Retro Gamer issue 166

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Gibberish Driftwood

Retro Gamer issue 166

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:53 pm

A bit surprised there isnt a thread for this issue.
Whats it like?
*nudge nudge wink wink*
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

ianpmarks

Re: Retro Gamer issue 166

Post by ianpmarks » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:07 pm

Seems like quite a good issue. Some articles I'm looking forward to reading.
I'm not sure about the fact that there are two articles about non-retro games in there. There's one about Chronosoft, and one about Yookalaylie. Both are good but they aren't really retro - as they are produced today. The magazine already has a homebrew section, and I'm not against the occasional article - but 2 in one issue, plus the homebrew section seems a lot of non retro content.

Oh well, I'm sure lots will love it, but for me not so much.

merman

Post by merman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:18 pm

ianpmarks wrote:Seems like quite a good issue. Some articles I'm looking forward to reading.
I'm not sure about the fact that there are two articles about non-retro games in there. There's one about Chronosoft, and one about Yookalaylie. Both are good but they aren't really retro - as they are produced today. The magazine already has a homebrew section, and I'm not against the occasional article - but 2 in one issue, plus the homebrew section seems a lot of non retro content.

Cronosoft make new games for retro machines.
The Yooka Laylie piece is a "Retro Inspired" article, looking at a modern game inspired by retro games.

Good issue all round, especially the Road Rash and Amiga 500 pieces.
But I was slightly disappointed in the Disney article, as it comes across as just a list - with some developer input on the 16-bit platformers.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:02 pm

merman wrote:
ianpmarks wrote:Seems like quite a good issue. Some articles I'm looking forward to reading.

Cronosoft make new games for retro machines.
The Yooka Laylie piece is a "Retro Inspired" article, looking at a modern game inspired by retro games.
Surprisingly I do actually know who Chronosoft are... I quite like them and have played quite a few of their games. However I think it boils down to whether you think new games for old machines is retro - I don't but I'm sure others will.
As for 'retro inspired' that seems a bit of a cop out to me. You could apply that tag to a lot of modern games. It's also quite long at 4 pages - double the length of the usual Future Classics.

Having said that I still think it looks a good issue. I'm disappointed by those two articles. You by the Disney one. Luckily we are not all the same.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:50 pm

I'd imagine the only place Cronosoft could get reviews or be noticed is in a Retro Mag as I can't see any Spectrum or C64 mags on the shelves in my local WHSmith!
Still, each to their own :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:14 pm

Considering how my local GAME has a massive display for Yooka Laylee its good to see content on it. The disney feature is also good.

Sadly theres an awful lot of games ive not played/never will do so a lot of meh content for me.

I am MASSIVELY looking forward to the Phantasy Star article next issue.

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Silanda

Post by Silanda » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:27 pm

Okay, I've got to grumble about this because I spotted it immediately. More than once in the Road Rash article Don Veca is prominently credited as Don Vega.
Last edited by Silanda on Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:40 pm

Whats the deal with international subscriptions - they have been really bad over the last few months - haven't seen an issue for 6 weeks, and still two issues behind? Is it something to do with the new publisher?

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:29 am

Amiga article is excellent. It is a shame that the magazine no longer comes in a resealable bag though.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:55 am

hasn't the bag been the same for about the last 10 years?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:57 am

Someone needs to learn what definitive means.

Definitive Guide to Disney games. A guide that very heavily leaned towards sega for the 8 and 16 bit parts.

No mention of Capcoms magical quest series in the timeline and not a single screenshot ( did it even mention the 3rd game ). Bar a handful of words it was barely mentioned. Essential games were all Sega bar kingdom hearts. No chip and dale in the timeline and a few words in the main article.

Castle of illusion on the megadrive is my favorite of them all, but this article was seriously unbalanced.

Not often I find something that bugs me enough to write on here but I was looking forward to this article and still enjoyed everything else but there is no denying the author had a very very obvious preference.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:18 am

Dont see the fuss about the Cronosoft article. Thought it was great, even in 2017 they're publishing games for retro systems on tape etc. Its fascinating to read about them, an excellent article for me and for sure is right for the magazine.

Not the strongest issue for me however this month (bar the Cronosoft article) but sometimes you get issues like this. The Disney article looks good and i will give the Road Rash one a go (never was keen on that game) but it might make me fire it up again

ianpmarks

Re: Retro Gamer issue 1

Post by ianpmarks » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:59 am

psj3809 wrote:Dont see the fuss about the Cronosoft article. Thought it was great, even in 2017 they're publishing games for retro systems on tape etc. Its fascinating to read about them, an excellent article for me and for sure is right for the magazine.
I think fuss may be over hyping the issue. I just questioned the amount of modern stuff in the magazine. You don't agree... that's fair enough. No fuss at all.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:05 am

Is a new game for a retro system a modern game though?

I think it fits in with the RG content better than the modern games for modern systems with retro stylings, or new games in long running franchises that have their roots in retro.

Cronosoft have been on the go for longer than some of the games/systems that appear as retro in the mag now too, they've been around for 15 years now.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:20 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Is a new game for a retro system a modern game though?

I think it fits in with the RG content better than the modern games for modern systems with retro stylings, or new games in long running franchises that have their roots in retro.

Cronosoft have been on the go for longer than some of the games/systems that appear as retro in the mag now too, they've been around for 15 years now.
I think I've been misunderstood here, probably due to my own unclear post. I like Chronosoft and enjoyed the article. I was just questioning having the article in the magazine as well as another 4 pages on a modern game Yookalaylee in the same issue. Seemed a lot of modern content. I was just expressing my opinion, and obviously not many agree. Thats ok, doesn't change how i feel about it though.