Poll: Most iconic figure

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Most iconic figure

Jack Tramiel
24%
Alan Sugar
3%
Sir Clive Sinclair
37%
Shigerhu Miyamoto
16%
Ralph Baer
3%
Nolan Bushnell
17%

Total votes: 63

will2097

Post by will2097 » Wed May 23, 2007 6:32 pm

I've been lucky enough to have worked with people who worked directly with Sir Clive (of Sinclair fame as opposed our Sir Clive)during the 70s, and they worked on the pocket calculator project and the pocket TV project with him and they genuinely didn't have a nice word to say about him. Some of it was actually pretty shocking about his personal life - which was for me something of a burst bubble. I worshipped the guy growing up because of the Sinclair thing obviously. Um. Well. If he burns in hell frankly - good.

Also Sir Clives attitude towards customers during his era was, putting it mildly, below par from what I understand. The whole pocket Calculator debacle was enough to knock him off my list. The speccy was a good machine, but there is nothing good in Clive.

So - Jack Tramiel (and his brother Sam) get my vote. A proper story of rags to riches. Touches a nerve. The ST was a 'hell' of a machine. Arrogance is not a crime. Goooooo SAM - I mean jack!

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Wed May 23, 2007 6:41 pm

FatTrucker wrote:
EvilArmourKing wrote:
FatTrucker wrote: Didn't he make motorcycles?.
What are you? Comedian or Country Bumpkin?

Never make jokes about people who have contributed more to life (Video Games specifically) than you're certainley ever likely too.

I'm sorry, but I won't accept people making comments like that about someone that should be held in higher esteem.

I'm ANGRY :twisted:
My apologies. I had no idea you were such a keen motorcyclist. :twisted:

On a more reaistic level though, games - certainly, but life?, lets keep some marginally credible perspective.
Sorry, I have now taken my medication and am much more relaxed about the whole thing now.

I also took my Kawasaki out for a spin to get some fresh air.

I was just fookin wit ya!
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

DanDare

Post by DanDare » Wed May 23, 2007 11:10 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
DanDare wrote:I'm finding this poll difficult to vote on. In terms of most recognisable then it's probably going to be Sir Alan Suger due to his television program, but when people look at him do they look at Sir Alan of Amstrad, Sir Alan of Tottenham Hotspur or Sir Alan off The Apprentice?
It'd have to be Amstrad Alan for the purpose of the poll. If you start considering what Joe Public thinks of these people, Sir Clive is forever tainted by the C5 to most of them. They'd have no clue about the rest - Shigwhat?
I agree.
FatTrucker wrote:
DanDare wrote:
FatTrucker wrote:Other iconic luminaries also found their way into the industry via Atari so its arguable without him there might have been no arcade industry, Apple Computers (which led to the birth of home micros and the PC) and games consoles.
I am never sure whether to agree with statements like that. If Bushnell had not have done what he did, then I am sure someone else would have come along and done it. It may have happened a little later, and it might not have happened exactly how it has happened, but I am sure it would have happened.
But no one else did, and at the time no-one else was doing it, so no Atari sees Steve Jobs designing missiles, no jobs sees no apple, no apple sees no home micro market...and so on and so forth.

I mentioned in the original post that at some point things may have happened anyway, but the industry would undoubtedly be a different shape. Bushnell was one of those rare instinctive entrepreneurs who invented an industry from scratch out of thin air, and had the vision and balls to take it forward starting from nothing with no template or precedent to base it on.

Who knows how long we might have had to wait until another person with that vision came along?. Christ we might only just be discovering Ghosts and Goblins and the ZX Spectrum. Afterall it was largely the drive in the games industry that moved other computer technology along, as is still the case.
Oh I don't disagree. Things would have been a lot different. Hence Bushnell's work should be applauded and he should be in the AIAS Hall of Fame.

I just think someone else would have taken that mantel had he not. Jobs might have designed missles, and Apple might not have existed, but then I am sure something else in its place would have. I think vision is something everyone possesses in some form. I just think a few select people decide to act on it.

But I think you're right. Hence my vote goes to Bushnell.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu May 24, 2007 4:27 am

will2097 wrote:I've been lucky enough to have worked with people who worked directly with Sir Clive (of Sinclair fame as opposed our Sir Clive)during the 70s, and they worked on the pocket calculator project and the pocket TV project with him and they genuinely didn't have a nice word to say about him. Some of it was actually pretty shocking about his personal life - which was for me something of a burst bubble. I worshipped the guy growing up because of the Sinclair thing obviously. Um. Well. If he burns in hell frankly - good.
Cant believe he was that evil to burn in hell ! Did he murder people or abuse kids ?!?

