From The Forum issue 161 - Redesigned hardware

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

NickThorpe

From The Forum issue 161 - Redesigned hardware

Post by NickThorpe » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:53 am

Who forgot to do From The Forum this month? That bloke Nick. But it's okay, because we have time to get your brainwaves converted to textual transmissions anyway! So tell me, retro-chums: what are your thoughts on redesigned hardware? Are you the sort of person who has to have the original model of everything, or do you find yourself drawn to the typically smaller later models? Do you go for the model you grew up with, or the one with the best features?

As usual, some of your answers will appear in the magazine, as chosen by Jen (as in "Random Number Jenerator" - she had cruel parents).

On a personal level, I choose based on function - I try to get whichever model has the most desirable features, accounting for reliability and such as well. Having said that, I'll always think of the Atari 2600 Jr and Master System II when I think of those platforms, as they were the models I grew up with.

RetroBob

Re: From The Forum issue 161 - Redesigned hardware

Post by RetroBob » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:14 am

I'm ok with it in principle: modern redesigns have increased specs though if you look back to the Mega Drive II, the sound was not as good as MD I models.

The GameBoy Pocket was an improvement on the original, likewise the GameBoy Advance SP over the original.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

merman

Post by merman » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:05 pm

I held off buyng a DS until the Lite version arrived. Seems that new hardware is almost certain to go through a redesign. But then I prefer the chunky original PS1 and PS2 to the smaller later models...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:32 pm

Depends really. If it improves on the original - like the DS or Gameboy then I'd rather have the redesign.
If it's just a different design, like with the 2600jr or the Megadrive 2, or the Spectrum + etc, then I'd rather have the original.

I mean who in their right minds would want black plastic over wood effect.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:46 pm

No sentimentalism for me, give me the one that functions best and has best features, I want my games to look, play, and sound the best they possibly can.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:54 pm

First comes "brand identity"; anything retro is affected by this and this should be the thing most typical for the brand. Like the original PS2 and PS1, the original ZX Spectrum and breadbin C= 64.
Next up is functionality and features; which is for new items or old items being used actively. So I'm getting my A4000 fixed and want a new FPGA next-gen Amiga. And if I get a PS4 it will be a Neo.
Lastly it is aesthetics. Which is why I still want an A1000. I think it looks gorgeous, but it would need something like a Vampire to be usable...

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:28 pm

The best one for me will always be the Lynx II, not only was it smaller but it also had much better battery life, a backlight button, easier to access card slot, hand grips and numerous other design improvements.

I also think the XE machines look lovely and are a great improvement looks wise over the original machines (to match the ST), just a shame they moved the cart slot to the back.

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:06 pm

The Laird wrote:I also think the XE machines look lovely and are a great improvement looks wise over the original machines (to match the ST), just a shame they moved the cart slot to the back.
They do look better than the XL Series, you are right. Nothing however looks as good as the original Atari 400 and 800, they are just beautiful machines.

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:31 pm

The original versions for me, which just happen to be the ones I had. I re-bought a C64 (original case), original 1541 drive, VCS (6 switch Woody), and I have my original Kickstart 1.2 A500 (not that modern 1.3 version). I did get a C64c, but that was as an extra one. I also got the proper 48k Spectrum with the rubber keys, as the others aren't Spectrums.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:38 pm

In most cases, the original machines simply look better. Playstation 2, Mega CD, SNES etc. all looked much cooler before they were re-designed. Obviously there are some exceptions such as the DSLite and Xbox 360 Slim but for the most part, I personally view re-designs as cheaper and not necessarily as solidly-built which I think is a fair comment given how redesigns tend to be made of cheaper materials to get the cost down.

If a newer model is capable of more functions without losing anything then obviously, it's worth considering. Aesthetically though, it has to be the originals. Compare the MD + MCD + 32X "stack" with the MDII equivalent set-up and uglier top-loading MCDII!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:48 am

It really does depend on whether the redesign makes a significant improvement or not. With the Segas, I will always prefer the SMS and MD originals over the new ones, back with the C64 I liked the new design. The Atari Lynx II was much better than the original, and I preferred the original PS to the PS1 slim.
I prefer the 360 slim to the original 360...hmm this could go on for ages :lol: I judge it console by console :)

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:02 am

As long as the re-designed hardware is official and doesn't compromise on features or build quality, I'm all for it. Its still a far better experience than having to emulate. If its a third-party knock off like some of the Sega and Atari ones have been recently, then I wouldn't touch it.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:11 am

I've never rebought hardware due a redesign, so in most cases I've stuck with the original version such as C64, PS1, PS2 and Nintendo DS. I have the later models for Microsoft consoles, but that's because I originally held off buying them and then jumped in with the new look (Elite 360 and Xbox One S).
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:57 am

I am more concerned with reliability of the console/computer when getting a redesign, sometimes smaller does not mean better. I would think things that get smaller are more prone to overheating. In principle though I am all for it if it extends the life and games creation for a console/era. The GBA SP though was awesome over the GBA, I felt the pocket though was a step too far.....(too small)
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

bounty bob

Post by bounty bob » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:56 pm

Just a corporate way of making more money out of us paying customers from old hardware. Phone companieshave been doing the same thing since smart phones came to prominence, adding a couple of extra things to not much improvement. So I don't buy into that rhetoric.
Atari 800XL thrashes the C64 every time!!!
(well, nearly everytime)
(OK, some of the time)