From The Forum issue 162 - Retro Gaming Woes

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

NickThorpe

From The Forum issue 162 - Retro Gaming Woes

Post by NickThorpe » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:27 am

Hello all! I have come from the Future (oho!) to do my monthly duty of asking you lucky lot a question. This month: what are your biggest retro gaming bugbears? Whether it's how terribly modern TVs handle old consoles, the constantly rising price of SNES games, or even the fact that nobody has released a good Xbox emulator yet, we're giving you the opportunity to moan to your heart's content.

Answers will be placed on a crowded boat, and the ones that aren't tossed overboard will make it into the mag.

ianpmarks

Re: From The Forum issue 162 - Retro Gaming Woes

Post by ianpmarks » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:00 am

The cost.
Fifteen years ago my Vectrex cost me £2 from a jumble sale, my Apple Mac 128k £10 from a local paper ad, and my boxed Colecovision £1 from the local tip. Nowadays I'd need a loan to buy them.
Recently I was trying to buy a SNES to replace one I had bought and then sold in the mid-00's... my goodness how times and prices have changed. Increasing rarity I suppose, but it doesn't help my wallet.
Last edited by ianpmarks on Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

bounty bob

Post by bounty bob » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:07 am

How my favourite magazine doesn't have enough retro articles for my taste and concentrates on newer models. I've written a letter to the editor of Playboy but they just advised me to get Gilf monthly instead.
Atari 800XL thrashes the C64 every time!!!
(well, nearly everytime)
(OK, some of the time)

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:26 am

For me its the fact that emulation is a double-edged sword: on the one hand you have at your disposal a library of games to play at any time often almost perfectly well, but on the other it totally takes away the necessity and charm of having the original computer and its peripherals to fully appreciate the experience.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:50 am

ncf1 wrote:For me its the fact that emulation is a double-edged sword: on the one hand you have at your disposal a library of games to play at any time often almost perfectly well, but on the other it totally takes away the necessity and charm of having the original computer and its peripherals to fully appreciate the experience.
But emulation is not 100% and most emulation is poor. I know a lot people here claim emulation is Nigh on oerfect and maybe to the untrained eye it is.. Had my chipped X box running PC Engine Magical Chase next to my PC Engine running the original cart of Magical chase.. My 4 friends and I all agreed the emulation was terrible music sounded like a darlek - slow, laggy & lots of flicker game crashed after the first level.. Other than for Mame and 8 bits emulation is generally terrible.. Wii Emulation is very good especially for older consoles but other than X Box, Wii as those emulators are constantly tweaked and improved and cost less and have far better emulation then tablets..

bug bears people who act that emulation on some cheap android device is like the equivalent of Jesus turning up unannounced at the sea of galiry..

Paper champions who credit feed hard 2d games and say it was to easy!! Even a monkey could complete Metal Slug with infinite credits .. Then the same people slate the same games as impossible when the option to credit feed is removed! It may be impossible to you but look at all the 1 life replays on you tube..

The lack of scrolling fighters and Sega not giving the Streets of Rage remake an official release as well as forcing bombergames to pull it
Last edited by Shinobi on Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:29 pm

Companies like Codemasters that refuse to let 30-year old games be available for free download and emulation - when many other companies do. And Nintendo going after emulators and fan-remakes of their old games.

They make the same excuse that Disney did when they sued kindergartens in the US for painting Mickey Mouse on the wall - that if they're seen not to protect even one tiny part of their Intellectual Property then they could lose legal protection of all of it. It's a complete lie, because they could perfectly easily announce free licensing under specific circumstances. (As Universal Studios and Hanna-Barbera did for the very same daycare centres that Disney threatened with court action).

And these problems are already being compounded for the future, by games that only work with an on-line presence and are effectively useless when the servers are taken down. With the servers remaining proprietary these things are lost forever. Imagine the reaction if the next generation of TVs made it impossible to watch black & white movies anymore?

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:44 pm

I was reading a RG issue from 2006 just a couple of weeks ago, and was astonished by the quotations of the time, e.g. 20-30£ for an Amiga 1200. If I could teleport for a few days to ten years ago, now I'd have my house full of Commodore and Amiga computers and hardware. And I'd be quite rich on the side, too.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:08 pm

I'm in a constant state of worry about the batteries in my SNES carts exploding.

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:40 pm

Anyone who plays retro games in the wrong aspect ratio!

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:25 pm

Being a poor student, definitely the poor use of Virtual Console by Nintendo lately. What a wasted opportunity!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:46 pm

The cost! Lots of Mega Drive, PS1, Saturn and GBA titles I'd like but prices are simply daft these days unless you're very well off, have loads of disposable or live dangerously on credit cards.

That and Sega Saturn conversions to modern digital services still not being a "thing". I'd pay good money to download stuff like Panzer Dragoon Saga, Burning Rangers and Fighters Megamix on PSN but it remains a mere fantasy.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:07 am

There's two major ones for me- The cost of course, and greedy arse scalpers inflating the costs. It's supposed to be fun. I used to enjoy finding Nintendo G&Ws to collect in op shops for a few bucks. The internet has inflated some things to stupid prices.
The other one is the lack of a really decent, ITunes style store for all gaming. Until this happens it remains a bit messy and legally suspect to get all the games you'd want under one system. Hacking a system is complicated for many, and certainly does not give the original creators fair credit financially for their works. There is a market for such a system. Gamegadget and Blaze had the right idea...just badly organised

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:54 am

Light guns! I'd love to be able to play Time Crisis 1 + 2 on my new tv but alas it is currently impossible :( I would definitely get behind a kickstarter for a magic box that would allow lightguns to work on a modern TV :mrgreen:

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:41 pm

Cost, it seems that if someone has a game for sale and it happens to be over a certain age then there are tons of people that want it. I have lost track of the number of times that someone has said they have found a bargain game in a store near me and now its up for sale at full price.

I'm the first to say that if we didn't have popularity, we wouldn't have events, or the magazine etc, but sometimes the hobby seems to be a race against scalpers

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:38 am

Used games being a pain for quality. Ive bought games second hand in the past that look good quality with no scratches etc.... But they do not load or judder. Hate that with a passion.

PSN username - MartinPhantom