What Happened to the article "30 Years of Amiga 500"

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

boyblue

What Happened to the article "30 Years of Amiga 500"

Post by boyblue » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:48 pm

As a true Retro Gamer (e.g. started with 8 bit and 16 bit machines not the Playstation!), I was over the moon when I read the full page advert in issue 164 that issue 165 was to be based around a main article "30 Years of Amiga 500". I often go to the "Next Month" advert when I have read what little Spectrum or Amiga content there is in the current issue, hoping that there will be something along those lines in the coming month.

I understand that to expand the readership it is beneficial for the magazine to regard later machines as retro and that I probably missed the best of your Spectrum and Amiga coverage before I Subscribed but I only found out about the magazine 3 Years ago. The point is that I still subscribe, hoping for you to cover what interests me primarily. I still read some of the articles about machines that I never even owned, realising that the magazine needs to have something for everyone (I went on to own a PS1, PS2 and an XBOX 360). Even so, retro for me remains to be pre 32 bit.

So I eagerly open this month's mag expecting the article of all articles "30 Years of Amiga 500" and there is no sign of it or of an apology for it's omission.

When I checked out the usual "Next Month" page at the back of issue165,I see here is to be lesser Amiga article planned entitled "Rise of the Amiga 500"
1. Where is the Amiga article advertised for issue 165
2. What are you going to do to stop me cancelling my subscription.

knight_beat

Re: What Happened to the article "30 Years of Amiga 500"

Post by knight_beat » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:20 pm

I'm a big Amiga fan as well, though I can't say I'm concerned that the article was delayed. These things have happened before (the history of Sega article was delayed by 1-2 months IIRC) and will probably happen again. It's a bit early to celebrate the 30th anniversary anyway, given that it went on sale in Europe during May 1987 (according to Wikipedia). The important thing is that we'll be able to read it in the near future.

If you're interested in Amiga coverage, I recommend Amiga Future - a bi-monthly, full colour magazine that covers the 68k & PPC Amiga scene.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:51 pm

The article will come. This has happened before for various reasons but a month or so later the article appears.

Be a bit over the top to cancel your subscription though

boyblue

Post by boyblue » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:03 pm

Cheers knight_beat but I was reading Amiga Future before I had even heard of Retro Gamer.

I didn't rush to Wikipedia to do the maths I simply read an advertisement for an article I would be interested in and expected the mag to follow through with it. Not sure how you know it will appear in the near future.

If they had printed one line to say "sorry guys, change of plan" I wouldn't have been so annoyed. Like I said before I put up with plenty of content that doesn't interest me each month, just for the bits that do. I read the advert and spent a month looking forward to it and was naturally extremely disappointed when it didn't appear. At least I found out on page 9 that could get Chuckie Egg for my iPhone so "every cloud......"

RichL

Post by RichL » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:25 am

Hmm. Bit funny if you ask me.

Switch coverage? Why? Because it's released in a couple of days?

You can play Atari 2600 games on the PS4, where is that 4 page article?

Zelda article - coincidence that a massive NEW Zelda game is also released in a couple of days and it's a cash in issue?

I can't believe for a retro magazine you've put a Switch on the cover. No retro games have even been announced for it, Nintendo have not given a single hint about virtual console, so why do it unless it's a simple cash grab attempt?

mrmessy

Post by mrmessy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:46 am

I too was pretty disappointed to find no Amiga article after last month's advert. I too feel that the magazine is at it's best when it is covering the pre-32 bit period.

I hope the Amiga article has only been delayed, and will still see the light of day!

Come on RG staff, let us know! Thanks.
'79:Micro5500> '83:Spec(48K)> '84:Spec+(kit)> '86:Spec128> '88:ST> '90:A500> '93:A1200> '93:SNES> '95:PS1> '99:PC> '02:PS2> '05:Xbox> '12:X360> '14:PS4... XboxLive:messy73, PSN:mrmessy73, YouTube:mrmessyschannel

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:07 am

Rise of the Amiga (which is the 30-year celebration article), is in the next issue of Retro Gamer :)
Hope you all look forward to it, Kim Justice has done a cracking job and the delay allowed for more interviews.

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:31 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Rise of the Amiga (which is the 30-year celebration article), is in the next issue of Retro Gamer :)
Hope you all look forward to it, Kim Justice has done a cracking job and the delay allowed for more interviews.
I'm looking forward to it :)

I don't mind waiting an extra month if it's going to be a better feature.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V