Retro Gamer - Issue 164

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 164

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:39 am

Mayhem wrote:Had a chance to go through the issue now... really enjoyed the Suda51 interview, that's something a bit different :)

As for the SNES Minority Report, most of them are semi obscure (I own half of them!), and all were released in the West. Definitely agree with Run Saber. I would have perhaps included a few titles that were Japan only but accessible to the West, such as DoReMi Fantasy, Umihara Kawase, Violinist of Hamelin, Sanrio World Smash Ball, or Zig Zag Cat.
I'm not sure how often you read the magazine now, but we purposely avoided many of those games you mentioned as the vast majority were covered when we ran a Super Famicom minority report a fair few issues back :)

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:20 am

The Resident Evil and Discworld articles were highlights for me. The rest was average to not interested (like the football article. Meh)

Loving the b-movie style cover though! The anniversaries bit got me excited as well, especially with things like Ecco the Dolphin possibly being covered as i played the second one to death as a young teen!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:17 am

My comment used for From the Forum survival horror games - huzzah!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:43 pm

greenberet79 wrote:My comment used for From the Forum survival horror games - huzzah!
Always nice when that happens. This is the first time since the big Metal Gear retrospective that mine got in!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:21 pm

Oh, forgot to mention in my previous post about your comments on "Go 8-Bit" in the letters section Darran. One reason it may have seemed to pick up as the series progressed, is because the first two episodes filmed were the last two broadcast (I was at one of them). I suspect Dara and the celebs may have been told to tone it down a bit as the filming went on, as it was pretty wild, a bit out of control, and filled with swearing at my broadcast heh. Oh, and filming for the second series has already begun, I'm off to one of the shoots tomorrow.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I'm not sure how often you read the magazine now, but we purposely avoided many of those games you mentioned as the vast majority were covered when we ran a Super Famicom minority report a fair few issues back :)
Life, and a bunch of other stuff has meant I haven't pitched any articles in quiiiiiiiiite a while, but I'm still subscribing to the magazine every month. I went and checked my pile of RGs and this one somehow hadn't been read (still in the blue mailing bag) so that will explain why I never saw the SFC article! Apologies. Now I see why the article this month was just for Western games. I've actually recently played a couple of the games mentioned as part of a SNES book I'm helping write reviews for, as I hadn't tried them before. With that in mind, I might have been tempted to throw Wild Guns (although it has been mentioned in RG before I think) and Spike McFang into the list.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:10 am

Mayhem wrote:Oh, forgot to mention in my previous post about your comments on "Go 8-Bit" in the letters section Darran. One reason it may have seemed to pick up as the series progressed, is because the first two episodes filmed were the last two broadcast (I was at one of them). I suspect Dara and the celebs may have been told to tone it down a bit as the filming went on, as it was pretty wild, a bit out of control, and filled with swearing at my broadcast heh. Oh, and filming for the second series has already begun, I'm off to one of the shoots tomorrow.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I'm not sure how often you read the magazine now, but we purposely avoided many of those games you mentioned as the vast majority were covered when we ran a Super Famicom minority report a fair few issues back :)
Life, and a bunch of other stuff has meant I haven't pitched any articles in quiiiiiiiiite a while, but I'm still subscribing to the magazine every month. I went and checked my pile of RGs and this one somehow hadn't been read (still in the blue mailing bag) so that will explain why I never saw the SFC article! Apologies. Now I see why the article this month was just for Western games. I've actually recently played a couple of the games mentioned as part of a SNES book I'm helping write reviews for, as I hadn't tried them before. With that in mind, I might have been tempted to throw Wild Guns (although it has been mentioned in RG before I think) and Spike McFang into the list.
Both great choices. That's the beauty of Minority Report there's no right or wrong games, you can simply do another one at a later date. Wildguns is fairly well known due to its inclusion on virtual console.

