OFFICIAL FEEDBACK FOR ISSUE 38 ***

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Ash

Post by Ash » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:14 am

Stephen_FM wrote: I found it great, all the features where excellent, although the "Conversion capers" could have been about a better game, but I appreciate that this is issue 38 and I might have missed previous one's that featured better games.
I personally thought the choice of Dragon's Lair was a briliant one. Think about it, how many arcade games have had such a chequered history when it comes to their home conversions? Up until the mid-1990s it was impossible to replicate the game in the home so I found it quite interesting to see all the different approaches that the various conversions took.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:10 am

I agree regarding Dragon's Lair. The point about these pieces is not 'here's a great game' (that's reserved for 'classic games' and making-ofs), but 'here's a game that has some interesting stuff regarding the conversions'. Dragon's Lair was so utterly ahead of the hardware of the time, and yet some of the conversions somehow managed to retain some of the elements of the original. The fact that the original game isn't all that great is kind of neither here nor there as far as I'm concerned—at least if the article's interesting and reads well.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:55 am

Conversion Capers certainly adds value to the mag.

Personally I think this issue is the strongest for a while, maybe its just me, but I really do think the information in the mag isnt of the freely availble on the net variety.

Loved Frogger piece despite despising the game, on all formats. The VR piece was brilliant and Dragons Lair was sublime, more than any other issue this mag made me remember me as a kid in the arcades and at home, and being a 20 something who loved gaming and was sure Virtual Reality would change the way we lived forever.

Happy Days
Just where is Mickey T?

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:15 am

The Universal wrote:I really do think the information in the mag isnt of the freely availble on the net variety.
That's one of the 'value' elements of Retro Gamer—its features-to-pages ratio is higher than the majority of other mags out there (especially gaming mags).
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

voodoofish

Post by voodoofish » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:54 am

I think I always bang on about the fact that there should me more coverage of text adventure games so I'll say it again MORE COVERAGE ON TEXT ADVENTURE GAMES and then go on to say that this has been the best non-adventure issue for ages!

Archer - Back on form with this, felt like it was getting a bit 'and then I fixed another arcade machine' but suddenly he proves why he deserves the column ;)

Back to the Eighties - always like this bit

Making Of....Goldeneye - Class game - great article.

Developer Lookback - couldn't be arsed. And over 3 issues???

Making Of...Barbarian I and II - Funny and really readabl.e

Definitive Frogger - Haven't read it yet... not really that bothered

Making Of....Pirates! Will definitely be playing these as I haven't previously

Retroinspection - Read this with some scepticism as to whether I would like it but was a good read.

Rise and Fall of Virtuality - Ditto this.

Making Of...Superfrog - Completely forgotten how excellent a game this was - more Amiga games please.

Classic Game - Still no classic adventure games? They mustn't have been any... but Captain Blood - it was good, this was well written and I enjoyed it but please please mention an adventure game soon I've been subscribing since issue 3!

Conversion Capers - Good laugh, interesting and had not really played these.

Overall - Some good features and I liked the fact that some were longer - did what retro gamer does best, reminded me of classics I played and classics I want to play. I don't expect to like everything so any criticisms I made are purely personal observation. Great issue :)
This is my website http://www.adammaxwell.com so there.

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:24 pm

I think if you read the SNK piece you will see why it is over 3 parts, Sega Capcom, Konami, Atari and Nintendo et al would all require equal or more space to do them justice.

Ocean and Gremlin to name but two previous cps didnt really have a very long lifespan and achieved many things in a short period, SNK as with all those above touched many of the companies that would create the 8 bit boom and are largely unrecognised for their innovation in the industry, both in hardware and software terms.
Just where is Mickey T?

voodoofish

Post by voodoofish » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:36 am

*Gets ready to duck and cover*
Just leafed through it last night and have to be honest at first glance there weren't any SNK games I would be interested in revisiting. Just my personal taste of course - not saying they're rubbish!
And I do realise that I probably would have said the same thing about Pirates until I read the RG article...
Although some of them have been pretty good, the last developer lookback I was desperate to read was the Delta 4 one... go figure...
This is my website http://www.adammaxwell.com so there.

thl

Post by thl » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:30 am

Managed to get a copy of that issue. Very interesting article on the NES, SNK and GoldenEye.

Despite mixed reaction made about Rastan, I thought it's quite a good game. First play it on the Master System, it's a brilliant conversion.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:33 am

thl wrote:Despite mixed reaction made about Rastan, I thought it's quite a good game. First play it on the Master System, it's a brilliant conversion.
I have never played Rastan in the arcade before. I remember seeing it as a child and so rushed out and bought the C64 version......To be fair, its not that bad.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:11 pm

Rastan was rather wonderful in the arcade, people used to que for ages to last but a few minutes, it wasnt until the home versions that I actually realised that the swinging ropes werent the end of the game :)
Just where is Mickey T?

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:31 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:The CPC managed only 7%—Darran's now alternating between sobbing under his desk and stomping around Bournemouth in a furious rage*. But what of the missing 2%?

* May not be entirely factually accurate.
It's an in-justice - the CPC should've been #1 :x

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:26 pm

I used to play Rastan down Poole Quay arcade. Ahh, happy memories

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:19 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I used to play Rastan down Poole Quay arcade. Ahh, happy memories
Thinking about it - I have the Taito compilation on PS2 that has Bubble Bobble. I think its on there, will have a go when I get home.....
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

tom1234567

Post by tom1234567 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:27 am

Archer's article's are always most excellent, make sure you keep him on.

Dragon's Lair was well done, that reminds me:
Wasn't there a British or US company selling a connection for connecting an Atari ST to a laser disc player and enabling you to play the laser disc game?
I think the price was GBP 200 for connector and game on laser disc, or GBP 1500 for the same + a Pioneer laser disc player.
I recall seeing an advert for in in some Atari magazine, or NCE or even ZZap! 64.

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:39 am

tom1234567 wrote:Archer's article's are always most excellent, make sure you keep him on.

Dragon's Lair was well done, that reminds me:
Wasn't there a British or US company selling a connection for connecting an Atari ST to a laser disc player and enabling you to play the laser disc game?
I think the price was GBP 200 for connector and game on laser disc, or GBP 1500 for the same + a Pioneer laser disc player.
I recall seeing an advert for in in some Atari magazine, or NCE or even ZZap! 64.
Its odd what people will pay for something that they want, the arcade cabs would have been cheaper.
Just where is Mickey T?