Retro Gamer - Issue 165

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

dave3622

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 165

Post by dave3622 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:06 pm

andy vaisey wrote:
dave3622 wrote:
andy vaisey wrote:Have briefly thumbed through the magazine and can't find any coverage of the game named on the cover, 'Uridum 2'... ;)
You must have thumbed through VERY briefly! It starts on page 48.
Yes, coverage for Uridium starts on page 48.

However, my cover promises 'Uridum'...
Lol, sorry I missed that! The smiley wink should have been enough, guess I was off-form that day! :D

andy vaisey

Post by andy vaisey » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:41 pm

@dave3622 ;)

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:13 am

NickThorpe wrote:A made-up cover award would be a great story, but the truth is far more horrifying.

PSExtreme did actually exist and ran a Bubsy 3D cover story, and later awarded the game 93%, making it apparently just as good as acknowledged classics Tekken and Doom.

Fair enough, I learn something every day

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:02 am

Sour grapes: Is the paper worse than ever? It looks like it has been wet and then been dried. Is it some ultra-cheap re-circulated quality?
I get EDGE every month so I know Future can do proper paper if they want to. This is just stupid for the sake of it.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:27 pm

NorthWay wrote:Sour grapes: Is the paper worse than ever? It looks like it has been wet and then been dried
I've said this a few times but nothing seems to change. The paper is often wavy-looking, especially if the page is predominantly a photo and not text.

The terrible paper quality plus some bizarre printing of tiny text and strange colours (mentioned by others often)
means it's often very difficult to read.

It must be really frustrating for the team to spend so much time researching and writing articles and the art dept trying to make it all look cool, for it then to be printed so poorly.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:11 pm

Perhaps an attempt to push us towards digital subs?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:16 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Perhaps an attempt to push us towards digital subs?
Dunno, possible I guess - I seem to have been moaning about this for quite a long time though ........ :lol: :?

(Issue 138)
Bub&Bob wrote:Is it me or is the quality of the paper terrible?
(Issue 147)
Bub&Bob wrote:I think we are only one or maybe two steps away from toilet paper :? Honestly, mine looks like the paper got wet and then dried
(Issue 160)
Bub&Bob wrote:I know I bang on about this but what's the point of well written articles, with great art and design utterly ruined by beIng printed on sh*te paper - it really spoils it for me
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:04 pm

You've got me going through the last few issues to look at paper quality now!

I'm sitting here rubbing pages between my fingers, the wife keeps asking if I'm ok :lol: But to me, they just feel like magazine paper?! I can read everything clearly and they turn from one to the next... Am I missing something?
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:53 am

^Same here. Mag seems fine to me, i've had the odd strange column of text i cant read but i think thats just part of my slight colour blindness if theres a certain colour on top of a certain coloured background.

But the papers totally fine for me. No smudged photos or that (had that happen in one issue ages ago)

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:45 pm

I have a suspicion that RG is being printed on different paper types at different stages of its print run. I found a copy of the December issue printed on (reasonably) glossy paper in Edinburgh airport, but decided not to buy it as I had a lot of luggage & didn't want to crease it. When I visited my local WH Smith the next day (in London), I found every copy was printed on rough paper that made it difficult to read certain articles.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:26 am

Agreed - I've never noticed anything wrong in terms of paper quality or even the colour choices, that seem to be another popular complaint - have never struggled to read an article, started buying the mag around RG40.

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:21 am

ianpmarks wrote:The time has come for me to stop reading the magazine.
Not because of the content - it looks like a great issue, but because I physically find it difficult to read, even with my reading glasses on. Its actually frustrating, and a stop start experience.

I also read Private Eye, Viz, BBC History and Practical Classics, and with my glasses on they are all easy to read, in fact most of them I can read without glasses. Retro Gamer however really is a struggle even with my glasses on, and near impossible to read with them off. The photo captions particularly are ridiculously small. I have just given up trying to read them.

Text/background colour combinations are often bizarre, and coupled with poor quality printing do not make for a pleasant reading experience. This months worst (but not only) offenders were Action Max - white text on grey was a struggle, as well as poor printing. Also the Apple II article was difficult even with white on black, as the print quality was poor, and in the middle too pages blurry anyway. I recently found an old RG my loft from a few years back - Final Fantasy - and the difference in paper and print quality between it and the current Zelda issue is staggering.

I'm not the only one to have problems, and I always thought I'd stop reading when i wasn't enjoying the content. However the last few issues have been great content wise. I just find it physicallu an unpleasurable reading experience - so I'll just read the magazines that have sensible sized fonts in sensible/readable colours. Sorry.
I can certainly agree with your complaints.

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:29 am

I haven't yet picked up my copy (we in America just got it) but I've seen the list of Apple games and am truly baffled by some of the selections. Mystery House over all the other Sierra games? Choosing Ultima 1? Over its four other, vastly superior sequels? I can't imagine you could find more than 1 person in 1000 that's played them that would pick U1 as the best of the first 5 in the Ultima series. Also, Raster Blaster over Night Mission? Hard Hat Mack? Where are the SSI games? Summer Games, Winter Games?

Having said that, love having more Apple coverage in the mag!

merman

Post by merman » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:32 pm

Tabe wrote:I haven't yet picked up my copy (we in America just got it) but I've seen the list of Apple games and am truly baffled by some of the selections. Mystery House over all the other Sierra games? Choosing Ultima 1? Over its four other, vastly superior sequels? I can't imagine you could find more than 1 person in 1000 that's played them that would pick U1 as the best of the first 5 in the Ultima series. Also, Raster Blaster over Night Mission? Hard Hat Mack? Where are the SSI games? Summer Games, Winter Games?

Having said that, love having more Apple coverage in the mag!
I think it's because people chose the games they most closely associate with the Apple-II. I played the Ultima games on C64, so wouldn't necessarily call them an "Apple" game. The same with Hard Hat Mack.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:42 pm

Also the Apple II article picked Flight Simulator over Flight Simulator II. FS II is in a completely different league to the first one. No-one would play the original over its sequel.

With this and Ultima it's whether the article author wanted to show the best games on the system or the most original/system exclusives. Surely though a Top 25 games article would be the best ones though? Maybe not. Did enjoy the article though... love the Apple II. More about it in the magazine please.