Future acquire Imagine

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

flatapex

Re: Future acquire Imagine

Post by flatapex » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:14 pm

I'm lost by sci-fi references.

I like to think of my forums like a straight to dvd film that turns out to be quite good.

you really want to hate it but almost feel sorry for the fact that someone vaguely familiar is doing something half decent on what is clearly a budget of next to nothing.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:58 am

If they kill the forum, I'd back RVG as a suitable alternative. There's a fair few people here use it already anyway, it's fairly well established having been around for a while and would save further fragmenting the relatively small community by having yet another forum started. People only have so much time to spare for forums, so converging on a single existing one wouldn't be a bad idea rather than creating a new one. Without the mag behind it and promoting the URL, any new forum is going to have problems attracting new members so it could well dwindle out. At least RVG has a proven record over the last few years.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:10 pm

RVG's forum might have a proven record but it's got about fifty million sub sections of retro drone. I reckon the dedicated retro spotters on here would go for it but I'm assuming they're already there. Any port in a storm though really I guess for the community minded folks. If this place goes and there's no new place I reckon I'll just stick with rllmuk and The Escapist until they eventually disappear too.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:31 pm

Yeah, I'd agree on too many subforums on RVG, but I rarely do anything other than hit the 'view new posts' button on forums, so don't often notice that unless I'm starting a new topic.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:35 pm

RVG? good grief, have you seen the state of it!

it's the most compartmentalized forum I've ever seen, ridiculous, like it's been set up by a mentally ill obsessive

shame Koops forum got hacked, that was a decent set up and already had quite a few from here registered

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:33 pm

If there is going to be a replacement for this place, we need to work together and agree where its going to be and what it will look like, otherwise we will be divided and dwindled.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:51 pm

I think I'm still a member over at RVG but Beans has a point - HOW MANY SECTIONS!! :shock: That's bonkers!

But if this place were to go down then RVG would be a good place to get us all together and discuss what to do next - be it another forum or stick out out on a forum with what looks like 298 sections...
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:02 pm

theretrocanteen (my site) is the opposite, 4 sections, 7 categories.

Whatever we do needs to be agreed by all. rvg has the advantage over my site that it is established, whereas mine was created tonight, has one assigned admin (me) and has only just been taken out of maintenance mode to show where i am up to.

I would be happy to go with the result of a unanimous vote, anything to keep the community together

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:00 am

Too many sections at tne canteen.

All you need is games and off topic. If it isn't games, its off topic.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:02 am

its a work in progress, site feedback and the shop will be staying though.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:10 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Too many sections at tne canteen.

Gotta have a trading section. It's just better all round if sellers & buyers have their own section.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:41 am

The Beans wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:Too many sections at tne canteen.

Gotta have a trading section. It's just better all round if sellers & buyers have their own section.
Agreed, I wouldn't wish ebay on anyone

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:19 pm

We expect you to fight our corner Darren! Just change the logo at the top please. My post count obviously means I'm very important here! ;)

zapiy

Post by zapiy » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:15 pm

Mentally ill? Strange thing to say..

Anyway yes the site is perhaps board heavy but recent forum feedback approves of this so it stays as it is but thanks Antiriad2097 for the positive words..

As before, if Future are to close this I will happily work with anyone on here to move the database into a new board.. I would not need any further access of permissions, just helping keep this going will be good enough for me and hopefully show some of you that may have negative thoughts about me, us and RVG that we are pretty decent chaps.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:24 pm

I would happily work with others too.

I have 7 years moderator experience, plus experience with proboards (phpbb was when i was a moderator, have only ever been admin on proboards)