Poll: Most iconic figure

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Most iconic figure

Jack Tramiel
24%
Alan Sugar
3%
Sir Clive Sinclair
37%
Shigerhu Miyamoto
16%
Ralph Baer
3%
Nolan Bushnell
17%

Total votes: 63

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed May 23, 2007 10:47 am

Honestly i didnt want to appear biased or that. Just growing up in the 80's it was Sir Clive as i lived in England and then of course Alan Sugar was well known like anything in the computer world.

Most of those other names as a kid growing up in England i hadnt heard of until much later and then of course i realised how much of an icon they all were.

But for me the huge early influence (and one major reason why i do computers for a career) was the bald coot Sir Clive

The Master

Post by The Master » Wed May 23, 2007 10:59 am

Go Go Baldy Slaphead!!

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Wed May 23, 2007 12:04 pm

What no Suzuki?
Watching you sleep since 1990

DanDare

Post by DanDare » Wed May 23, 2007 1:17 pm

FatTrucker wrote:Other iconic luminaries also found their way into the industry via Atari so its arguable without him there might have been no arcade industry, Apple Computers (which led to the birth of home micros and the PC) and games consoles.
I am never sure whether to agree with statements like that. If Bushnell had not have done what he did, then I am sure someone else would have come along and done it. It may have happened a little later, and it might not have happened exactly how it has happened, but I am sure it would have happened.

I'm finding this poll difficult to vote on. In terms of most recognisable then it's probably going to be Sir Alan Suger due to his television program, but when people look at him do they look at Sir Alan of Amstrad, Sir Alan of Tottenham Hotspur or Sir Alan off The Apprentice?

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed May 23, 2007 1:33 pm

Most iconic? Sir C - known by non-gamers also , a true 'mad professor'

close between Bushnell and Sugar for best beard
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 23, 2007 2:07 pm

DanDare wrote:I'm finding this poll difficult to vote on. In terms of most recognisable then it's probably going to be Sir Alan Suger due to his television program, but when people look at him do they look at Sir Alan of Amstrad, Sir Alan of Tottenham Hotspur or Sir Alan off The Apprentice?
It'd have to be Amstrad Alan for the purpose of the poll. If you start considering what Joe Public thinks of these people, Sir Clive is forever tainted by the C5 to most of them. They'd have no clue about the rest - Shigwhat?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Wed May 23, 2007 2:17 pm

Three of the most appaling polls, by someone that supposedly knows a thing or two about games.

How in the heck you can put all those names into a poll and NOT include Yu Suzuki is just scandalous.

Shame on you.

And please, no more polls unless you think about them PROPERLEY before hand! :twisted:
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Wed May 23, 2007 2:21 pm

Yeah, the lack of Yu Suzuki has got me peeved. I guess no one cares where THE arcade games come from anymore

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Wed May 23, 2007 2:22 pm

EvilArmourKing wrote: How in the heck you can put all those names into a poll and NOT include Yu Suzuki is just scandalous.
Didn't he make motorcycles?.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Wed May 23, 2007 2:23 pm

Ha ha, no wrong Suzuki, however he did make Hang On

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Wed May 23, 2007 2:28 pm

DanDare wrote:
FatTrucker wrote:Other iconic luminaries also found their way into the industry via Atari so its arguable without him there might have been no arcade industry, Apple Computers (which led to the birth of home micros and the PC) and games consoles.
I am never sure whether to agree with statements like that. If Bushnell had not have done what he did, then I am sure someone else would have come along and done it. It may have happened a little later, and it might not have happened exactly how it has happened, but I am sure it would have happened.
But no one else did, and at the time no-one else was doing it, so no Atari sees Steve Jobs designing missiles, no jobs sees no apple, no apple sees no home micro market...and so on and so forth.

I mentioned in the original post that at some point things may have happened anyway, but the industry would undoubtedly be a different shape. Bushnell was one of those rare instinctive entrepreneurs who invented an industry from scratch out of thin air, and had the vision and balls to take it forward starting from nothing with no template or precedent to base it on.

Who knows how long we might have had to wait until another person with that vision came along?. Christ we might only just be discovering Ghosts and Goblins and the ZX Spectrum. Afterall it was largely the drive in the games industry that moved other computer technology along, as is still the case.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Wed May 23, 2007 4:39 pm

FatTrucker wrote:
EvilArmourKing wrote: How in the heck you can put all those names into a poll and NOT include Yu Suzuki is just scandalous.
What are you? Comedian or Country Bumpkin?

Never make jokes about people who have contributed more to life (Video Games specifically) than you're certainley ever likely too.

I'm sorry, but I won't accept people making comments like that about someone that should be held in higher esteem.

I'm ANGRY :twisted:
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed May 23, 2007 5:07 pm

EvilArmourKing wrote:
FatTrucker wrote:

Never make jokes about people who have contributed more to life (Video Games specifically) than you're certainley ever likely too.

I'm sorry, but I won't accept people making comments like that about someone that should be held in higher esteem.

Can you see into the future then?
Splink!

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Wed May 23, 2007 5:08 pm

EvilArmourKing wrote:
FatTrucker wrote:

My apologies. I had no idea you were such a keen motorcyclist. :twisted:

On a more reaistic level though, games - certainly, but life?, lets keep some marginally credible perspective.

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Wed May 23, 2007 5:29 pm

Sega2006 wrote:Ha ha, no wrong Suzuki, however he did make Hang On
See! He was involved with motorcycles! :P

I think Miyamoto is a legend as far as the console scene goes. Sir Clive has my vote though because:

1. He's a fellow Brit and

2. He brought home computers, and games, to the masses (at least in the UK). :)