From The Forum issue 163 - Tomb Raider memories

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

NickThorpe

From The Forum issue 163 - Tomb Raider memories

Post by NickThorpe » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:13 pm

Hello chaps, chappettes and everything elsewhere and in-between! It's the "From the forum" time once again and this month I'd like to know about your memories of Tomb Raider - whether you loved the games, hated them, got into it 20 years ago or only tried out the series this year.

As usual, we'll print your answers off, stick them to children and make them play a game of musical chairs until we've whittled the field down to a sufficient number of answers to print, then print those.

bounty bob

Re: From The Forum issue 163 - Tomb Raider memories

Post by bounty bob » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:49 pm

Wasnt very keen on the game itself, but loved the mod that made her naked. The developers included a cheat code for Tomb Raider II but when you used it she blew up into bits so didn't realy play it after that.
Atari 800XL thrashes the C64 every time!!!
(well, nearly everytime)
(OK, some of the time)

RG_Drew

Post by RG_Drew » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:54 pm

I always remember how it was used in Spaced, where Tim (Simon Pegg) used it as an outlet of rage over his girlfriend leaving him… by the way of making Lara Croft repeatedly drown.

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXj9muy2gM4

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:51 pm

Tomb Raider III was the first Playstation game I played. I'd been using my Amigas since 1987, and when I got a Playstation in 1999 I put this on first. Me and my Brother were looking at the screen when the game started, with Lara on a grassy slope and we looked at each other and said "Is it on? Is that actually going to move?". I moved the stick and the whole screen spun round in real-time. We were impressed to say the least.

I've played eight TR games so far, and still enjoy them.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

RichL

Post by RichL » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:43 am

The T-Rex of course.

Or the bit with the poisonous arrows that if you followed the animal tracks in the snow they wouldn't hit you.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:26 am

I remember really enjoying it until I got hopelessly stuck on one of the later levels. And people think the Water Temple is hard!

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:34 pm

I went into my local Choices Video to buy Fighting Vipers for the Saturn, picked that up and then noticed the Tomb Raider box, thought it looked interesting, and having more disposable income back then bought that as well, loaded it up and absolutely loved it, especially how the beautiful score would kick in at various points, such as seeing a waterfall for the first time.

Didn't touch Fighting Vipers for days!

Fawltykog

Post by Fawltykog » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:29 pm

Hearing that beautiful theme tune kick in at apt moments in the first Tomb Raider game always and still does send a chill up my spine.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:30 pm

Seeing an enormous edifice in front of you and realising it wasn't just background scenery - there was a way to get to the top... if you could find it.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:15 pm

was trying to remember if i played the demo for the first one on my sega saturn .....
AND I DID :D

thanks to KARRI at tombraiderforums

and here it is moving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTCf5VSUKpI

played it quite a bit too

but never really got into it until LEGEND, which i REALLY REALLY enjoyed (and now i kinda actually MISS it)

played the reboot but got bored trying to find a freaking STICK and bloody wolves, but recently started playing PROPHECY again on *ahem* emulation :oops:

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:07 am

I remember picking up the original and really enjoying it but was i ever rubbish at it. I could never get past the fourth level despite having beaten the final one at a friends house.

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:19 am

Looking down at the endless set of stairs and platforms in the St.Francis' Folly level when playing the first Tomb Raider, and just thinking "wow."

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:15 am

Loved the game up until TR III, then lost it's way for a while.
I first stumbled upon the demo on the magazine cover disc. It seemed okay, but not great. But with rave reviews coming out opted to buy the game for the PS1. And wow. The exploration aspect just had me hooked. The second game tweaked it and made it brilliant, but after that it all got a bit average.
The Relaunch on the 360 made me fan again :)

skinny

Post by skinny » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:40 am

I remember playing the PC demo levels first and just thinking how different it was. Then I had the original one on Playstation, played it to the end and did the same with Tomb 2. I remember there were some points where the camera pulled back to show how huge an area you were in, and you just thought 'Wow!'

SpecTrePaul

Post by SpecTrePaul » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:42 pm

Never really been a big fan of Tomb Raider although it was a groundbreaking game at the time on the PS1.
I know not everyone will agree but even though I queued up at midnight on the PS1 release date to get my machine, I don't really see it as a retro machine, not old enough :?

Retro for me is Spectrum, C64, Amiga, Snes, etc :wink: