Questions for Richard 'Mortal Kombat' Costello PLEASE HELP!

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RichardC

Re: Questions for Richard 'Mortal Kombat' Costello PLEASE HE

Post by RichardC » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:56 am

Q: How did he find working on the mighty C16?

A: Thats a question being asked with hindsight. When you look back from today to then you're thinking 3GHz down to 1MHz and 16GB down to 16K! But back then looking forward every new machine was awesome compared to what came before. So programming the C16 was just like programming anything really. The Commodore machines had hideous firmware so were not nice to develop on, so I wrote the code on a BBC Micro and got my Mum (now still going at 91) to type the resultant hex into the C16. I guess my Mum was my first remote development platform :-). For later games I used an Atari Mega4 ST as a remote development platform and then a 386DX40 PC for MK and later. The C16 was OK, for the time and a lot better than a ZX81!

RichardC

Re: Questions for Richard 'Mortal Kombat' Costello PLEASE HE

Post by RichardC » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:59 am

Q: Was the BBC B his first machine? What did he think of the resources balance of it? And of the other machines he worked with?

A: My first computer experience was a Tandy TRS80 at school and the first computer I owned was a Commodore VIC20 which was quickly replaced with a BBC Model A, which quickly became a BBC Model B. Initially with tape recorder, then from payment for my first commercial software (Colours and Shapes educational software for infants) I got my first disk drive (5.25 floppy). Acorn were the Apple of today, they had Sophie (Roger) Wilson and Steve Furber its just a shame the marketing and management couldn't make them into an Apple. Programming the BBC Micro was lovely, I really regret going down the 68000 path (ST/Amiga) looking back I wish I had stayed with Acorn and travelled along the ARM path.

Q: Was there anything, in retrospect, in his games he'd wish he had fixed or changed before they got out the door, things he later learned that could have been applied?

A: A: When I finally got my hands onto an A1200 I discovered a bug in my boot loader which is the reason why my rainbow effect Amiga logo didn't appear on an A1200 (AGA chipset) in MK and MK2, actually it did appear just very dark grey on a black background. I wish I had cured that because it really bugged me when that logo didnt appear on MK and MK2. Apart from that I was happy with the finished articles.

To be honest, by the end of game development I got sick of them and it was a MAJOR relief to finish something and get it released. So it was always a time to look forward and not think about regrets etc. MK2 naturally followed on from MK1 and could correct some limitations, in MK1 I had tried to use the hardware sprites for some of one of the players which turned out a total mess for various reasons. I scrapped that for MK2 and just used software (Blitter) sprites which was a much tider solution and worked well. I regret not getting to play with the Amiga's sprite hardware more, but their use was limited, meaning the game really had to be designed around their limitations. Which wasn't viable with an arcade conversion unless by coincidence the arcade spec matched the Amiga's limitations.

RichardC

Re: Questions for Richard 'Mortal Kombat' Costello PLEASE HELP!

Post by RichardC » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:02 am

Many thanks for the interest, and I hope you enjoyed reading the article as much I as enjoyed the interview.

merman

Post by merman » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:29 pm

Many thanks Richard!
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:39 pm

Thanks a lot! Do you still have your old source code and data?

DRS

Post by DRS » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:48 am

A big thanks from me to Richard for signing up to our forums and answering all the questions in such detail! Really appreciate it - I only have room to include a handful of readers questions in the mag and kind of try to include at least one from everyone, picking what i (very subjectively) feel have elicited the most interesting replies, then having to edit them down to fit in the 350 word space.. so cheers Richard for doing such a thorough job - and thanks to all the readers who submitted questions :)

Next castaway is Adrian Longland for RG172 - cheerio til then

RichardC

Post by RichardC » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:45 am

NorthWay wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:39 pm
Thanks a lot! Do you still have your old source code and data?
Yup, I keep everything. I've got an original boxed copy of each game and all the original 3.5" floppy discs I kept backups on. Plus, as time went on and I upgraded to the MegaST and 386 PC I copied everything onto hard disc so its all currently in my Apple Mac too.