From The Forum issue 166 - First Amiga Encounters

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

HalcyonDaze00

Re: From The Forum issue 166 - First Amiga Encounters

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:08 pm

Must have been around 1989 when I got the mighty Amiga, it came with the 10 Star Pack (Ikari Warriors, Wizball, Barbarian, Buggy Boy, The Art Of Chess, Thundercats, Mercenary, Terrorpods, are the 8 I remember). Barbarian, Ikari Warriors, Wizball, Buggy Boy, were great fun, and I also bought Kick Off at the same time which became the game everybody wanted to play.

I'd saved up ages to buy it and remember walking out of Manchester Arndale and rushing home to set it all up. Awesome machine.

mrmessy

Post by mrmessy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:00 pm

I saw Shadow of the Beast running on an Amiga in a computer shop in Stourbridge in 1989. I immediately decided I had to sell my Atari STFM and buy an Amiga. And by May 1990 I had done. I'm fickle like that.
Last edited by mrmessy on Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'79:Micro5500> '83:Spec(48K)> '84:Spec+(kit)> '86:Spec128> '88:ST> '90:A500> '93:A1200> '93:SNES> '95:PS1> '99:PC> '02:PS2> '05:Xbox> '12:X360> '14:PS4... XboxLive:messy73, PSN:mrmessy73, YouTube:mrmessyschannel

lupogtiboy

Post by lupogtiboy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:19 am

There used to be a sweet shop on my way home from secondary school that sold computers and games as a side line (ironic now they only sell computers!) It was called Sweethaven, and they would often have a machine set-up behind the counter running demos and games. This was my 1st expose to all things Amiga. After asking (nicely!) for one for Christmas, only to be told that they were too expensive, imagine mine and my brothers surprise when we unwrapped a Cartoons Classics Amiga 500+ on Christmas morning one year! If I recall correctly, Bart Vs The Space Mutants was the first game to be played, loved watching the intro over and over, in awe of the graphics and the sound. By the end of the day, I hated Bart for his continual 'Eat My Shorts!' whenever he died!
Its small, its fast, its just gone past! www.clublupo.co.uk

its not a proper job, and you can never go too far

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:38 pm

I think it was early '89 when I got mine from (via mail order) from Silica Shop in Kent. It was the 10 game pack version, also got Deluxe Video and Deluxe Music as well, I had just got a credit card (£500 limit!) and maxed it out on my miggy.
It arrived (whilst I was at work) and my siblings (gawd bless 'em) opened the parcel, plugged it all together (without my knowledge) and promptly blew it.
Don't know how/why, all I knew was I came home to a dead A500, sent it back, got a replacement and all was well in the world, siblings BANNED under pain of death to NEVER, EVER, touch it.

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:10 am

Sold my beloved Spectrum+ to fund the purchase of an A500+ as a Christmas present to myself, and bought for it Harlequin (bought my Spectrum back the following year - sans all my Crash magazines - as I couldn't be without it). Still enjoy that first game purchase, despite never quite completing it. Fab machine.

lavalyte

Post by lavalyte » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:25 am

A Commodore dealer called Steve's Communications which I used to moon about in looking at their C64 stuff had a monitor running the Amiga's running horse demo. It looked like such a leap in quality.
'I have nothing but the greatest respect for other peoples' crackpot beliefs' - Sam The Eagle.

mlucifersam

Post by mlucifersam » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:57 am

I'd already seen a Amiga but it was running some of those early games that didn't really look all that great. It was when I was working in a computer shop in 1989 and we had a delivery of about 20 of those huge long boxes containing 'Shadow of the Beast' with the t-shirt in them. I think they retailed at £44.95. We loaded one up on the Amiga that sat in the shop window. There was soon a crowd outside looking at the monitor and people started coming in and buying the game and a machine at the same time. Every following Saturday for the next few months we had Beast running in the shop window, the same pattern followed, people watching it outside in the street would come in a buy both. Once I'd seen 'Shadow of the Beast' and how popular the machine was getting I had to get one of my own.
Mark R. Jones

Ocean Software Ltd FB page: http://www.facebook.com/OceanSoftwareLtd
Ultimate Play The Game FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ultimateptg

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:59 pm

The 'Juggler' demo playing on a TV advertisement. Then going to the local department store and seeing 50+ people crowded around it watching a guy play Faery Tale Adventure.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:27 pm

At a friend's house in 1988, and I was blown away by Sword of Sodan, by Super Hang-On, by the graphics, by the sound, by everything.

Got my own A500 on july 10th, 1989 and the first game I loaded was Out Run. Liked it despite being one of the worst Amiga games ever, but it's been better and better ever since. A computer that was 10 years ahead of everything else at the time, and that I still couldn't do without today :)

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:52 pm

The kid no one liked at school had one, his overbearing mother was paranoid about it overheating, so we could only play Robocop 2 for about 10 minutes.
Last edited by RetroBob on Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:10 am

My first job, one of my first pay packets. Bought an Amiga 1200 from a shop in Morden. £400. The computer and four games. One of which was Syndicate. Worth every penny.

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:31 pm

I remember a friend of a friend had managed to get an A500 in the late '80s and had video'd himself playing some games so we could see what it was like. Distinctly remember seeing Starglider 2 first and being blown away just by the noises, I remember he switched views to outside the ship and the noise of the engines seemed unreal.
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

ArcadeMYK

Post by ArcadeMYK » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:40 pm

Would have been about 1995 when we went to my brothers girlfriends house for a BBQ. Her brother was playing games on a PC that to me looked like a fat version of our Commodore 64/128 and as he was playing Pacmania on it I was blown away by those smooth scrolling 3D graphics.
Was probably one of the first times in my life I ever saw Pacman!
From Game&Watch to PS2 and Arcade in between, its been so much fun every single step of the way.

VideoGame Addict since 1989

lavalyte

Post by lavalyte » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:50 am

My school ran a fair every year, and for many years they hired a caravan that had arcade machines in it.
I can still remember some of the machines;
Guttang Guttong
Bezerk, with a really thick joystick
Asteroids
Crush Roller.
'I have nothing but the greatest respect for other peoples' crackpot beliefs' - Sam The Eagle.