Retro Gamer - Issue 165

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Tabe

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 165

Post by Tabe » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:46 am

merman wrote:
Tabe wrote:I haven't yet picked up my copy (we in America just got it) but I've seen the list of Apple games and am truly baffled by some of the selections. Mystery House over all the other Sierra games? Choosing Ultima 1? Over its four other, vastly superior sequels? I can't imagine you could find more than 1 person in 1000 that's played them that would pick U1 as the best of the first 5 in the Ultima series. Also, Raster Blaster over Night Mission? Hard Hat Mack? Where are the SSI games? Summer Games, Winter Games?

Having said that, love having more Apple coverage in the mag!
I think it's because people chose the games they most closely associate with the Apple-II. I played the Ultima games on C64, so wouldn't necessarily call them an "Apple" game. The same with Hard Hat Mack.
All 5 of the first 5 Ultima games were created on the Apple and then ported elsewhere. They were very definitely "Apple" games.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:41 am

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can get a paper copy of this particular issue? The subscription failed to turn up and the subs team said they don't have any more copies to give, so its tough luck, which is a bit annoying - have been collecting since issue 40 without missing an issue, and its only been a month since it was released....

I've searched ebay without any matches, and I'm not aware of any local shops that stock it where I live in New Zealand.

There used to be an Imagine Shop page for buying single issues like this but that doesn't seem to exist anymore either.

merman

Post by merman » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:52 am

antsbull wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can get a paper copy of this particular issue? The subscription failed to turn up and the subs team said they don't have any more copies to give, so its tough luck, which is a bit annoying - have been collecting since issue 40 without missing an issue, and its only been a month since it was released....

I've searched ebay without any matches, and I'm not aware of any local shops that stock it where I live in New Zealand.

There used to be an Imagine Shop page for buying single issues like this but that doesn't seem to exist anymore either.

The magazine is now switching to Future's shop - www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

merman

Post by merman » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:54 am

Tabe, ipmarks - this was a reader's top 25, based on votes placed in various places. (This and other gaming forums, Twitter and Facebook.)

The end result is the readers' favourites, not necessarily the best all round games.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:58 am

merman wrote:Tabe, ipmarks - this was a reader's top 25, based on votes placed in various places. (This and other gaming forums, Twitter and Facebook.)

The end result is the readers' favourites, not necessarily the best all round games.
Fair enough. But it still beggars belief that anyone would vote for Flight Simulator I over Flight Simulator II.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sun May 21, 2017 2:58 pm

NorthWay wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:02 am
I get EDGE every month so I know Future can do proper paper if they want to.
Erm... did the paper quality in EDGE also deteriorate as of recently? I was just reading my latest sub issue and though there was a little warping in the paper there too (though not as much as in RG).