've actually read it... 3d Oids :D http://www.moonoids.com/
Then I watched the videos and it looks complete and utter crap! :lol:
"the long overdue" - that's not something to boast about!!
"with a good graphics card GTX970M or there about"

Seriously, I wonder how much a full page advert costs?

I know I am being mean but I assumed from the way the adverts and the content of the website have been written, that this is by a 16 year old who's first language isn't English - but having read the "about the author" section (which is also a bit strange) it turns out to be a Yorkshireman born in the 1960's ?!?! - it's not a dodgy site is it?
The author, Charles Swires bought some Oric games from me on eBay a few years ago and then left neg feedback for all 3 of them saying they don't work, despite me having tested them before I sold them (and thus destroying my 100% feedback score). The idiot didn't bother to contact me regarding the problem, if he had I would have refunded him. Hope his garbage game bombs!!

https://ibb.co/cb0AWQ
Last edited by dave3622 on Mon May 01, 2017 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:08 pm

Just wanna say thanks for having a back to the 2000s with the new issues of late.. Now, lets see more playstation 1 coverage in the magazine please!!!

Too soon for playstation 2? That was by far my favourite console.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Mon May 01, 2017 11:45 pm

My 2 cents on RetroShamer - I also thought it was a misstep for the Mag, and did not fit well with the mag at all. In particular, with a couple of said 'featured' games that I had played back in the day, it appeared that whoever wrote the article only had a passing knowledge of them and was also basing their critique on these 1980s era games on todays standards - which didn't sit well with the rest of the mag, or the retro-gaming community spirit which is always overwhelmingly positive on most things.

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Tue May 02, 2017 10:42 am

I don't miss retro Shamer either. What I do miss though are the exhaustive reviews that used to be a thing of the past & The Vault as it was years ago. Also the feedback section used to be 4 pages and had lots of forum feedback which was superfun to read through.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Wed May 03, 2017 11:19 pm

Got this in the post yesterday, and its a very good issue - the last three have been pretty good actually, a good mix of stuff.

Despite it being covered before in other previous articles, the Mario Kart article was really good - particularly with the insights about how it was originally F-Zero multi-player. I also really liked the Frogger article - compared to the similar one in the mag about 10 years ago, this was a really interesting look at it.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri May 05, 2017 9:47 am

antsbull wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 11:45 pm
My 2 cents on RetroShamer - I also thought it was a misstep for the Mag, and did not fit well with the mag at all. In particular, with a couple of said 'featured' games that I had played back in the day, it appeared that whoever wrote the article only had a passing knowledge of them and was also basing their critique on these 1980s era games on todays standards - which didn't sit well with the rest of the mag, or the retro-gaming community spirit which is always overwhelmingly positive on most things.
We're unlikely to bring Retro Shamer back, although I do love the idea of highlighting poor games that haven't stood the test of time.

Personally I don't believe games should get a free pass just because they're retro.
Some 8-bit home computer games hold up incredibly well, some are plain awful. For example in my opinion Chuckie Egg is as playable today as it was on release, while Chuckie Egg II is a horrible playing experience nowadays. You can read more about why I dislike it so much in the next issue :wink:

We love classic games at Retro Gamer, but that doesn't mean we won't point out the ones that haven't stood the test of time every now and then :)

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri May 05, 2017 10:09 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 9:47 am
antsbull wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 11:45 pm
We're unlikely to bring Retro Shamer back, although I do love the idea of highlighting poor games that haven't stood the test of time.

Personally I don't believe games should get a free pass just because they're retro.
Some 8-bit home computer games hold up incredibly well, some are plain awful. For example in my opinion Chuckie Egg is as playable today as it was on release, while Chuckie Egg II is a horrible playing experience nowadays. You can read more about why I dislike it so much in the next issue :wink:

We love classic games at Retro Gamer, but that doesn't mean we won't point out the ones that haven't stood the test of time every now and then :)
I really liked it TBH. although I seem to be in the minority.

I also really really liked conversion capers, which would be a good compromise as it highlights good and bad conversions.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri May 05, 2017 7:47 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 9:47 am

+1 on this. Poor game are poor games and shouldn't be made out to be decent or simply not talked about just so we can only dicuss positive things.

For me personally, I enjoy reading a witty write-up on a crap game - much more entertaining than reading a load of praise for something classic which - to be fair - will probably have been talked about at length countless times already. You can't beat an obscure, forgotten piece of trash being dragged up from the grave and exposed for what it is :)

Always used to love how Rev Stu slated rubbish installments within a series in the "definitive" articles.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Fri May 05, 2017 7:57 pm

I loved Retro Shamer!
I don't think we should mythologise games from the past. Some games used the limited resource hardware of the time and were masterpieces. Some games used the limited resources of the time and were garbage. True there are some Marmite games, but there are some that not even the programmers mother could love.

I love a snarky write up of a bad game me.

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Sat May 06, 2017 12:05 pm

Is is possible to get Retro Gamer air-freighted over to australia via subscription?
Even though I subscribe, I tend to buy it anyway from my local newsagent as they always get the magazine 2 or 3 weeks before I do. This leaves me with an extra copy of the magazine that I have to try to sell to recoup my investment....

Dehumanizer

Post by Dehumanizer » Sat May 06, 2017 3:06 pm

On the index page: "Golden Axe: The Revenge of Black Adder". It's correct ("Death Adder") on the article itself.

I'd totally buy a "Revenge of Black Adder" game... perhaps in the Telltale style, with the surviving members of the original cast voicing their characters... :)