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:40 pm

Read it all now.
Match Day, Gauntlet II, ET, Minority Report, Hunchback and Action Replay were great.
Top Ten article was good, but as others have said did overplay their importance a bit - they weren't exactly Ultimate were they.

Resident Evil and Slimeworld were too long for me. RE I suppose understandable as its a big popular franchise. Slime World didn't deserve 6 pages in my opinion. It's a game hardly anyone's heard of on a poorly selling console. Far bigger games in the last few months have only had 4 pages, so why 6 for this game?
Suda51 man came across as a bit of a twonk, but was quite interesting.

I'm splitting hairs though as i did enjoy the issue.

RichL

Post by RichL » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:18 am

I'm a bit concerned.

The piece 'The Age of Anniversaries' you talk about all these milestones coming up for systems and how you'll be doing stuff on them.

This is stuff you've covered numerous times before and I don't get it.

Lets just take one system mentioned, the Amiga, theres a 130 page bloody bookazine with all of the articles you've done for the Amiga available, are you telling me there is even more to put in the mag now?

You keep going on about how there is tons of new stuff that you haven't even scratched the surface on yet and whilst I love the Amiga, its been done to death surely?

Not to mention the other systems in the article that have had extensive coverage.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:54 am

RichL wrote:I'm a bit concerned.

The piece 'The Age of Anniversaries' you talk about all these milestones coming up for systems and how you'll be doing stuff on them.

This is stuff you've covered numerous times before and I don't get it.

Lets just take one system mentioned, the Amiga, theres a 130 page bloody bookazine with all of the articles you've done for the Amiga available, are you telling me there is even more to put in the mag now?

You keep going on about how there is tons of new stuff that you haven't even scratched the surface on yet and whilst I love the Amiga, its been done to death surely?

Not to mention the other systems in the article that have had extensive coverage.
Retro Gamer is a magazine that celebrates classic games and hardware. When a significant home computer reaches an important milestone we're clearly going to do an article on it, just like a music magazine would do a big piece on the beatles, or another significant band. There are 144 articles every year, hopefully most readers won't mind one being dedicated to the Amiga.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:14 pm

I'd be a REALLY pished off reader if there were no more Amiga articles!!!!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

RichL

Post by RichL » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:46 am

markopoloman wrote:I'd be a REALLY pished off reader if there were no more Amiga articles!!!!
Was just the example I chose to pick.

And it wasn't exactly what I meant with Darran's response. I get it's the anniversary however it's been done to death already. For its anniversary, just include a feee copy of the 130 page mag containing all the other stuff they've done...

If they've got a whole separate book, containing all the articles, why do we need more about the same subject?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:55 am

RichL wrote:
markopoloman wrote:I'd be a REALLY pished off reader if there were no more Amiga articles!!!!
If they've got a whole separate book, containing all the articles, why do we need more about the same subject?
I'd argue that while you feel that plenty has been said about the contents in our books there are just as many, if not more, who do want additional articles. Ultimately if I thought we covered every angle on a system then we wouldnt cover it. The last thing we want to do is retread stories that have already been covered in the mag. I understand your concerns but i'm hoping you'll find them sufficientally different to other articles.
Out of interest what would your ideal issue of the mag feature?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:11 am

I think I long ago accepted that there are some systems I just don't have much interest in, or have read enough about, or that some articles seem to be a revisit with a slight new angle. Its fine, it keeps new readers coming in and funds the other articles that I do want to read. Since its a lot better than buying a whole issue of PC Zone or Edge at a fiver a pop for maybe 2-6 pages of retro content, I'm still getting good value.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:52 am

There is no such thing as too much Amiga coverage.

RichL

Post by RichL » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:34 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Out of interest what would your ideal issue of the mag feature?
Darran I dont mind Amiga stuff at all, again like I said, it was just the example I picked.

It's not about what I would want in the magazine either, I am but one person and I'm not going to strop off and cancel my sub if you ran another Amiga article.

You have stated that it wont be a rehash of what has come and gone before, that is fine, I respect your answer on that.