OFFICIAL FEEDBACK FOR ISSUE 38 ***

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Mon May 21, 2007 9:09 pm

neuromancer wrote:Regarding the definitive Frogger, I've only skipped through it but I can't see mention of John Harris's Atari 8 bit version - the story behind this is fascinating (and well covered in Levy's Hackers book)
That sort of thing isn't really The Definitive's brief - there's nothing remarkable about the actual Atari 800 version of the game itself. How it came to be IS an interesting story, but one which belongs in a Making Of, or at a stretch a Conversion Capers. By and large, The Definitive only deals with the characteristics of the actual games themselves, not the people or stories behind them. (And as has been observed in this thread, the Frogger piece was more than long enough already...)

If you want to hear about weird Atari 800 incarnations of games, wait until RG commissions The Definitive Space Invaders, which I'm hoping will be soon.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue May 22, 2007 2:39 am

Craig - well done on the Barbarian piece, the captions were fantastic :D

Ash

Post by Ash » Tue May 22, 2007 3:13 am

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:
If you want to hear about weird Atari 800 incarnations of games, wait until RG commissions The Definitive Space Invaders, which I'm hoping will be soon.
When are you doing Pac-Man, Stu? I'm gagging for it.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue May 22, 2007 3:52 am

SirClive wrote:Craig - well done on the Barbarian piece, the captions were fantastic :D
Glad you liked it/them. That was a good-captions day. I was glad to see most of the dev artwork Steve sent over (and a few of the photos) made it into print, too, seeing as most of that stuff was previously unseen.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Tue May 22, 2007 4:09 am

Ash wrote:When are you doing Pac-Man, Stu?
Personally I'd like to tackle it after Space Invaders, but it's all in Darran's hands - he's the man with the commissions...

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue May 22, 2007 4:44 am

Very happy to see a huge 1 page feature on Blizzards Rift. Thought the review for Cannon Bubble was a bit harsh, not harsh in a 'Farmer Jack 'sort of way ;) but saying "such titles are increasingly ten-a-penny' was a bit harsh.

The reason a lot of us raved over this game is because theres been nothing like this similar on the Speccy every before. I know this sort of game has been released on practically every other machine but never the Speccy before so we're all quite happy to get our 'own' version so to speak

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue May 22, 2007 4:46 am

Well you want to have a look at my review on the next issue of RGCD then psj, I was a lot nicer about it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue May 22, 2007 4:55 am

Looking forward to it. Anyway wasnt a moan, just a small tiny gripe. Happy as hell Retro Gamer feature games like this for older systems

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue May 22, 2007 7:32 am

Only had a brief look through so far, read the Dragon's Lair conversion capers this morning.

Really enjoyable article, I never realised the 8 bit ones were based on a Coleco game instead of being an original Software Projects game as I'd assumed.

Shame there's no mention of Dragon's Lair 3D though, as it really is a nice little game retaining much of the character of the original but adding some platforming puzzle gameplay to it. I think its a quality addition to the series and slots neatly between the retro games you mention and the latest HD release. Its also very easy to find for next to nothing, being available on all the last gen systems. I'm of a mind to drag out the GC version for my Wii now.

Until I read this article, I never realised how many different versions of this I own: The C64 one was my first game for that system (and I bought the sequel). I have the Atari ST one, the SNES one and a DVD release too, and of course a Daphne compatible version.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Tue May 22, 2007 7:38 am

Farmer Jack review harsh? I dont know what you mean.

This issue has reminded me why I love RG so much.

The Dragons Lair piece was excellent, reminding me of my days playing the CBM64 version and struggling to find the diagonals with my old Atari joystick on that awful falling platform level, didnt have a clue about the develpment issues going on in the background, and had certainly never heard of coleco's Adam, happy days indeed.

Forgot all about the ZX81 Frogger too, my cousin had this and got into many arguments about it being better than Horace Goes Skiing, because it was official. The original Fifa vs Pro Evo perhaps. Does the Parker Brothers Videopac Frogger come under the VCS version, is this the same one on a different format?
Just where is Mickey T?

bolda

Post by bolda » Tue May 22, 2007 7:49 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Probably the worst cover , but the content is nice - and I love the Dragons Lair and Pirates articles
Sounds like I must be in the minority in thinking that the mag cover is superb... one of the best yet. Granted, the NES isn't the most attractive console to look at but the fact that something so ugly can provide such joy is an interesting juxtaposition! (I think my girlfriend said something like that to me once!) :D Also, the NES controllers are iconic so it's lovely to see them gracing the front of the magazine.

Only thumbed through the issue so far but it is looking very good, lots of content that I'm looking forward to.

And just to pick up on one more small error, the contents page has a paragraph about David Crane's Pitfall 2... I suspect this is a cut'n'paste error from last month's issue. (consider my coat "got")

Cracking stuff! :D
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

merman

Post by merman » Tue May 22, 2007 7:54 am

A very good issue with some excellent articles, and a lot of interesting insider information. Kudos to Martyn for the Dragon's Lair piece and to Craig for some of the fascinating details behind the Barbarian games, and I really enjoyed the Virtuality piece too. Making of Goldeneye had some highlights too; an inspired idea to get the people involved playing the game again!
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Heavy Stylus

Post by Heavy Stylus » Tue May 22, 2007 9:02 am

SirClive wrote:Well you want to have a look at my review on the next issue of RGCD then psj, I was a lot nicer about it.
And deservedly too. Bust-a-move clones on the speccy are 10-a-penny? Not to my knowledge.

Issue two *will* be out by the 14th of June. I've set a deadline(!) (Should have been finished by now, but real life has got in the way).

Clive - did you get my email? How's things? Still up for Retro North?

Oh - and back to the original thread topic - got my first £1 subscriber copy yesterday and really enjoyed it. Still, I can't believe Questy got marked so high compared to the aforementioned remake... I know which game I'd rather play.
http://www.rgcd.co.uk
8-128 Bit & beyond: Indie game development news for vintage & modern computer hardware.

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Tue May 22, 2007 9:31 am

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:
neuromancer wrote:Regarding the definitive Frogger, I've only skipped through it but I can't see mention of John Harris's Atari 8 bit version - the story behind this is fascinating (and well covered in Levy's Hackers book)
That sort of thing isn't really The Definitive's brief - there's nothing remarkable about the actual Atari 800 version of the game itself. How it came to be IS an interesting story, but one which belongs in a Making Of, or at a stretch a Conversion Capers. By and large, The Definitive only deals with the characteristics of the actual games themselves, not the people or stories behind them. (And as has been observed in this thread, the Frogger piece was more than long enough already...)

Good points, well made. I shall make recompense for my comments by reading some zx80 machine code in hex for half an hour.

BTW I really enjoyed the Frogger article - I can't believe I never had a copy of it for my ZX81.
Last edited by neuromancer on Tue May 22, 2007 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Tue May 22, 2007 9:38 am

Am pleased this issue has restored my faith in the mag, I had felt it was really running out of ideas, but with this issue I can't say there is one article I would want to skip, I shall be keeping my sub going. Rock on Retro Gamer. :D
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.