OFFICIAL FEEDBACK FOR ISSUE 38 ***

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun May 27, 2007 7:58 am

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:
MrCrusher wrote:Still too much space devoted to the DS and PSP though. Coverage of converted classics is OK yet it seems as though more and more space is given over to games on these formats that are not really retro- Harvest Moon DS, Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass? a new DS game not released until Dec07!!
Saying retro games have to be old games is a very narrow definition. Personally I think practically anything that's in 2D is "retro".
hear hear.

And besides, these round-ups only very occassionally come along now. The last DS one for example was back in issue 26. Admittedly, some of the games like Cooking Mama were very tenuous, but I still feel that if you like playing a certain type of retro game you're going to enjoy these as well.

MrCrusher

Post by MrCrusher » Sun May 27, 2007 7:01 pm

Check out the RG diaries for issues 36, 37 and 38, pages 10, 10 and 12 respectively to see what I mean. I didn't bother to check earlier issues- would I need too?

Notice any similarity at all?

Some of the screenshots are reused - fair enough, but why are some of the articles repeated in entirety.

We don't really need the info repeated (3 times in some cases-eg-Crazy Taxi Fare Wars). Most of these games will no doubt gain perhaps a 1/4 or 1/2 page (or more) feature in a later issue, if they've not done so already.

It's not just for DS and PSP either. The Wii and XB360 are beginning to gain more coverage. Excitebike was retro rated in issue 31 then a 2 page spread in issue 38.

I realise that the magazine has a budget to adhere too and that every article in the mag has a cost in both time and money. The reuse of previous articles would be a great time saver as well as easy "padding out". I presume this is why the Bargain Hunt section appears in every issue. Perhaps this should be limited to appear every other issue instead although the retro auction section should be expanded- perhaps as a reader driven page but that is not the issue here.

I know this seems like I'm against covering the new systems, I'm not. It just seems there's a lot off space in the mag wasted on them.
Love

MrCrusher

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon May 28, 2007 6:00 am

MrCrusher wrote:Check out the RG diaries for issues 36, 37 and 38, pages 10, 10 and 12 respectively to see what I mean. I didn't bother to check earlier issues- would I need too?

Notice any similarity at all?

Some of the screenshots are reused - fair enough, but why are some of the articles repeated in entirety.

We don't really need the info repeated (3 times in some cases-eg-Crazy Taxi Fare Wars). Most of these games will no doubt gain perhaps a 1/4 or 1/2 page (or more) feature in a later issue, if they've not done so already.

It's not just for DS and PSP either. The Wii and XB360 are beginning to gain more coverage. Excitebike was retro rated in issue 31 then a 2 page spread in issue 38.

I realise that the magazine has a budget to adhere too and that every article in the mag has a cost in both time and money. The reuse of previous articles would be a great time saver as well as easy "padding out". I presume this is why the Bargain Hunt section appears in every issue. Perhaps this should be limited to appear every other issue instead although the retro auction section should be expanded- perhaps as a reader driven page but that is not the issue here.

I know this seems like I'm against covering the new systems, I'm not. It just seems there's a lot off space in the mag wasted on them.
It's called standing copy all magazines normally have a certain amount of pages devoted to them.
The diary normally only gets updated when new information about the mentioned games gets revealed.

dpg50000

Post by dpg50000 » Mon May 28, 2007 6:16 am

Sabreman wrote:There's a typo in the 'Perfect Ten NES Games' - it seems that Solar Jetman has been accidentally replaced with Double Dragon 2.
Not to mention the typo in the contents sections - bottom of the page under the SNK heading it tells us how David Crane is returning to talk about his superior Pitfall sequel.

Shoddy.... :roll:

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon May 28, 2007 9:55 am

dpg50000 wrote:
Sabreman wrote:There's a typo in the 'Perfect Ten NES Games' - it seems that Solar Jetman has been accidentally replaced with Double Dragon 2.
Not to mention the typo in the contents sections - bottom of the page under the SNK heading it tells us how David Crane is returning to talk about his superior Pitfall sequel.

thanks for the feedback, that's very helpful :roll:

Darth Nuno

Post by Darth Nuno » Mon May 28, 2007 3:59 pm

I really enjoyed the article on 'The Rise & Fall of Virtuality', thank you :)

It's crazy... I remember played such games at the Trocadero in London something like 15 years ago... I remember that I wasn't able to understand something in the game play... maybe because my 'too bad english' at the time (and even now), when the operator tryed to explain us how to play :oops:
I also rember a very very very poor frames rate too :?

Great article :P
Image Image

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Tue May 29, 2007 4:47 am

Darth Nuno wrote:I really enjoyed the article on 'The Rise & Fall of Virtuality', thank you :)

It's crazy... I remember played such games at the Trocadero in London something like 15 years ago... I remember that I wasn't able to understand something in the game play... maybe because my 'too bad english' at the time (and even now), when the operator tryed to explain us how to play :oops:
I also rember a very very very poor frames rate too :?

