Retro Gamer - Issue 160

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

PostieDoc

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 160

Post by PostieDoc » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:08 pm

I enjoyed the Hit Squad article but a regular Retro Gamer problem popped up while I was reading. The first couple of pages were white writing on a dark blue background which I could read reasonably well.
Then I turned over and the white writing was either light blue or more of a dirty, smudged white, I can't tell as I am colourblind and it made reading the rest of the article bloody hard work.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:53 pm

PostieDoc wrote:I enjoyed the Hit Squad article but a regular Retro Gamer problem popped up while I was reading. The first couple of pages were white writing on a dark blue background which I could read reasonably well.
Then I turned over and the white writing was either light blue or more of a dirty, smudged white, I can't tell as I am colourblind and it made reading the rest of the article bloody hard work.
Yep, it's a blurry mess. I can only assume it's the crappy paper its printed on. Take page 31 for example, those green tubes with white text, the left of the tube is fine, the right needs a squint to read it.

I know I bang on about this but what's the point of well written articles, with great art and design utterly ruined by beIng printed on sh*te paper - it really spoils it for me.

The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Igorthegreen

Post by Igorthegreen » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:23 pm

Exciting! The ad of my 8-BIT KIDS book should be in it :D
Join my '8-BIT KIDS' book Kickstarter at http://tinyurl.com/c64club

Sokurah

Post by Sokurah » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:52 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:Yep, it's a blurry mess. I can only assume it's the crappy paper its printed on. Take page 31 for example, those green tubes with white text, the left of the tube is fine, the right needs a squint to read it.

I know I bang on about this but what's the point of well written articles, with great art and design utterly ruined by beIng printed on sh*te paper - it really spoils it for me.
It's not just you - I've mentioned it before too. It's not the paper - it's an ambitious but useless layouter (PS. I work in IT for a publishing house - this is not terra incognita for me). :wink:
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware for PC & Mac.
Twitter: Sokurah

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:04 am

Mine always looks like the paper got wet and then dried. It's worse on pages with dark backgrounds but it seems to have a vertical ripple effect, especially if you look at it from an angle
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:20 am

When I complained about this a few issues back, I was told to go to specsavers. Glad it isn't just me!

I just wish they would stop printing articles on full colour backgrounds - especially Spectrum articles which are almost always black and that always leaves smudges on my fingers. Is this web design creeping in? What's wrong with printing on a plain white page?

Anyway, I'm just moaning. Looking forward to reading this issue!

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:57 am

Perhaps Future will use the same good paper they have for EDGE. One can but hope.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:29 am

Well I want to get a digital sub soon, which I'm hoping will be better? Space and freight costs make investing in an e reader a good idea for me, but the added bonus I'm hoping is a better easier read :)

bounty bob

Post by bounty bob » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:07 am

After seeing the picture and what some people have said about the cover, thought I would hate it. However even though I'm not a big Mario fan, I think the cover is awesome and one of the best for a while. Now I just need to find some time to read the damn thing before sticking it on top of the last 80 issues while I wait for binders to come available again.
Atari 800XL thrashes the C64 every time!!!
(well, nearly everytime)
(OK, some of the time)

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:33 pm

Cover is quite good - does the job.
Looks to be quite a good issue, and for me more interesting than last months.

On the readability issue I've said for a while that RG is becoming quite hard to read. Small fonts and bizarre colour choices don't help. I subscribe to four other magazines, and even wearing my new reading glasses RG is by far the magazine that gives me most trouble to read.

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:38 pm

greenberet79 wrote:Ah, thought the Gamecube would be front cover, disappointed!
Who wants a mag with a purple console on the cover? They want to sell a few issues, y'know! :)

(knight_beat glances guiltily at the complete set of NGC & CUBE magazines in the corner)

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:20 pm

Loving what's inside, not what's on the outside, understanding the icon on the cover, but it's not working for me, possible a render would have worked better, rather than a snapshot taking up the entire front cover or the iconic end battle between Bowser and Mario instead, lots of reference material could of been utilised. Use of the screens with content reference was clever, not being a real fan of n64 I respect what was done here, just isn't rocking my boat. But still memorable moment to this day was poor Dave Perry being scammed on Games Master with Mario64 lol.

Will pick this up Thursday to grab the content :idea:
↓↓Click Link to See More
http://www.greyfoxbooks.com

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:04 am

Never too bothered about the cover, its whats inside that counts :D but if it brings in readership and folks buying the mag, then keep at it.

Love the hit squad article, how about a kixx one in the future!
WANTED: ANY SNES or GAMEBOY GAMES, OR EMPTY BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS, going for FULL SETS of both.

merman

Post by merman » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:32 am

bensonrad wrote:Never too bothered about the cover, its whats inside that counts :D but if it brings in readership and folks buying the mag, then keep at it.

Love the hit squad article, how about a kixx one in the future!

I'll pitch it... Enjoyed Martyn's Hit Squad article, learnt a lot about Beyond Games and loved the two Making Ofs (Marauder and Frostbite).
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:42 am

I like the Gamecube feature (been waiting for one for a long time!) BUT... I would have loved a breakout on a selection of lesser known games... stuff like Freedom Fighters, Timesplitters, Viewtiful Joe.

Hmm, thinking about it - maybe all the classics (even lesser classics) are already known.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."