From The Forum issue 162 - Retro Gaming Woes

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

deKay

Re: From The Forum issue 162 - Retro Gaming Woes

Post by deKay » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:56 pm

The constant worry that one of my machines in the loft will have died in its sleep. Had a ZX81, a Speccy and a Game Gear all succumb to Death By Play Deprivation.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:59 pm

I've got 4 C64's in my workshop/den and I think the last of them tripped out the electrics yesterday... The death of a machine is a woe indeed!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

mlucifersam

Post by mlucifersam » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:32 am

Yeah mine is the worry that if I use a real machine, should that machine go wrong, I can't pop to "Jolly Jeff's Computer Games Shop" in town to go and get it fixed.

I had a IDE card interface for a Spectrum +3 that the maker had given me at a Play Expo as a thanks as he played some of my games when he was a kid. It was sitting there in a box for 3 years until I did some research and actually worked out what it was. When I finally worked up the bottle to ty and install it in my working +3 I did it wrong and promptly blew up the PSU and probably the machine itself. There was a smashing glass noise and a plume of smoke erupted from the PSU. So now it's sitting on shelf not working!

And Spectrum +2a/b/3 PSU's weren't built to last 30 years anyway.
Mark R. Jones

Ocean Software Ltd FB page: http://www.facebook.com/OceanSoftwareLtd
Ultimate Play The Game FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ultimateptg

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:34 am

Since becoming a father, the fact that I simply don't have enough time to retro game - so I have an entire wall full of games that I haven't played yet! Can't wait until my boys are old enough to be able to get them to help start working through the wall.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:18 pm

That Nintendo used cardboard boxes for so long. Yes they looked good new, but it makes finding a complete one difficult and expensive nowadays.

lavalyte

Post by lavalyte » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:47 am

Finding LCD TVs in Australia with RGB Scart inputs. I want a small, light TV I can put on my table but with the best picture the old consoles can manage.
'I have nothing but the greatest respect for other peoples' crackpot beliefs' - Sam The Eagle.

lavalyte

Post by lavalyte » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:49 am

I miss the fun of going to markets and routinely finding interesting bits and pieces. There just isn't that much retro stuff floating around anymore, it's all painfully priced and all the good stuff goes too early in the morning.
'I have nothing but the greatest respect for other peoples' crackpot beliefs' - Sam The Eagle.

lavalyte

Post by lavalyte » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:51 am

The rolling price increases that EBay has enabled, where everything is price + postage, making the next seller sell at price + postage + postage.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:21 pm

lavalyte wrote:I miss the fun of going to markets and routinely finding interesting bits and pieces. There just isn't that much retro stuff floating around anymore, it's all painfully priced and all the good stuff goes too early in the morning.
Yes, that is really it for me- The enjoyment you used to get seeing a great little buy of a machine or game you used to love or never got and wanted in a second hand store, garage sale or market. The good thing about the internet is you can usually find exactly what you want while sitting with a coffee. The bad thing is it comes at a price! :) The collecting part is not really fun anymore, it's too expensive.
Still, many of our local Pawn shops etc have more 'recent retro' still at cheap prices. So I guess if you're in the market to make dosh that market will get more scarce and increase in price. The problem there is we'll be too old n knackered to enjoy the profits when they do kick in :lol:

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:24 am

It would appear that now collecting retro is no longer a niche thing anymore and is now very mainstream!