But yeah i get your point, some of the idols we have if we actually knew them i think so many times we would be disappointed. Eg someone trying to get an autograph off their favourite actor and then getting told where to go would shatter all that persons views.

I dont know much about him apart from odd clips i saw on tv, always saw him with a young bimbo in his later life which is funny, then again if i had tons of money i might go for the young bimbo when i'm 60 type of thing !

But yeah i'm sure if i read about him or heard stuff from employees etc i might realise what hes like. Then again i'm not that bothered, he made a computer i really liked and its about iconic figure not the dirt behind the scenes

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu May 24, 2007 7:28 am

there was a documentary about Sir Clive a while back. It certainly gave the impression he wasn't the spod he initially appears to be - allegedly he's a bit of a ladies man and has a real passion for gambling (he was shown playing poker iirc). I suppose being a millionaire helps, but he came across as an intelligent, witty bloke. Nobody becomes a manager to be liked...
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu May 24, 2007 7:37 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:there was a documentary about Sir Clive a while back. It certainly gave the impression he wasn't the spod he initially appears to be - allegedly he's a bit of a ladies man and has a real passion for gambling (he was shown playing poker iirc). I suppose being a millionaire helps, but he came across as an intelligent, witty bloke. Nobody becomes a manager to be liked...
I've seen him on late night poker on C4 before, I didn't watch it all though so I'm not sure how well he did.
Splink!

The Master

Post by The Master » Thu May 24, 2007 9:14 am

will2097 wrote:Some of it was actually pretty shocking about his personal life
Tell, tell!! :twisted:

khisanth

Post by khisanth » Thu May 24, 2007 11:21 am

Being an Amstrad fanboy I would usually say Alan Sugar, but Clive Sinclair for me is the most recognisable face and actually was involved with the design etc.

The names are obviously important people, but they didnt really make the headlines or get in the press much over here in the UK (from a childs perspective at least).

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Thu May 24, 2007 1:04 pm

Sir Clive Sinclair. :D

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu May 24, 2007 3:56 pm

OK, which joker said Alan Sugar????

Sir Clive is a genuine here of british computing and I for one salute him.

MikeHive

Post by MikeHive » Thu May 24, 2007 4:39 pm

Miyamoto, because if we're voting on iconic value... you ask any non-VG-playing layman about computer games and they will probably say "Super Mario." I bet you they won't say "Amstrad." Mario has been the face of gaming for decades.
Also, Shigsy plays the banjo. That makes him a GOD.
~Mike
www.bthive.co.uk :: Banjo Trilogy Hive

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu May 24, 2007 4:43 pm

MikeHive wrote:Miyamoto, because if we're voting on iconic value... you ask any non-VG-playing layman about computer games and they will probably say "Super Mario." I bet you they won't say "Amstrad." Mario has been the face of gaming for decades.
Also, Shigsy plays the banjo. That makes him a GOD.
Banjo Hero for Wii?
Please make it so!!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

OriginalJax

Post by OriginalJax » Thu May 24, 2007 5:37 pm

Late to the show - but I'd agree with that Fat Truck Driving Bloke - look at what Bushnell achieved! When Atari hit the big-time, they really hit it! At the time, weren't they the fastest growing company in history?

He did essentially create the industry, whether or not it was his intention for other people to join the party!

If it was a strictly UK-based poll, I'd agree that Sir Clive is pretty iconic, though, and is instantly recognizable by any of us (even non-Speccie-owners) who dabbled with computers/games in the 80s...

O-Jax
WTF!? The 80's are GONE!? And they're never coming BACK!?

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu May 24, 2007 5:49 pm

Bushnell demonstarted that gaming could be brought to the masses , and that videogames were big business

Sir C started the computer bug in British people , realising the fact that anyone and everyone could own their own home micro-computer

Miyamoto proved that video games could be an interactive artform

If any of these 3 individuals had taken alternatie career paths , I thnk that gamingtoday would have a very different look

Without Sir C , we may not have a PC in (virtually) every home

Without Bushnell , videogame systems may have been unrecognisable from what we have today

Without Miyamoto , there may be no Nintendo
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Elspuddy

Post by Elspuddy » Thu May 24, 2007 5:59 pm

Alan "insert quote from dwarn togeather when thay take the micky out of the apprentc here " Sugar for me,
btw isent it Sir Alan Sugar now ?
All spelling mistakes, grammatical errors and stupid comments are intentional.