Great article :P
Yeah, the frame rate wasn't brilliant on a lot of the Virtuality stuff. It was probably a bit too early to be using 3D technology in that way. I remember playing on a unit in my local Beatties and I got motion sickness. :( But hey, you've got to hand it to them for trying!

Glad you liked the feature and thanks for the feedback. :)

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue May 29, 2007 5:00 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
dpg50000 wrote:

thanks for the feedback, that's very helpful :roll:
I had a slight crease on one of the pages - Shoddy....
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Tue May 29, 2007 12:51 pm

I liked the appearance of Mario on the front cover in place of the asterisk after 'Retro' in the Retro Gamer title...

jimbobmitch

Post by jimbobmitch » Tue May 29, 2007 12:52 pm

Just been devouring my copy over a long weekend :D

I liked it a lot, particularly the Goldeneye article. I accept that some of the articles are going to pass me by, like a lot of the NES stuff, but I always learn something new!

Availability is an issue, though, so I'm subscribing soon! :D
Throwing a spanner in the works since '77.

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Tue May 29, 2007 5:00 pm

jimbobmitch wrote:
I was in the local town center earlier in Smiths and had to look incredibly hard for RG (although I don't need it as I'm a subscriber) - it was tucked away in a dark corner, in a far less prominent position than the RG Bookazine. How is anybody supposed to find it? Publications which I'd think would be far more marginal ('Monitoring monthly'?) get front-of-shelf top-of-display locations...

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Wed May 30, 2007 6:01 am

neuromancer wrote:
jimbobmitch wrote:
I was in the local town center earlier in Smiths and had to look incredibly hard for RG (although I don't need it as I'm a subscriber) - it was tucked away in a dark corner, in a far less prominent position than the RG Bookazine. How is anybody supposed to find it? Publications which I'd think would be far more marginal ('Monitoring monthly'?) get front-of-shelf top-of-display locations...
Maybe the other publishers are paying for the prominent space (its commonly done)?

Jedit

Post by Jedit » Wed May 30, 2007 9:35 am

Not to mention that Railroad Tycoon was apparently a graphically superior port of Sid Meier's Pirates! "Avast, ye scurvy swabs ... the train shiverin' yer timbers at Platform 2 be the 9:17 to Bristol. Arrr!"

There was also a Virtuality game missing from the list. It was a four-man deathmatch game where you controlled a giant mecha, which I believe went under the name "Titan-X" or "Tyran-X" - memory fades a bit now, but it was definitely one of the two. It was one of the earlier games, released alongside Dactyl Nightmare.

Stephen_FM

Post by Stephen_FM » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:59 pm

I've only just started reading the mag this issue, primarily because I grew up on the NES.

I found it great, all the features where excellent, although the "Conversion capers" could have been about a better game, but I appreciate that this is issue 38 and I might have missed previous one's that featured better games.

I'm now hopefully not going to waste too much money buying the NEX system, if the damn site ships worldwide, and a NES.

Things that annoyed me though was the amount of spelling mistakes there were. I realize that you are still a new magazine and are not the media giants like EDGE, which by the way was behind RG in WHSmiths, but on ethe fist page for example there is "...Retro Gamer will be more interactive than either." [start of the second paragraph under D.J's ugly mug], I don't know whether this is printing error, bad spelling or bad editing but for my simple mind, made numb by hours of pong and space invaders, I had to read a few lines more than once.

Despite that I will most probably be subscribing soon.

Edit:
LeeT wrote:
neuromancer wrote:
jimbobmitch wrote: I was in the local town center earlier in Smiths and had to look incredibly hard for RG (although I don't need it as I'm a subscriber) - it was tucked away in a dark corner, in a far less prominent position than the RG Bookazine. How is anybody supposed to find it? Publications which I'd think would be far more marginal ('Monitoring monthly'?) get front-of-shelf top-of-display locations...
Maybe the other publishers are paying for the prominent space (its commonly done)?
I give you one guess as to where all the Playstation mags where, and another guess as to where the Nintendo ones where.
Last edited by Stephen_FM on Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grey is cool.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:24 pm

Stephen_FM wrote:I've only just started reading the mag this issue, primarily because I grew up on the NES.

I found it great, all the features where excellent, although the "Conversion capers" could have been about a better game, but I appreciate that this is issue 38 and I might have missed previous one's that featured better games.

I'm now hopefully not going to waste too much money buying the NEX system, if the damn site ships worldwide, and a NES.

Things that annoyed me though was the amount of spelling mistakes there were. I realize that you are still a new magazine and are not the media giants like EDGE, which by the way was behind RG in WHSmiths, but on ethe fist page for example there is "...Retro Gamer will be more interactive than either." [start of the second paragraph under D.J's ugly mug], I don't know whether this is printing error, bad spelling or bad editing but for my simple mind, made numb by hours of pong and space invaders, I had to read a few lines more than once.

Despite that I will most probably be subscribing soon.
Glad you liked the mag. As for the errors, well we've been in between subs at the moment, so there's been a few more who hars than normal...