From The Forum issue 165 - Worst jump from 2D to 3D

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

NickThorpe

From The Forum issue 165 - Worst jump from 2D to 3D

Post by NickThorpe » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:55 pm

Hello there, denizens of the Retro Gamer forum! It is time for you to voice your opinions, before opinions are outlawed for good later in 2017. Since we're featuring Bubsy 3D this month, I thought I'd ask: in your opinion, which series had the worst jump from 2D to 3D?

I'm going to go for Earthworm Jim. I loved the Mega Drive games and was tremendously excited for a 3D platformer, but something was horribly wrong with Earthworm Jim 3D from the outset. I detest it, like some kind of alien interloper into my childhood.

Mayhem

Re: From The Forum issue 165 - Worst jump from 2D to 3D

Post by Mayhem » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:38 pm

You mean, aside from Bubsy? :P

The two that spring immediately to mind are Castlevania and Final Fight, neither of which performed any where near as well in execution or success when they tried the third dimension. Contra and Golden Axe didn't fair much better either.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:02 pm

I think Sonic was the biggest disappointment. Lemmings and Worms flat-out didn't work with the primitive environmental modelling of the time, and the new camera view didn't suit those game types at all.

Earthworm Jim, Castlevania, Alundra and a load of others jumped to 3D before the technology was there to do their original designs justice, and just looked so much shoddier than before.

Rygar and Golden Axe just lost their original appeal. It wasn't so much the 3D as the lack of the original games' original and colourful ideas. Everything just became a bit dull and grubby.

Gauntlet suffered from too much going on in 3D - shots and explosion effects flying everywhere in a low camera angle making it impossible to keep an eye on all the players, and multi-layered levels where it wasn't always clear which way you were supposed to go. It was much easier to follow what was going on in the original overhead grid-like view.

Munch's Oddysee, changing pre-rendered sprites for full 3D, then suffered from a lack of variety when the layout switched from side-on platforms to plan-view wandering, and the available area to move around in shrank to a series of artificially walled-in pits.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:53 pm

Golden Axe would have to be the worst Ive ever seen. a 90%+ rated 2D game transformed into a 3D game that I would give no more than 10% is a hefty fall from grace in anyone's books.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:14 pm

Escape from Monkey Island is the second worst 2d-3d conversion I've ever seen.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:05 pm

I'll go with 3D Lemmings. It went from being all about pixel perfect positioning to a horribly frustrating clunky affair where you had to re-learn everything you knew from the 2D games via trial and error.

I don't think that it's any coincidence that Lemmings Revolution returned to the earlier style of gameplay even though it kept the 3D graphics.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:25 pm

Golden Axe Beast Rider springs to mind for me. The game is just a load of Tyris' T&A + blood 'n gore. Note that I don't mind either of those things in a GOOD game but Beast Rider had horrible, deathly dull combat and depressingly linear levels featuring invisible walls and cheap environment-related deaths. The continue/extra lives system was a bit broken too if I remember rightly (you lose all of your lives then restart with just one when you get a game-over...something like that).

Pretty damn poor for a PS3 game.

Didn't actually mind Contra in 3D - Neo Contra on the PS2 was the one I played and I really enjoyed it.

Fatal Fury: Wild Ambition deserves a shout too. Unnecessary and not very fun to play. Crushingly hard too!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:15 am

Worms. While I don't mind the 3D version and occasionally play it on the PS3, the adding of depth to the aiming system was a step too far making the game overly complicated and frustrating.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:26 pm

For me I would say the Oddworld franchise. Munch was vastly inferior to Odyssee and Exodus. It controlled a lot worse and lost much of its charm. I wasnt massive on Stranger.

*waits for someone to say Mario or Zelda to start a war*

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:30 am

Flashback. It lost its rotoscoped smooth animation, move set & controls and most importantly its atmosphere and cool sci-fi story and setting.
Image Image Image Image

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:05 am

Do you mean Fade to Black? I quite liked that. :) Not as good as Flashback though, I certainly agree with that.

Sonic for me. Loved the 2D game, but Sonic didn't take to 3D as naturally as Mario.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:23 pm

Shouldn't the question be if there are any good ones? I understand Mario was one. I count myself lucky I haven't seen Defender.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:31 pm

NorthWay wrote:Shouldn't the question be if there are any good ones? I understand Mario was one. I count myself lucky I haven't seen Defender.
Yeah I thought the opposite is a good question. Mario and Zelda are obvious ones. I'd be interested in which ones were better in 3d than 2d. Rayman for me is the first choice. :)

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:29 pm

kiwimike wrote:
NorthWay wrote:Shouldn't the question be if there are any good ones? I understand Mario was one. I count myself lucky I haven't seen Defender.
Yeah I thought the opposite is a good question. Mario and Zelda are obvious ones. I'd be interested in which ones were better in 3d than 2d. Rayman for me is the first choice. :)

Many (most?) say that the making of GTA was when it moved into the third dimension, but personally I loved the top down 2d original (not the sequel though).

As far as best 2d-3d transfer, Return to Castle Wolfenstein was much better than the original 2d game.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:24 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
kiwimike wrote:

Many (most?) say that the making of GTA was when it moved into the third dimension, but personally I loved the top down 2d original (not the sequel though).

As far as best 2d-3d transfer, Return to Castle Wolfenstein was much better than the original 2d game.
That's a great call. Didn't even think of GTA, or Wolfenstein. :)