Issue 159 awesome cover

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

paranoid marvin

Re: Issue 159 awesome cover

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:35 pm

Hall of the Things was brill, so was the Codies article.

Thought the NES feature was VERY odd. A sizeable article featuring lots of games, but with plenty of 'what ifs' and 'maybes' as to how they will play or whether original bugs will be fixed. It was basically a rundown of the games that would be appearing on the machine. Surely it would have been better to just list the titles, then when the machine is released to review it and tell us how the games play?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:28 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Thought the NES feature was VERY odd. A sizeable article featuring lots of games, but with plenty of 'what ifs' and 'maybes' as to how they will play or whether original bugs will be fixed. It was basically a rundown of the games that would be appearing on the machine. Surely it would have been better to just list the titles, then when the machine is released to review it and tell us how the games play?
I've got one pre-ordered, and found that article really insightful - has definitely wet my tastebuds for a few of the non-Nintendo developed games on there. Just listing the games wouldn't have made it any different from Nintendo's NES-classic mini site.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:02 pm

antsbull wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:Thought the NES feature was VERY odd. A sizeable article featuring lots of games, but with plenty of 'what ifs' and 'maybes' as to how they will play or whether original bugs will be fixed. It was basically a rundown of the games that would be appearing on the machine. Surely it would have been better to just list the titles, then when the machine is released to review it and tell us how the games play?
I've got one pre-ordered, and found that article really insightful - has definitely wet my tastebuds for a few of the non-Nintendo developed games on there. Just listing the games wouldn't have made it any different from Nintendo's NES-classic mini site.
But would you not rather read a feature that told you what the games were like and how well they play on the mini-NES?

A small feature with a maximum of a page would have sufficed to tell us about the machine and what games would be appearing. Then a six page review detailing how well the games play once it's been released. As it is , it seemed to me more like a Nintendo ad for the machine than a feature.

But that's just my opinion. If others found it informative, then fair enough! :D
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:37 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
antsbull wrote:
But would you not rather read a feature that told you what the games were like and how well they play on the mini-NES?

A small feature with a maximum of a page would have sufficed to tell us about the machine and what games would be appearing. Then a six page review detailing how well the games play once it's been released. As it is , it seemed to me more like a Nintendo ad for the machine than a feature.

But that's just my opinion. If others found it informative, then fair enough! :D
I hadn't bothered to look at the less well known games on the mini classic, and article did get me interested in them and looking forwards to them, so I found it worthwhile being in there.

It's probably a reflection that I am a Nintendo fanboy (not exclusively though!), so I'm probably biased. I have read about 70% of the issue now (and think its a pretty good one), but just can't bring myself to read the Crash Bandicoot article yet - theres probably a lot of people who are the complete opposite to that.

Jeremiah Jones

Post by Jeremiah Jones » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:22 pm

Wasn't there supposed to be a Metroid feature in this issue? The previous issue's "next month" page had a pic of NES era Samus below the heading "METROID MANIA"

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:33 am

Finally got the time to finish this. Not entirely sure about the cover, but generally a "plus" issue; I'm not complaining.