Retro Gamer - Issue 164

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Greyfox

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 164

Post by Greyfox » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:57 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote: The biggest issue we have with the Atari ST is twofold, finding people who actually want to talk about it
If the writers aren't there the articles won't happen.
I'm going to ignore those statements, considering I've produced THREE Atari ST only magazines over the last two years amounting to over 200 pages of ST content regardless of opinion to clam fanzine or whichever the content is as important composed and written with great variations of writers and ST fanatics so these statements are clearly untrue, you need to look beyond the officious here regarding the Atari ST platform, as I'm sure the same applies for the vic 20 and dragon 32, but these machines weren't exactly setting the world alight even back then either where they?
↓↓Click Banners to See More↓↓
ImageImage

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:16 am

Greyfox wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote: The biggest issue we have with the Atari ST is twofold, finding people who actually want to talk about it
If the writers aren't there the articles won't happen.
I'm going to ignore those statements, considering I've produced THREE Atari ST only magazines over the last two years amounting to over 200 pages of ST content regardless of opinion to clam fanzine or whichever the content is as important composed and written with great variations of writers and ST fanatics so these statements are clearly untrue, you need to look beyond the officious here regarding the Atari ST platform, as I'm sure the same applies for the vic 20 and dragon 32, but these machines weren't exactly setting the world alight even back then either where they?
It's good to see your fanzines are doing well, but the facts remains, If people don't want to pitch Atari st articles then they won't appear in the magazine. There might be lots of writers eager to discuss how great the machine is, but aside from Kieran, no one pitches.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:33 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:It's good to see your fanzines are doing well, but the facts remains, If people don't want to pitch Atari st articles then they won't appear in the magazine. There might be lots of writers eager to discuss how great the machine is, but aside from Kieran, no one pitches.
I think readers forget (or don't realise) how many of the articles are provided by freelancers, and that it's entirely possible to write something and send it to you for consideration. If its well written, informative (especially if there's some exclusive content like developer interviews to add to it), and fits the tone of the mag features, it could get published. And paid for!
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:05 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:It's good to see your fanzines are doing well, but the facts remains, If people don't want to pitch Atari st articles then they won't appear in the magazine. There might be lots of writers eager to discuss how great the machine is, but aside from Kieran, no one pitches.
I think readers forget (or don't realise) how many of the articles are provided by freelancers, and that it's entirely possible to write something and send it to you for consideration. If its well written, informative (especially if there's some exclusive content like developer interviews to add to it), and fits the tone of the mag features, it could get published. And paid for!
Exactly this Antiriad. If you look back at Retro Gamer it has a history of featuring freelancers who started off as readers of the mag and wanted to plug gaps where they felt content was missing. I never turn down people if I feel they have an interesting story to tell and they can string a sentence together because it's basically good for everyone.

It's worth noting though that we are a commercial magazine. We put together an Atari ST digital magazine to test the waters for a potential book about it (like we did for the Amiga) and it tanked. Like it or not there is more interest in the Amiga than there was for the ST and the mag clearly reflects that. That's not to say that's right, but it's the decision I've made as an editor. I'm always happy to consider Atari ST games and will happily commission more making ofs if people want to submit them. In the meantime keep doing your fanzines because they're vitally important in keeping those communities alive. They also typically cater for content that I'd never, ever put in the mag.

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:21 pm

and looks like i MISSED OUT on 163, was gonna try and get it last week and was unwell
went into town and 164 was already out!!!

*has a wee look at the issue*
SON OF A BIATCH SUDA51 DID SUPER FIRE PRO WRESTLING SPECIAL!!!
well ..... it's a start :mrgreen:

*has another wee look*
DOUBLE HOLY CRAP MATCH DAY HAS HOW MANY PAGES!!!!!

*looks at the next month lineup YES ALREADY*
*assplodes*

bounty bob

Post by bounty bob » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:25 pm

Loving this issue. Couldn't put it down so read it in a day or two.. damn, usually lasts a week or two. I'm going to have to pick up a book now when my thumb's start to hurt from playing old games and need something to do. Keep up the good work.
Atari 800XL thrashes the C64 every time!!!
(well, nearly everytime)
(OK, some of the time)

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:26 pm

Not read it all (yet) but looking like a good issue. The column by Paul Rose was excellent; really pleased he's a regular contributor for the mag.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:21 pm

mr jenzie wrote: *has another wee look*
DOUBLE HOLY CRAP MATCH DAY HAS HOW MANY PAGES!!!!!
I'm trying to figure out if this is a compliment or not :lol:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:38 pm

i was expecting a double page or even a single page, not a full blown six-page article ..... and as for your answer, that makes it SUPER AWESOME!!!

loved match day, just hearing that theme pip through the spectrum was enough to get me a-going :P

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:03 am

Just ordered. A lot to look forward to for me, the Resident Evil feature first and foremost, always like a feature on this excellent series and like the idea of a feature on how it inspired other Horror games.

I also like the look of that ET feature. Never thought this game deserved that Worst game ever title it seems to be stuck with, and looking forward to reading Howards take on it. He's done some cracker games for VCS and so there is no doubting his skills. So always good to hear his arguments for the game (and the obvious tight deadline to appease the Corporates) and the backstory to it.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:17 pm

Well done to Kieren for an excellent feature on Top Ten Hits. I can't remember this company back in the 80s, but the feature was well written and the people being interviewed seemed really happy to be giving an account of their time there.

It also reminded me of a game I'd long forgotten called Tank Commander on the XL, which was a game I really enjoyed playing many years ago. Btw have we ever had a Thorn EMI fetaure? That would be great.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

merman

Post by merman » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:02 pm

Agreed, Kieren's piece on Top Ten was great. Loved the Suda51 interview too.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:36 pm

I liked the piece on Top Ten, but I thought it overdid the praise for all their games, when a couple of them (e.g. Dawnssley) were proper stinkers.

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:56 pm

Speaking of Atari coverage, has anyone seen Excel magazine? It's an A4, full colour print/PDF mag that focuses on the Atari 8-bit. It's only £4.99 inc. postage, which is great value for such a niche topic.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:32 am

Had a chance to go through the issue now... really enjoyed the Suda51 interview, that's something a bit different :)

As for the SNES Minority Report, most of them are semi obscure (I own half of them!), and all were released in the West. Definitely agree with Run Saber. I would have perhaps included a few titles that were Japan only but accessible to the West, such as DoReMi Fantasy, Umihara Kawase, Violinist of Hamelin, Sanrio World Smash Ball, or Zig Zag Cat.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...