From the forum issue 168 - Multiplayer scumbaggery

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

NickThorpe

From the forum issue 168 - Multiplayer scumbaggery

Post by NickThorpe » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:15 pm

Hello everyone! Last night, the RG team went to Darran's shed and engaged in multiplayer battle. One unnamed scumbag (that definitely, certainly, absolutely wasn't me - honest) decided he'd eke out close victories in Windjammers by holding the disc, running down the timer in the closing seconds of a game. Unacceptable behaviour.

So, what I want to know is: What's the scummiest thing you've done (or had done to you) to win a multiplayer game? We're looking for peak unsporting conduct - that guy who always picks Oddjob, the "unintentional" controller disconnect, the people who actually use cheat codes.

Some replies will appear in an issue of Retro Gamer. Specifically, issue 168.

RodimusPrime

Re: From the forum issue 168 - Multiplayer scumbaggery

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:23 pm

ISS on PS1. messed around with the player stats. Gary Neville sprinting down the wing with the ball outrunning Henry and smashing a 30 yard shot into the top corner.

Champ manager. using the editor to make up loads of 16 to 17 year old players with amazing stats and signing them all up in a multiplayer game with around 3 other players. mates still wonder what happened to Wolfgang Gang in real life.

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:35 pm

I remember exploiting the fact in SNES FIFA Soccer that meant if you shot from a certain point at the edge of the box you were almost certain to score. Used it often against my friend until he cottoned on and banned it.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:15 pm

COD4 - Modern Warfare - Killhouse map, crouched down in the far top corner behind the wall with the Godly RPD, doing nothing but looking down the sight and slaughtering everyone who appeared in front of me, including those just spawning! never had so much online abuse :lol: but also never had so many perfect victories 8) genuinely funny how annoyed people get when you hammer down the tent pegs and go camping.

RichL

Post by RichL » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:06 pm

I never play multi player for these kind of reasons (and many others)

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:07 pm

Me and David Simpson used to play Bubble Bobble on his Amiga every lunchtime (and often forget to return to school), and during the "Extend" screens used to wrestle to try and 'submit' the other with either armbars or leglocks in particular. But if I saw by say level 50 he was outscoring me I would simply get up and punch him in the head, repeatedly, until he would lose consciousness and forget that he was winning the game.

Ironically forgetting of course that Bubble Bobble is a team effort, so in fact I lost in the end because he was indeed a most decent player.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:29 pm

Just the usual- pulling out someones controllers, setting them up with a crap team opponent statwise to ensure a one sided battle...and of course camping in FPS games is unsporting!
Dirtiest tactics is using cheats on Mortal Kombat 2 on megadrive...hard to take on someone with the ability of one punch kills! :lol:

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:36 pm

The original host advantage: giving your mate your third party second controller.

mrmessy

Post by mrmessy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:04 pm

Not quite multiplayer as such, but I was round a friend's house some time in '83 or '84, playing Jet Pac on his ZX Spectrum and we decided to have a high score challenge. I went first and naturally tried to play through the levels as I played.

When it was my friend's turn, he just stood on the top platform and constantly shot the fire balls and racked up loads of points without having to actually move much. He made no attempt to complete the first level. He won. I was furious and left in a huff.
'79:Micro5500> '83:Spec(48K)> '84:Spec+(kit)> '86:Spec128> '88:ST> '90:A500> '93:A1200> '93:SNES> '95:PS1> '99:PC> '02:PS2> '05:Xbox> '12:X360> '14:PS4... XboxLive:messy73, PSN:mrmessy73, YouTube:mrmessyschannel

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:39 am

Still the funniest thing I have seen in a multiplayer game was by brother and my next door neighbour playing Striker on the Atari ST back in the day.

Basically my brother fouled my neighbour in his own box with the score at 1-1. It was right on the penalty spot and so he was awarded a free kick. But my brother totally confused him by yelling PENALTY! My neighbour then turned the player round and booted the ball into his own net to score an own goal :lol:

My brother won the game 2-1 because of that goal.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:22 am

bf2 MC on the original xbox, just getting sick of other team killers and planting c4 in a jeep then watching them drive 10 metres away then

BLAM

Sokurah

Post by Sokurah » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:13 pm

I've played multiplayer games since at least Warcraft: Orcs & Humans back in 1994, so I've been at it for a long time.
My friends and I would meet up often, set our computers up in one room and play RTS or FPS entire weekends.

One of the big hits were the original Doom, where 4 players could play against each other.
Man, we spent thousands of hours on that ... and I always had the "pleasure" of setting the IPX/SPX network up for all of us.

The player would normally be assigned a colour randomly - red, blue, yellow or black, but I discovered that if I edited a network address setting in a network INI file to #00000000 then I'd usually be assigned black and it annoyed my friends to no end that I was always the black character as it was easiest for that one to hide in the shadows. :lol:
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware for PC & Mac.
Twitter: Sokurah

RuySan

Post by RuySan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:44 pm

Not me (I swear), but a friend of mine used to abuse the "push aside" button combo on the FIFA Soccer, Megadrive Version. After he scored the first, he just spammed the pushing to keep the game always interrupted. The referee never gave red cards this way, only yellows :D

lavalyte

Post by lavalyte » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:51 am

I used to play Command and Conquer out of hours at work, and created an early Zerg Rush tactic by doing nothing but building a bundle of recon bikes as quickly as possible, screaming over to my opponents and blowing up their slower developing bases.
'I have nothing but the greatest respect for other peoples' crackpot beliefs' - Sam The Eagle.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:12 am

Have to admit, I laughed at that Striker story :lol:

Also on the very early FIFA Soccer, had it on the PC, and the same shooting exploit was possible, so it must have been running very similar code. Camping is generally why there's spawn protection enacted in the Gears games, to reduce such abuse heh.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...