Let's have a Christmas themed cover... Please!

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

PostieDoc

Re: Let's have a Christmas themed cover... Please!

Post by PostieDoc » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:09 am

It could come with a mince pie taped to the front.

3fruits

Post by 3fruits » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:05 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Sorry, but there's no Christmas cover this year.
Our issue falls on either the 30th of November, or the 29th of December, so we're either nowhere near Christmas, or we miss it completely.
I know there are some of you who enjoy the Christmas covers (I always enjoy seeing myself on Oli's covers) but there won't be one this year.
Sorry, everyone.

There's no reason not to have one other magazines manage it. Alot of us have been asking for a few years. Most home magazines come out way before Xmas and manage it some doing it in October's issues.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:28 pm

3fruits wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Sorry, but there's no Christmas cover this year.
Our issue falls on either the 30th of November, or the 29th of December, so we're either nowhere near Christmas, or we miss it completely.
I know there are some of you who enjoy the Christmas covers (I always enjoy seeing myself on Oli's covers) but there won't be one this year.
Sorry, everyone.

There's no reason not to have one other magazines manage it. Alot of us have been asking for a few years. Most home magazines come out way before Xmas and manage it some doing it in October's issues.
indeed, it's a pathetic excuse.

The 30th of November is the perfect date as it means it will be on the shelves all through December with a lovely Christmas cover.

I've been into Manchester centre today and Christmas is everywhere already, for a monthly magazine I'd say late November/very early December is about as good as you can get for the Christmas period.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:06 pm

Calling the decision pathetic certainly isn't going to change my mind anytime soon @halcyondaze
Maybe next year...

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:24 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Maybe next year...
I'm sure you say that every year.
Out of interest when was the last Christmas cover? Was it the Oliver Frey one with the alien and the RG team (that was an old Crash one), or has there been one since then. At my age, memory fades you know.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:31 pm

ianpmarks wrote:
Out of interest when was the last Christmas cover? Was it the Oliver Frey one with the alien and the RG team (that was an old Crash one), or has there been one since then. At my age, memory fades you know.
That was the last one, yes.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:33 pm

Megamixer wrote:
ianpmarks wrote:
That was the last one, yes.
How long ago was that? Seems like a good few years.

russty_russ

Post by russty_russ » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:26 pm

From what I can see, issue 97 was the last one so about 5 years ago...
https://www.imagineshop.co.uk/magazines ... ue-97.html

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:31 pm

There's no way to beat the snowy Nights cover, as far as I'm concerned. I have no idea how it was done (spray-on glitter? :? ), but the raised texture effect was a welcome surprise.

russty_russ

Post by russty_russ » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:41 pm

Do you remember the cover that was like an advent calendar with 24 doors to open... that was clever :-)

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:03 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Calling the decision pathetic certainly isn't going to change my mind anytime soon @halcyondaze
Maybe next year...
it was the excuse I called pathetic @daren, which it is, and I didn't expect to change your mind.

yeah, maybe next year you will move the issue date to 7th Dec because that will make all the difference :roll:

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:17 am

Congratulations Halcyon Daze, your sarcasm has caused this thread to be locked. Well done you.
Sorry you find our reasons pathetic. We've explained it and that's all there is to it. The irony of course is that your typically sarcastic response makes us even less inclined to do anything like this in the future. So well done.

Thread reopened.

JackBurton-Me

Post by JackBurton-Me » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:11 pm

Thanks Darren for unlocking.

Ok, I think the reason I and others really would like to see a festive cover and some festive content at this time of year because so many retro memories around gaming are tied up with Christmas. Can't believe it's been 5 years since the Oli Frey cover.

RichL

Post by RichL » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:31 pm

Nobody does Christmas covers anymore think it's a ship that's sailed.

Good Housekeeping probably does mind you.

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:53 pm

No, I totally disagree with that..it's a fun time to be merry and good will to all and I still believe a visual aid of such on the cover of a magazine is very welcome , it's not that difficult to do an xmas cover for the magazine , so I don't understand why it's being drafted as such a task, simply pick a game that has a xmas theme and use that on the cover or make one, seems the art department may not be up to the task ? There is a ton of stuff existing cover video games in a xmas theme, get your ar$es to DeviantArt and help support a budding artist exclusively to create an image for an xmas issue

But I believe that xmas covers are a celebration of the merry time of Christmas and a signature of the end of that year which that in its own is a huge achievement for the magazine as a whole staying alI've for another year.
↓↓Click Link to See More
[url=http://www.greyfoxbooks.com[/url]