Future acquire Imagine

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

flatapex

Re: Future acquire Imagine

Post by flatapex » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:39 am

Megamixer wrote:Nice job with the site flatapex. Will likely join up myself as a precautionary measure against this place going down but if it becomes an independent forum in its own right then that's no bad thing either :)

My one suggestion...looking at the 'hello' thread with numerous responses, there seems to be no boundaries between posts, signatures/post contents or around quotes. Just looks like a long thread with a lot of replies might be difficult to follow. Is there anything that might tidy it up a bit?
It will be a theme issue, once sky pull their fingers out and give me a download speed above 1mb I will get on it.

I will need to probably change the theme to alternate colours like on here, or have borders around posts

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:05 pm

RichL wrote:Just signed up, cheers.

Is it a forum thing that I can't have an upper case R in my username when I registered definitely chose Rich.
Hi Rich, have done some research and its a proboards "feature", just means that you will be the only Rich on the forum irrespective of combinations of upper and lower case that anyone can try and choose

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:12 am

Darran/whoever in the know: I've been a subscriber to the digital ipad version for five years. Will it be affected? I have almost all Retro Gamer mags bought or subbed there, and I just got my sub for six months renewed.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:51 am

Nikolai wrote:Darran/whoever in the know: I've been a subscriber to the digital ipad version for five years. Will it be affected? I have almost all Retro Gamer mags bought or subbed there, and I just got my sub for six months renewed.
We're not owned by Future yet, so I can't tell you how it's going to affect your digital editions I'm afraid.

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:35 am

Okay, fair enough. I guess they won't screw me completely over at least. :lol:

I'd like to add that I am really enjoying the mag on the ipad btw. Five years and almost all backissues....it's been a blast. And very cheap compared to import the paper edition, I might add. Reading through load 40-something now. Pics back then were grainy, I am so glad you got the resolution fixed on the newer editions

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:01 pm

Any idea when Future take over Imagine? Is the Bournemouth office going to be shifted to a central one? Are Future going to communicate with its new customers?
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

RG_Drew

Post by RG_Drew » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:58 am

markopoloman wrote:Any idea when Future take over Imagine? Is the Bournemouth office going to be shifted to a central one? Are Future going to communicate with its new customers?
We're staying in Bournemouth. Can you imagine moving all of our retro stuff? It was hell on earth moving 20 feet across the office.

soopytwist

Post by soopytwist » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:15 am

I've just been sent a survey from CMA about my subscription to RG. This question concerns me a great deal:

4. Please imagine that the last time you came to pay for a subscription to Retro Gamer magazine you discovered that it was not being published any more.

What would you have done instead?

Please choose ONE answer only.
I would have bought, or taken out a paid subscription to, another magazine
I would have used an online source of similar content
I would have done something else instead
I would not have done anything else instead
Don’t know

I'd like to answer that I would kill the people responsible for taking my RG away, but that doesn't appear to be an option.

EDIT

Oh, it allows me to elaborate on my choice of "I would so something else instead". I've subbed RG for 8 years and I own all back issues from issue 1. There's a place in hell for anyone who takes my RG away.

This is the best, and final, question I've been asked in the survey:

6. Finally, which of the following, if any, describe your reason(s) for paying to subscribe to Retro Gamer magazine?

Please choose as many answers as apply.
The magazine’s content is relevant to my work
The magazine’s content is relevant to my studies
The magazine’s content is relevant to my hobbies/leisure activities/personal interests
I paid for the subscription as a gift for a family member/friend
I’m responsible for my place of work’s corporate subscription to the magazine
Don't know
Another reason (please use the space below to tell us)

And my answer:

Another reason (please use the space below to tell us)...
I'm 40. Nostalgia for my childhood is the only damn thing I've got to look forward to.

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:51 pm

4. Please imagine that the last time you came to pay for a subscription to Retro Gamer magazine you discovered that it was not being published any more.

I answered:- I would not have done anything else instead

RG is the only magazine I subscribe too since Future canceled my Amiga Format sub. I had to receive issues of Edge instead until the sub was up.
If they cancel RG I would not subscribe to any other mag.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:59 am

Man, those questions are definitely concerning. I don't think they realise the passionate fight they would have on their hands if they are sounding out an idea there.

I ****ing hate it when a company will buy another out then their so called creative thinking team like to start ****ing around with it :x

russty_russ

Post by russty_russ » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:07 pm

I just hope Retro Gamer has a future (geddit) Future's takeover does concern me, I understand its a business decision but theres us readers that get forgotten about.

My worry is that Retro Gamer closes and a new Future mag opens as Retro Gamesmaster inline with the Gamesmaster brand or worse still, theres no Retro Gamer at all in any form and becomes a section with Gamesmaster

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:15 pm

Can anyone at RG advise what to do with renewing subscriptions to RG? Mine is up for renewal in one issue - should I be subscribing through the Imagine site? Is it guaranteed to be covered by Future if I do so?

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:16 am

russty_russ wrote:I just hope Retro Gamer has a future (geddit) Future's takeover does concern me, I understand its a business decision but theres us readers that get forgotten about.

My worry is that Retro Gamer closes and a new Future mag opens as Retro Gamesmaster inline with the Gamesmaster brand or worse still, theres no Retro Gamer at all in any form and becomes a section with Gamesmaster
Perhaps as customers of the mag we should email Future and straight up ask them

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:18 am

This is from the Competition and Markets Authority so I assume it's not so much about mags going away, more, what do customers see as alternatives i.e. would merging these two companies have an effect on competition in the market. It just so happens that RG is the only dedicated print mag out there.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:25 am

Hi all. Just a note to calm any fears… Retro Gamer is here to stay and is not going to change. I promise it will carry on being the magazine you love regardless.

RetroBob is right – this survey is just standard procedure. Nothing to be concerned about. All subscription renewals etc should go to Imagine until further notice (and don’t worry – we will tell you when anything changes!).

It is genuinely touching to see so many of you care so much about the magazine. Your support is the reason why we work so hard to make it better and better and it's why the magazine will carry on and on and on.