From The Forum Issue 160 - Gamecube

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

NickThorpe

From The Forum Issue 160 - Gamecube

Post by NickThorpe » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:28 am

Ahoy, friends! I am here to once again humbly request your insight, wisdom and memories for printing on the page of letters ("Mailbag"). This month, we'd like your memories of the Nintendo Gamecube, a system which is unbelievably 15 years old already.

As usual, a selection of your answers will be exposed to a Jeff Minter lightsynth, and the ones that are still conscious at the end will go into the magazine.

theantmeister

Re: From The Forum Issue 160 - Gamecube

Post by theantmeister » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:40 am

I've just finished my first play through of Eternal Darkness as an anniversary celebration. What a game and what a console!

I bought my Japanese Gamecube a week before the PAL launch. I'd actually gone out to buy a PS2, but I saw the 'Cube in the Video Game Centre in Salisbury running Rogue Squadron and I had to have it. I walked out with the console, Rogue Squadron and Luigi's Mansion. I eventually did buy a PS2, but I still like the Gamecube just that little bit more.

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:05 am

I got the Purple Gamecube on release day, with Rogue Squadron, I love the console.15 years later, I have 5 Gamecubes, Purple, Black, White, Silver and Orange, Gameboy Player, Wavebird controller and about 60 games. Mario Kart Double Dash is my favourite Mario Kart. 4 player Monkey Ball was amazing with all the mini games and 4 player NHL Hitz 2003 was one of my favourite games on the system. It was also the first time i played Tiger Woods golf, that was awesome on the Gamecube.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:17 am

Much like people's memories of the N64 with Goldeneye, for me the GC was my 007 system. Agent Under Fire, Nightfire, Everything or Nothing and From Russia With Love, all hugely enjoyable games that made me feel like Bond (we'll just gloss over the awful Rogue Agent that broke the run). EoN in particular is noteworthy, blending a mix of car chases and 3rd person action so it never gets dull, with high production values and that movie like presentation. If only all movie licences could be like this.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:34 am

I bought an import Japanese Cube from Lik-Sang (before they got "giant enemy crabbed" by Sony) with region toggle installed to switch it over to US settings, together with four pads, two 59 block memory cards (I already knew about having separate cards for US and Japanese saves), a US copy of Rogue Leader and a Japanese copy of Super Smash Bros. This would have been around November 2001 I imagine. When the Cube arrived, the switch didn't work, so it was stuck in US mode. So I asked Lik-Sang to send me a screw bit so I could take the case apart and fix it myself! Thankfully that proved a fairly simple operation.

In the meantime, waiting for the bit to arrive, I was hammering Rogue Leader to death. I hadn't played the N64 version at that point, so some of the mechanics were new to me, but what a game! Especially the battle at the second Death Star. Once the Cube was fixed, then it was time to unleash SSB and it was even better than the N64 version. Honestly, it's possibly the best version of SSB to date imo.

And from there, eventually, I ended up with every single US Cube game released, but that's a story for another time...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

merman

Post by merman » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:43 am

My GameCube was a Christmas present, and I still remember setting it up that Christmas afternoon.

So many great games, so many memories. Wind Waker, Super Mario Sunshine, the Donkey Konga games. Plus many more hours spent fuelling my Tony Hawk addiction.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:29 pm

Got mine purely for Pokemon Colosseum which I enjoyed but it ultimately turned out to be one of my least favourite games in my GC collection. Great memories of buying/receiving the likes of Tales of Symphonia, Paper Mario, Fire Emblem, Resi 4, F-Zero GX and countless other amazing titles when they were new releases.

I feel a bit bad for anybody wanting to get into the system today though! Used prices for the renowned games are ridiculous. Soooo glad I own or have played everything worth owning bar 1 or 2 titles.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:55 pm

The Gamecube was a system I missed out on, and when I finally made a secondhand purchase I was blown away at how good it was and wondered why it escaped my attention. I hate using the term as it has been terribly overused but I do think the Gamecube is an underrated system - alongside the Dreamcast, the most underrated in modern times.

stvd

Post by stvd » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:42 pm

Groundbreaking!

How many other consoles came with their own carry handle! :wink:

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:56 pm

A terrific system, and the first one I bought from that particular gen for one specific reason: The Resident Evil REmake, and the rest of the REs. Eternal Darkness is also another terrific dark game on a system often just written off as a 'Kiddy Console.' Love the controllers too. So many excellent games for this underrated system.
We still have this one in the cupboard, for the RE collection and the Multiplayer Mario games and Monkey Ball for a good games night :)

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:05 pm

Aside from the Wii U, this is my favourite Nintendo console.

Got it with Luigi's Mansion and Eternal Darkness, both of which were superb, the GC also has the only Zelda game I really enjoyed in Wind Waker.

The connectivity with the GBA was a bit of fun too.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:41 pm

Forgettable console. But it had Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance at least.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

davyK

Post by davyK » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:59 am

In some ways you can look at the Gamecube as a safe pair of hands to provide updates of established franchises but there were some quirky games and ideas that were introduced on the cube.

There's the bongo controllers with Donkey Konga but also the rather lovely DK Jungle Beat - how many platformers are there that are controlled by the bongo controller?

The microphone was introduced into the Mario Party series and while it isn't used that well there , it is used to interesting effect in Odama - a weird crossover between real time strategy and pinball set in ancient Japan.

Then there's the GBA linkup. It wasn't used all that well by many games - only offering downloads of mini-games in many cases - but some titles made extensive use of it. There's Zelda Four Swords and of course Pacman Vs which introduced the idea of asymmetric play. Given Nintendo seemed to back this idea rather heavily with the architecture of the Wii U you may not think that was such a good thing, but Pacman Vs is great game and a riot on multiplayer.

Then there's the Wavebird controller. We take wireless control for granted now but this felt magical back then and the batteries last for eons (and prevent Pacman Vs degenerating into a cats cradle of controller cables!)

And some franchises got started on GC. Monkey Ball and Pikmin are two examples. And it got some nice exclusives such as Eternal Darkness and Beach Spikers.

Oh - and there's the GBA player too.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:33 pm

The gamecube was a quiet stunner, that did not get the attention it deserved. In terms of great games the third parties released some gems - Rogue Leader, 6x Resident Evils, Eternal Darkness and four really good Bond games. Add to that Metroid Prime 1 and 2, and some great first party releases and its a console I fondly look back on.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:11 am

I got my black gamecube (the purple one seemed so garish at the time, but I actually quite like it now!) about a year or so after launch, and was a PS2 and Dreamcast owner at the time (I eventually acquired an Xbox many years later). I was definitely impressed by the unit itself, the very comfortable control pad, and the super cute optical discs (even if this did create another minor technical storage issue for Nintendo), and was sold on Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2's visuals and atmosphere.

Its not Nintendo's best home console, but its a solid one, with very impressive franchise upgrades to Zelda, Metroid and F-Zero. I felt we didn't quite get the Mario 64 sequel i was hoping for in Mario Sunshine (that would have to wait till Super Mario Galaxy), and Mario Kart Double Dash is one of my least memorable MK games. Wave Race, Starfox, 1080 on the Cube fell a bit short as well and a lack of Pilotwings, but this was somewhat offset by the amazing Resident Evil 4 (and REmake), Pikmin, Rogue Squadron and Smash Bros Melee. Not to everyones liking, but I also really enjoyed Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes - was a really nice 6th gen facelift.

For years though the Gamecube remained in the loft, as the Wii could do it all with full backwards compatibility, but then I bought a Gameboy Player in the last 18 months and its given the Cube a new lease of life (even if its for running 8-bit handheld games mainly!).