From The Forum issue 158 - Your favourite handheld

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

kiwimike

Re: From The Forum issue 158 - Your favourite handheld

Post by kiwimike » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:14 am

DRS wrote:I'm aware I may be on my own with this one, but mine is the MicroVision. Playing Block Buster in the back of my Dad's Renault 5 in 1979 felt like I was living in the future.
I did love the paddle controller on it! Suited breakout style games :)

Who's gonna vote Game.com? :wink:

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:32 am

joefish wrote:The GameBoy Micro is my favourite, by miles. The brilliantly clear screen, the form factor of an original NES controller, the long battery life, and the processing power to run conversions of SEGA's super-scaling arcade games all add up to a small miracle.
I agree with most of this. Currently have two Micros. Used to have four (pink, blue, green, silver!). Always wanted a Famicom one. It's an amazing piece of kit. I've took mine around the world and they're so handy - it's great to stick in your pocket and have in airports for example (if you don't want your phone battery to die). Brill collection of games.

HOWEVER! As much as I love the tiny Nintendo, my favourite handheld is... the Sony PSP. The system which pretty much got me back into gaming after a long period out. When I bought it i didn't realise you could hack it so bought all those retro compilations (of which there are many and some are excellent). And there are dozens of brilliant PSP games - I've got about 100, but have since sold many and just copied the ISO file. I didn't think the UMDs were ever as bad as some made out, and the thumb nub thing worked well enough. Not forgetting the lovely big screen! And when it's hacked it's just a marvel of portable retro gaming.

Handhelds are my favourite gaming devices - I've had the original GameBoy, the Pocket GameBoy, GameBoy Advance, Game Gear, DS, not to mention a fair few Game and Watches and cheap knock offs. My current gaming is on my android phone with a bluetooth controller. Was playing Snes Alien 3 on my lunch yesterday (jeez that's a tough game).

Anyway, to wrap up - PSP!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

emdkay

Post by emdkay » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:49 am

The GBA SP was and still is my favorite handheld. It's basically a more powerful, foldable, SNES. I got it at launch from Circuit City here in the states. It was my first handheld that automatically protected its precious screen when not in use :?

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:23 am

My first love: the GP2X. Being a retro gamer having the chance, in 2006, to run all of those console and arcade emulators and to play Out Run on the train, was a blast.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:08 pm

PSP - thanks to SCUMM VM , I can (legally!) play all my favourite Lucasfilm games on the move.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:57 am

Gameboy advance Sp , so many great games to mention but i spent way too much time on advance wars 1 and 2 , perfect little handheld .
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:36 pm

Would have said the GBA, But I only play the games through a big screen. So going to have to go with the original Gameboy, the only handheld I ever really played on. Borrowed it from a friend for a week as I was going on holiday, it came WWF superstars, Marioland, Double dragon, Tetris, and Turtles. What an amazing week.

sidney

Post by sidney » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:20 pm

Whilst its probably not the most popular choice for a variety of reasons like crap battery life, dubious screen quality and Master System ports coming out of its wazoo I really really like the Sega Game Gear, I love the shape of it,the chunkiness of it and I find it comfortable to use, getting a recapped one for Christmas a couple of years back made me a happy chappy....plus I love Master System games anyway!

RichL

Post by RichL » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:16 am

PSP for the emulators.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:56 pm

The original gameboy. I spent so long on mine i actually wore it out! I dont think i played anything as much as i played that little sucker!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:25 am

Hmm, Gameboy SP or PSP...

Tough one, but I think for portability the SP wins out, coupled with a CF card and I can play SuperMario World on the train epic WIN!