Let's have a Christmas themed cover... Please!

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Let's have a Christmas themed cover... Please

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:06 pm

No one ever said it was too difficult to create a Christmas cover. It's mainly about interest.

The last time we did a Christmas cover it was the worst selling issue of the year (I will double check when I am back at work just to make sure). Sales have increased dramatically overseas since we first started doing Christmas covers and they always drop off when they arrive a month or two later overseas. Then there's the fact that Oliver Frey covers also struggle in that market, possibly because those same overseas readers didn't have access to his awesome art, so there's no attached nostalgia. It could be that it was just the wrong art. I also think timing is more critical now, too.

As a general rule If something doesn't sell well we tend to not repeat them in the future, it's why there's been a sharp drop off in 8-bit home computer covers over the past few years. I have my theories on why this would be, but we can maybe discuss that another time. I've noticed that magpie has just done a Christmas cover, so I will be checking its sales when I get the chance.

Personally, I just feel that the time has passed on Christmas covers because they were tied to a very specific time and our readership appears to be moving on. It's clear that there is interest in Christmas covers (I love them myself) but you have to remember that RG is a niche commercial mag and it's just not a good time to take risks. It's also worth noting that we've done all the coolest Oli covers from that period, and I'm unsure how well a completely new cover would go down. We could look at potentially doing a subs only copy next year, which would probably solve some of the issues, but as we've been getting complaints about ads I'm not even sure if that is an option (it costs additional money to create additional covers).

Hopefully the above gives a little more insight into why we don't do festive covers. Would you pick up a Christmas cover in February? I wouldn't.

Mick Farrow

Re: Let's have a Christmas themed cover... Please!

Post by Mick Farrow » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:54 pm

Ok, how about just a bit of snow on the logo then? It often snows in February!
My Remakes - HUNCHBACK, JETPAC, TRANZ AM, RAMBO, DONKEY KONG, ATIC ATAC.

RichL

Post by RichL » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:57 pm

That makes total sense Darran when you put it like that.

JackBurton-Me

Post by JackBurton-Me » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:17 am

Makes sense.

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:26 am

Now that you revealed the market research , it's can't be argued , I fully get the time, place and era and you are correct that those days have being and gone, maybe you cosier sticking a xmas bonus in the Xmas issues from here out, like a pull 9ut poster, this would be the same dimensions of a two page spread within the magazine, folk could say have a montage of issues covers or a montage of video game characters from all platforms?
↓↓Click Link to See More
http://www.greyfoxbooks.com

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:44 am

Would it be possible to do a lighthearted feature on games mags that had festive covers in years gone by? Even if it was just a small selection so we can get all misty eyed over our childhoods!!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

RichL

Post by RichL » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:38 am

greenberet79 wrote:Would it be possible to do a lighthearted feature on games mags that had festive covers in years gone by? Even if it was just a small selection so we can get all misty eyed over our childhoods!!
Think they've done that not 100% sure though as I was going to ask the same thing.

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:38 pm

Not to my knowledge. We've seen a few Christmas game features, but little in the way of magazine coverage (Back to the 80s/90s and the odd Newsfield feature excepted).

Defunct Gamer published a video on Christmas magazine covers last year that may be of interest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5Cqk1U4Ub0

Let's compromise by having a Dizzy cover for the Easter edition... Actually, forget Easter. Any month would be good for a Dizzy cover.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:13 am

knight_beat wrote: Let's compromise by having a Dizzy cover for the Easter edition... Actually, forget Easter. Any month would be good for a Dizzy cover.
If I thought a Dizzy cover would sell I'd pitch it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, I don't feel there's a global audience for it. A shame, as I love Dizzy.