Retro Gamer - Issue 164

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6738
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 164

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:40 pm

That's fine RichL, I know you weren't having a personal pop or anything. I was just interested to know what your ideal issue would feature.
We're well aware that we have longterm readers who don't want to read the same stuff all the time, so we always try and make sure we explore new angles :)
Image

RichL
Posts: 680
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:03 pm

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 164

Post by RichL » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:56 pm

Well, while we're at it...

Where is Back to the 00's?

How about a two page review each month of an old classic mag from the month Retro Gamer is out? Zzap, Crash, Amtix, Amiga Power etc? That kinda gets me back to the first point as you included some in that.

A bit more Saturn / PlayStation stuff in now, its getting on a bit age wise!

Have I missed an article yet about the music maestros of the 8 bits? Hubbard, Galway, Dalglish? that would make a fascinating read I reckon.

Lets Play? What happened to that?!

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6738
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 164

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:17 pm

RichL wrote:Well, while we're at it...

Where is Back to the 00's?

How about a two page review each month of an old classic mag from the month Retro Gamer is out? Zzap, Crash, Amtix, Amiga Power etc? That kinda gets me back to the first point as you included some in that.

A bit more Saturn / PlayStation stuff in now, its getting on a bit age wise!

Have I missed an article yet about the music maestros of the 8 bits? Hubbard, Galway, Dalglish? that would make a fascinating read I reckon.

Lets Play? What happened to that?!
Back to the noughties starts next issue.
Printing two old pages from a mag feels lazy and will annoy those who never read it. Maybe a spread about them would be a better idea...

Most issues have PlayStation saturn features, including covers for the last two issues.

We've done a couple of articles on c64 musicians.

I think that's everything you asked about :)
Image

User avatar
Greyfox
Posts: 1953
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:40 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 164

Post by Greyfox » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:19 pm

Can I make suggestion in regards to one musician that I feel has grossly gone unnoticed? A great c64 / Atari St and Amiga composer Wally Beben. Unfortunitly its come to my attention that Wally is quite Ill at present and if possible to try and establish a connection with him to reflect on his time as a video game composer which I most certainly believe should be acknowledged for his contribution to the computer video game scene, but time may be running out, I'm friends with him on Facebook and could possible setup a connection to this? Before it is too late type situation.
↓↓Click Banners to See More↓↓
ImageImage

RichL
Posts: 680
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:03 pm

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 164

Post by RichL » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:17 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
RichL wrote:Well, while we're at it...

Where is Back to the 00's?

How about a two page review each month of an old classic mag from the month Retro Gamer is out? Zzap, Crash, Amtix, Amiga Power etc? That kinda gets me back to the first point as you included some in that.

A bit more Saturn / PlayStation stuff in now, its getting on a bit age wise!

Have I missed an article yet about the music maestros of the 8 bits? Hubbard, Galway, Dalglish? that would make a fascinating read I reckon.

Lets Play? What happened to that?!
Back to the noughties starts next issue.
Printing two old pages from a mag feels lazy and will annoy those who never read it. Maybe a spread about them would be a better idea...

Most issues have PlayStation saturn features, including covers for the last two issues.

We've done a couple of articles on c64 musicians.

I think that's everything you asked about :)
LOL thanks Darran :D

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6738
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 164

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:11 am

Greyfox wrote:Can I make suggestion in regards to one musician that I feel has grossly gone unnoticed? A great c64 / Atari St and Amiga composer Wally Beben. Unfortunitly its come to my attention that Wally is quite Ill at present and if possible to try and establish a connection with him to reflect on his time as a video game composer which I most certainly believe should be acknowledged for his contribution to the computer video game scene, but time may be running out, I'm friends with him on Facebook and could possible setup a connection to this? Before it is too late type situation.
By all means, but if he's that poorly he's probably not going to want to talk.
Image

DRS
Posts: 511
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:47 am
Location: Nottingham

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 164

Post by DRS » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:53 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote: Hope they mention the 8 bit conversions in the Hunchback article.
Thanks for the interest mate! Martyn did an excellent and pretty comprehensive look at all the Hunchback 8-bit conversions at the start of last year so I purposely didn't give them a lot of space, though mentioned how Ocean came to own the IP and did a boxout on some clones... hope that at least made you smile and didn't stop you getting summat from the article!

NorthWay
Posts: 1570
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:02 am
Location: Grimstad, Norway

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 164

Post by NorthWay » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:23 pm

Got my issue yesterday which is more like back to normal. But back to 163 after the initial browse.

User avatar
sirclive1
Posts: 1933
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:57 am
Location: lancaster

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 164

Post by sirclive1 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:39 am

Really enjoyed this issue , i'm a huge match day fan so that instantly appealed to me , the resident evil feature was great , full of nuggets of information and it was nice to see hunchback in the magazine . The cover stands out well , i was in smiths yesterday and the first thing that hit my eyes was Retro gamer , amongst all the other bland white magazines that seem to be in fashion at the moment.
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26630
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 164

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:53 pm

DRS wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote: Hope they mention the 8 bit conversions in the Hunchback article.
Thanks for the interest mate! Martyn did an excellent and pretty comprehensive look at all the Hunchback 8-bit conversions at the start of last year so I purposely didn't give them a lot of space, though mentioned how Ocean came to own the IP and did a boxout on some clones... hope that at least made you smile and didn't stop you getting summat from the article!
No worries, you did a sterling job. I only mention the 8 bits as the game has a special place in my heart, and somehow those are the versions I played far more than the arcade. Any Hunchback coverage is good though, and nice to see one of the smaller arcade devs get a big feature. I reckon Hunchback sits firmly at the top of their output.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest