From The Forum Issue 160 - Gamecube

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TheDude18

Re: From The Forum Issue 160 - Gamecube

Post by TheDude18 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:36 am

THE underrated console of any generation. All my mates had a PS2, yet once they played 'the kids' toy, they wanted one! Rogue Squadron is still stunning to play as is a list of exclusive titles, The joypad is bliss to use and the Panasonic version of the console is simply stunning.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:42 pm

Never mind the Nintendo IPs, my favourites were Rogue Squadron and Resident Evil. The first game really made me feel like I was taking part in a massive space dogfight, and the unlockables were great fun. I knew the original Resident Evil like the back of my hand so thought I'd breeze through the GC version, only to be very quickly proven wrong. Those Crimson Heads were an inspired addition and completely changed the way you had to approach the game.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:44 pm

wow 15 years. a Canadian colleague bought me one over before the official UK release with star wars and luigis mansion, it absolutely blew me away (the consoles were so small, even boxed he had about four in his luggage to flog to people at work) and they were dirt cheap to boot, about £100.

eventually I flogged the ntsc one with the games (ended up making money somehow) and bought a UK version on release day - I still have this boxed and i'll never sell it (it's worth pennies now probably anyway)

still gets some play with the kids - Mario party and monkey ball mainly.

so that's my memory - cheap, tiny, powerful and awesome. also like a lot of Nintendo consoles it worked no matter how many times it got dropped, which unfortunately happened quite a bit.... just a quick message to close the lid and back into the game - no fuss!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:23 pm

Also can't forget holding down different buttons on boot-up to make different, weird variations on the regular start-up jingle! My PS4 can't do that :lol:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:00 am

happily playing monkey target on super monkey ball by myself and then slowly drawing in each curious member of my family to play until we had some epic four player games.....

I will never forget that....

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:53 am

Playing Eternal Darkness, the screen going black and apparently switching to AV channel while I could hear my character being attacked and I desperately tried to change the channel back, before realizing it was one of the games sanity effects.

That and inventing the 'Goldeen suicide' rule on Super Smash Bros. Melee, where if at any point anyone used a pokeball and it contained a Goldeen, which is completely harmless and useless, everyone had to immediately throw their character off the stage as if it were a smart bomb.